Downloading apps via USB

rfronz1

Mar 16, 2011
Hello all,

i have what might be a stupid question. is there a way to download apps from the android market or appbrains using just the usb cable. there are some apps on these markets that show up when i am browse to them on my home pc but not when i use the market apps on my NC. when i am in Android Market on my PC and my nook is pluged into the usb port, i click the "install" button for an app and it asks me to choose a device, but the only device listed is one that says "phone" w/ a graphic of the little android guy and it is greyed out.... any advise???

thanks Rob

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
fronz1, you can side load apps which means you can copy them to the root directory (the main part) of your SD card. You can do this over USB, by using an SD card reader with your pc or even move the files over to the SD wirelesly using an app like samba. Once you have the .apk (the file an app will be) on the SD card you can use a file explorer like Astro or ES File Explorer to install the app.

rfronz1

Mar 16, 2011
Thank you .. i will give that a try and see how it works.. thank you very much.
rob

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
You can not download apps from the Market, AppBrain or Amazon App Store, to your computer.

You need to have AppBrain, Amazon and of course the Market istalled on your device in order to use either of their web services.

If your device does not show up, the App will not work on your device.

Once they are on the device, you can use your computer to send apps via the web sites for each service.

Example ...

You find BOB's App on the Amazon App web page. If you have the Amazon Market on your device, your device will show up on the list of selected devices on the web page. You will have to go to the MY APPS section of the Amazon App to complete download.