Downloading books onto Coby Kyros 7015

greta.b

Jan 12, 2011
You don't need to root your tablet to get nook or kindle I have them both on mine without rooting. Go to appslib download apk.share and from there you can get kindle and nook and apk.share is much easier to use than appslib. Hope this helps

fxdominicano

Feb 4, 2011
That's true but if you root it you'll have a lot more benefits.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

greta.b

Jan 12, 2011
I know you're right about rooting it but I really don't need to and I tend to go by the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" with my luck I'll do something horribly wrong and wind up with an expensive paperweight. I just use my tablet for audiobooks from my library, books from kindle. Facebook and email, I'm an arts and crafts exhibitor so when I'm at a show I use it to put in my credit card charges. I'm happy with the apps I can get from apk.share. I don't watch videos on it or play games other than solitare or hangman and with jorte I can keep track of shows and the expenses I incur while I'm on the road. My tech ability is probably in the low intermediate range, I've gotten better at it since I switched to linux on my home computer but still not great. I love my tablet and would be really sad if I messed it up trying to root it.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
greta.b,
apk.share --?--
sounds a lot like pirate copies. Read the agreement with AppsLib or GoogleMarket and you'll see that copying is prohibited. Copied and pirated software has also been reported as much more likely to contain mal-ware such as spyware that could read all your keystrokes and credit card numbers.
Very bad idea. Want more? Here is another site that I think looks like a pirate site because it asks users to upload/share apps:
Download free Kindle app for Android at Freeware Lovers

jeanine

Mar 11, 2011
Can anyone help me with updating my 7015. I get the error message"no such file or directory" on thensd card.

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
greta.b,
apk.share --?--
sounds a lot like pirate copies. Read the agreement with AppsLib or GoogleMarket and you'll see that copying is prohibited. Copied and pirated software has also been reported as much more likely to contain mal-ware such as spyware that could read all your keystrokes and credit card numbers.
Very bad idea. Want more? Here is another site that I think looks like a pirate site because it asks users to upload/share apps:
Download free Kindle app for Android at Freeware Lovers

I have to agree with Ridgeland here. Before I rooted my Colby, I sideloaded the Kindle app from the link he provided and that route is 100% safe. You can go to that site from your Coby and download straight to the SD and install with no worries. Happy reading.

Sent from my Android Tablet Zone - HoneyComb V9.0.0

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Jeanine,
I see you did move your question to a new post - thanks.

Sketch_Says,
What I said is that even Freeware Lovers may be open to abuse. I have Kindle 2.0.4 which is the current version listed on Amazon and on Freeware Lovers. What's to keep a mal-ware company from uploading a fake 2.0.5? Seeing a newer version visitors would download it not 2.0.4. Or if Amazon releases a new version 2.1.0 available only on Market and Amazon Appstore what's to say the first upload that reaches Freeware Lovers would not be from a mal-ware company. I think mal-ware has gone way past the script-kiddie level. With Windows I think system weaknesses are a frequent and continuing exploit. Another weakness is users assuming those FREE ringtones, games etc are safe to download and play. Android lets users open the door to abused FREE ringtones, games and app copies.

erotomaniac

Apr 13, 2011
Hello all,

I was able to add ebooks to Aldiko (the default ebook reader of Kyros) on both the Nand memory and SD card. It seems Aldiko scans only the Nand memory for books by default so if you want your ebooks in your SD card then you should disable the Nand memory so Aldiko will scan the SD card.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Connect your Kyros to your PC
2. Mount either the Nand memory or SD card storage depending on where you want your ebooks to be saved:
-- a. Once connected, wait for the USB icon/s that will appear at the top left of your tablet's screen
-- b. Click on the menu button of the tablet
-- c. Select "Notifications"
-- d. Tap on "USB connected(Internal)" to mount the Nand memory storage or "USB connected(Internal)" to mount the SD card storage

3. Open the storage you mounted on your PC (1st one is the Nand and 2nd one is the SD card)
4. Make an "eBooks" (case sensitive) folder on the root directory of the storage you opened if there are none
5. Open the "eBooks" folder you created
6. Make an "import" folder
7. Copy your epub ebook in the "import" folder you just created. It MUST be in epub format (ends in ".epub")
8. Safely remove the storage from your computer

If you copied your ebook in the SD card, follow these sub-steps first, otherwise move on to step 9:
-- a. On your Kyros, open "Settings"
-- b. Open "SD card & device storage"
-- c. Tap on "Unmount Nand Memory" to disable it
-- d. Close everything

9. On your Kyros, open Aldiko
10. While on the home screen, press the menu button, a menu will appear
11. Tap on "Import", a message will appear about "Import Books"
12. Tap on the "Import" button again, a "Confirm Import" message will appear, wait a couple of seconds, try 10 secs.
13. Tap on "OK"
14. A message should appear saying the ebook was successfully imported.

Your ebook should now appear in Aldiko's Bookshelf

Remember to re-enable the Nand memory.

Last edited:

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Thanks erotomanic for the detailed instructions, nice to see.
I tried it but did not get /sdcard/eBooks/book.epub to import even after first unmounting /nand/. Maybe because I already had /nand/ set up.
There other readers, I have been using FBReader which is very easy to use and can find books anywhere on the Tablet. I use FBReader and Kindle. FBReader cannot read the ebooks from Amazon for Kindle.

BobOnTampaBay

Mar 24, 2011
For those woh want Nook on their Coby. There is now an app for that on Appslib.You can simply download it to your Kyros.

Bob

violent23

Jul 6, 2011
Once you get the Kindle app installed you can download free retail quality eBooks on mobibookz | ebooks in .mobi format. The whole site is .mobi format eBooks, so they will all work on the Kindle app. You can browse the site on the tablet and download any eBook you want into the tablets memory. No having to use a computer to get eBooks.

Blessedat50

Jun 25, 2013
I am very new here and could someone give me the steps for root it. I have been trying to pay for my ebooks on FeedbooKs it will not take my credit card. I just want to enjoy my Coby Andriod Tablet that my children buy for me on Mother's Day. Please help a lady who love reading.
Thanks