Downloading Email Attachments

rogered

Aug 1, 2013
The USB port on my momo9 tablet is broken but as I only use it for ebooks I thought that's OK I'll email epub files as attachments and download them. I have Aldiko on the tablet and use it for epub files. I open the email, see the attachment but cannot view or download it. My email is a gmail account. I get the message saying "Sorry no application found to view this attachment". With pdf attachments etc it lets you view and at that time gives you the option to download. If I can't get this to work I'll have to throw the tablet away!!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome aboard
Your Aldiko is probably not associated with the extension of the epubs you are sending yourself. Save the file then use a file manager to tap the file and see if it will "open with" Aldiko. If not, it could be the file type or a DRM problem.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
In the Gmail app, if a file has no associated app registered, you can save it by selecting the menu button shown on the rightmost edge of the attachment. The menu button consists of three vertically stacked square dots. You should then be able to open the file from your app.

Once you recognize the menu button, you'll find it in numerous apps and screens, and it can be useful at times.

For transferring files, there are much better options than email though. Google Drive is probably the easiest solution. Some folks like Dropbox. I personally like to use ES File Explorer to copy files from my PC and other network file share devices over the LAN (via WiFi). These are all apps that you can download and use for free

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Yeah you don't want to view the files but simply save then to your device. A free service like box may be your best bet. You don't really need the box app on your tablet, as was mentioned at least in name was ES File Explorer which easily accesses Box and other cloud services. Just upload the epubs to your free Box account and use ES to save then to a folder on your device. Now is my pitch for FB Reader which has the best multi file type support of any reader I have yet tried and it is free. Create a folder called Books in the root directory of your device and just drop everything there, should solve all your problems.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi, rogered.

Welcome to the Forum.

FB Reader would be the perfect reader, if it handled the internal formatting correctly. More often than not, the formatting is not reproduced correctly. Similar applications that you may want to try are Kindle, Google Books, Cool Reader, Moon+ Reader and Alreader. As far as file managers go, another popular option is ASTRO File Manager.

Cheers.
Ed

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I have no trouble with format with FB Reader plus it can handle .mobi files which is important to me. Most stable reader I've used and I've used them all.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Hi, rogered.

Welcome to the Forum.

FB Reader would be the perfect reader, if it handled the internal formatting correctly. More often than not, the formatting is not reproduced correctly. Similar applications that you may want to try are Kindle, Google Books, Cool Reader, Moon+ Reader and Alreader. As far as file managers go, another popular option is ASTRO File Manager.

Cheers.
Ed

Really I think we need to narrow the options rather than just tell them to try everything available. The reason they come here is in the hopes that others have experience to share and can help them avoid the trial and error we have already gone through.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I hear what you're saying, Tom, and I totally get it. And the next time that I come across a .mobi file, I'll use FB Reader. Sharing information as to which solution is best in a given situation saves members a lot of time. However, in terms of the bigger picture, understanding the full Android experience - its open dynamics, means the process of trial and error is an ongoing thing and events need to be monitored daily : what's best today may only be good tomorrow. So, Iet's keep our options open. All of them. And, stay alert to anything that may be better.