Downloading Using External Memory Card, Using Memory Card Reader

Joncent

Jan 7, 2013
good day to all, especially to the admin.
i'm a new inhere and a new user of Coby MID7042 which i just bought yesterday. this is also my first time to use a tablet. my first concern as of now to know if it is alright to download, like MP3 songs to my memory card using a card reader, and i will just insert my memory card later to my tablet. is this safe or will it cause trouble to my tablet? thank you in advance for any enlightenment.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

So long as you got them from a trusted source it won't be a problem. Keeping your media on an external card is a good idea.

Joncent

Jan 7, 2013
thank you for the positive reply to my query sir leeshor. i done it, and i even included some games i downloaded by surfing from different sites on the internet... however, after i downloaded my files (unto the external card using a memory car reader connected to my tablet) i discovered (though not immediately, but only after few days when i tried to use the front camera which gave me the information that my memory is full and so led me to check my files in my tablet) that many of my downloaded files were transferred into the internal memory of my tablet. is it really like this or is there something messy going on with tablet? i mean, is this a usual operation of my tablet coby mid7042-4G? in relation to this query, is there any way out by which i can use my external memory card as a storing-card for all my downloaded files and will not be just automatically transferred into the internal memory?

thank you in advance for any positive reply regarding this concern. God bless!

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The internal memory is the standard location for downloaded file. A decent file manager, like ES File Explorer will allow you to cut-paste them to the external memory.

Joncent

Jan 7, 2013
The internal memory is the standard location for downloaded file. A decent file manager, like ES File Explorer will allow you to cut-paste them to the external memory.

... thank you for that information regarding the internal memory as the standard memory-location for downloaded file sir leeshor. now i understand why my external memory only have less than one percent content after many downloads i made. i think i have downloaded too an ES File Explorer, i just have to check it out when i'm home from work. so thank you too for this information of cut-paste procedure of transferring data to an external memory card. i just have to do some try and error at home since i don't really have any idea how to go with this cut-paste thing. its easy in the computer, i just hope it is same procedure with the EX Explorer. i will just ask any help from you sir when i find any difficulty or trouble in transferring my data to the external memory.

... just a question sir, would the ES Explorer show also the external memory and so create a folder in it for the transfer?

thank you again and God bless!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Yes ES File Explorer will display the external card and allow you to create folders.

Joncent

Jan 7, 2013
thanks for the reply sir leeshor. i ready do have the ES explorer. but i just realy dont know how to "navigate" around it and find the external memory. i just opened it now, what i see on the upper left is the label "Local and a blue icon that looks like a mem card or a monitor, not sure, then /sdcard/" - is this already the external memory? if so, how can i access or go to the internal memory so i can "cut-paste" the file i want to transfer from there unto the external memory card?

i discovered something: when i open the favorite tab or icon, inhere i find this three folders, if they called folders, namely: asec, obb, secure, extsd, sdcard, usbhost1. i would like to suppose that the "extsd" is the external memory. when i open it this is what i find: folders of documents, LOST.DIR, and KingsoftOffice. am i riight on this observations?

.. now if indeed i find the extsd, my problem now is on how to create a folder in it. i can not find any way in here.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Tablets display the external memory using different names. On my tablet if I tap the first icon on the left at the top of the screeen it will go up one directory and displays my external card as "removable" If I tap on that it takes me to a screen that displays "MicroSD". From there if I tap the menu at the bottom I get another menu with a "new" selection. That's where you can create files, folders etc.

I hope that steers you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Joncent

Jan 7, 2013
i was able to move certain files to the extsd for experimentation, at last, after sometime of exploration. but i notice the available space of my extsd really decreases which indicates the success of my transfer of data, but the memory space on the external mem never changed a bit as if the file i transferred or moved files has no effect in reducing the used space in the internal memory... i guess i did something wrong here. :(

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I;m not certain I have a good answer for the space issue. Try restarting your tablet to see if the usage changes.

Joncent

Jan 7, 2013
Tablets display the external memory using different names. On my tablet if I tap the first icon on the left at the top of the screeen it will go up one directory and displays my external card as "removable" If I tap on that it takes me to a screen that displays "MicroSD". Form there if I tap the menu at the bottom I get another menu with a "new" selection. That's where you can create files, folders etc.

I hope that steers you in the right direction.

.. indeed, my tablet have a different display. i can access my extsd when i tap the favorites tab, next to the tab select, search, up, AppMgr and Icons. when i tap the favorites tab, this appears : at the upper portion the icons Home, Tablet, Download, Pictures. then just down below these icons an image of an sd card with this marking /mnt/extsd/ when i tap it, it leads me to folders named as documents, KingsoftOffice and LOST.DIR. with what i added named Downloads

Joncent

Jan 7, 2013
hello sir leeshor, i hope you don't mind my being inquisitive. why there are two internal storage in my tablet. how does each work as storage?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
/mnt/extsd is where your music and videos are stored. This is the MicroSD card and is removable.
/mnt/sdcard is where the system settings and system data are stored. This was a change made for Android 3.0 or 4.0, supposedly to make file management easier. Prior versions used the MicroSD for everything.

Joncent

Jan 7, 2013
/mnt/extsd is where your music and videos are stored. This is the MicroSD card and is removable.
/mnt/sdcard is where the system settings and system data are stored. This was a change made for Android 3.0 or 4.0, supposedly to make file management easier. Prior versions used the MicroSD for everything.

hello sir traveller, thank you very much for the information about extsd as storage only for music and video. would it mean therefore sir that i can not store games and other applications into the extsd? yesterday, i moved files/data that include games into the extsd using the ES Explorer (that is what i thought what i did, and i think i was successful in doing so). now, what had happened to the files/data i moved (like games and other apps)? would it mean that they are reverted back into the internal memory? it would seem that that the extsd that i bought (8G) is a bit useless because the tablet was bought not so much for music and video, but for games because my youngest daughter is the one using it.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
We've been getting this question a fair amount lately. By design, nothing can be installed to the MicroSD card. All apps are installed to internal storage. Some apps can have portions of themselves moved to /mnt/sdcard, but again, that's internal space. Fortunately for you, your tablet can support "flipping" the mount points of /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/extsd so /mnt/sdcard points to the MicroSD card. This involves editing a system file, and thus the tablet has to be rooted.