Dropad A8X

msilveira

Jun 7, 2011
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, I never had a tablet before, I'm not the early adopter type ( My income does not allow me to ), but I'll have to become one since I'm about to forcedly become an Android developer.

I was searching for locally available affordable tablets, and I was almost decided to buy the COBY MID7015, BUT, as soon as I found out that the MID8024 model had the A8 Cortex CPU, I gave up on the 7015 ... BUT, again, I kept my research and found out about the Dropad A8 and Dropad A8X... so I searched local ebay ( Mercado Livre, Brazil ) for Dropad models, and amazingly, I found the Dropad A8X for just a bit more that the MID8024.... after reading the full specs of the model, I bought it. I hope to have it delivered in 3 days ( tops 11/06/2011 I hope ).

This model is a total bargain!
Specs: ( From (manufacturer?) ) ( Sorry, couldn't manage to create a good table )

ITEM / Specification
CPU Samsung S5PC 110
CPU Speed Cotex A8 1GHZ
Operation system Google Android 2.2
Internal Memory 512MB
Hard drive
512M ROM+8G TF Card( up to 32G)
Flash
Flash 10.3
Display size 7 inch touch TFT, Multi-Touch display
Screen Type Capacitive Type
Display resolution
800x480
Video format
1920x1080
G-Sensor Yes
Camera 3M pixel 0.3
WiFi Wi-fi(802.11b/g/n)
3G (WCDMA/TDSCDMA/EVDO) External 3G module drive
Bluetooth Yes,built in
GPS Yes,built in
Microphone Yes, built in
Speakers Yes, built in
office word,Excel,Power point and GMAIL
Video format
RM,RMVB,DAT,VO,MP4 TS,WMV MOV,MKV AVI, FLV,MPEG-2,HD
Audio format MP3,WMA,APE,FLAC,AAC,AC3,WAV
Picture format
JPEG,BMP,GIF,PNG
Document format
CHM,EPUB,UMD,WDL,CEB,PDG,DOC,XLS,PPT,TXT,PDF,HTML
Games 3D Games
External buttons *on/off, Sleep/week, Volume up/down*Menu*Home*Return
Battery Built-in Lithiumpolymer Battery, 4100mAH, 3.7V
Power DC 5V/2A

Computer Interfaces(I/O ports and cards)
1*TF Card slot
2*Mini USB2.0(Host+Otg)

1* HDMI slot
1*3.5mm headphone
HDMI Yes,1080P
Dimention 19.2x12.8x1.4cm
Color
black
Weight 0.45KG

In the Box
1* headphone
1* AC Power(100V-240V input, 9V output)
2* USB cables
1* Manual

Highlights: ( Many ! )

Fast and new power saving version CPU
Capacitve Screen ( 5 points AFAIK )
GPS
Bluetooth
USB charging
Metal/Aluminum casing ( AFAIK )
Low Weight ( beats any iPad )
8g internal SD Card

I'm so excited!

But I wonder: ( curiosities of a newcomer soon to become a developer )

1.) Does this CPU really integrates 512 Mb RAM and 512Mb ROM?
2.) What's the catch between the 512MB ROM and the internal TF Card ( 8gb) ?

I can barely wait for this new device!

Some links
Possible manufacturer
Youku Video
Online shop 1
Another link
Article (original from china)

I'll post unboxing videos ( I have to shoot the unboxing, for safety.... ) and other show videos ( Won't be HD quality, I don't have an HD camera )

I bet this tablet will be loved in the android community, unless it shows any ugly malfunction.

See you soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Diskus

Mar 8, 2011
i am thinking buy this dropad a8x to be next android 2.2 tablet. A lots of discussion is on slatedroid. From that, it seems it is really good, a few complaint. But i didn't find an detailed reviews on it so far on internet. Some articles about it are only about its appearance. If any one find one, please tell me. Many thanks.

hardan

Aug 5, 2011
I think there aren't two different A8x, the problem is the wrong description in the Pandawill page.

The A8x supports Flash 10.3 (PW says doesn't), WIFI is b/g/n (PW only b/g), the battery is 4100 (PW says 3800), the charger is 5v/2a (PW shows 9v) and screen is 5 point multitouch (PW says no multitouch). I think they have an incorrect description but don't listen the customers, i left a comment about the wrong description and they erased it.

I'm a happy A8x owner and excepting some sotfware issues i think is one of the most complete 7% tablets in the market in performance/capacities/build/price ratio. Fortunately the manufacturer (Saayi) give a good software support and there is a 2.3 beta firmware which makes this tablet more responsive, very fast and with the Gingerbread benefits. I hope they release soon the definitive firm.

Greetings.

Last edited:

Diskus

Mar 8, 2011
I don't think Pandawill is bad, ( i purchased one tablet from them, the packet were lost in transit, but they sent me another tablet without problems) but the specifications are sometimes a little vague. It is bad if that happens to tablets and phones. The good thing is they takes some videos for the tablets or cell phones or you can find some review by members at PW forum. It helps a lot. I found the A8x video and review ( PW staff wrote, not so good for customers, i prefer to read reviews from other customers)
Video and Review

necrocide

Dec 21, 2011
About the Dropad A8x in PW, i see the processor S5PV110 NOT S5PC110 have some diffrences? and gpu still powervr sgx 540 ?

thx..