Dropped by a 5 year old.

squick

May 16, 2011
Hi everyone,
My son just dropped my tab, total accident - jumped up to do something for his mom and it hit the floor. Gutted!!

Every thing seems to be working - thankfully - but i've now got a split at the seam on the top right side (opposite corner to the camera) which won't clip back together.

2 questions :
1) any susgestions on things I should check still work? - done the basics screen, wireless, camera, micro SD, charging.
2) any thoughts on how to get it fixed?

Also i'm no thinking I may put up with the naff Acer case that you can get - it,s got to be better than more damage - :-(

Thanks
Simon

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

captfx

May 11, 2011
Check out this video of a A500 tear down and see if it helps you get yours back together

If you can't get it back together tight, as long as you can squeeze it into the case, I'd keep it in there. Let us know how it goes. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

5_star

Jun 11, 2011
Get the case, with the drop it will be weakened and any further drops may be the death of it

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I suggest you get a squaretrade warranty against accident damage. Only an extremely heavy and bulky case could hope to offer any kind of guarantee against damage by dropping. The Acer-brand case is probably the worst of the bunch in terms of drop-protection.

fusepopper

Aug 6, 2011
I too have had an unfortunate incident with my A500 and it developed the same "crack", in the same location. Thanks to captfx's video I was able to disassemble mine and spotted the issue. The top and bottom rails of the case are made of fairly inflexible aluminum, it appears to me that when mine was dropped the front part of the top rail got bent causing the gap. Luckily I purchased the replacement warranty on mine since this is the first round of this technology to me. I'm probably gonna trade it out. Once I get it backed up good! I'm also gonna get a good case or skin for it. Good luck and be careful!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I'd be tempted get a good case and save my warranty for when the thing gets sat on or totally trashed.
As long as it works, you might not notice the bent rails once its in a case.

Once you use your warranty its toast, and you have to get another warranty.

kwhabq

Apr 27, 2011
Get the stock cover. Mine fell 5 feet to a hard floor and sounded pretty bad. Thanks to the cover, no damage was found.
Pretty good test of its toughness. I don't recommend trying to see how much higher it will fall without damage. LOL!

Ken

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Get the stock cover. Mine fell 5 feet to a hard floor and sounded pretty bad. Thanks to the cover, no damage was found.
Pretty good test of its toughness. I don't recommend trying to see how much higher it will fall without damage. LOL!

Ken

Stock cover = Piece of garbage.
Get the roocase. Currently cheaper than stock if you shop around.