Dropped Wifi...

Richter

Sep 20, 2011
In the last little while my wifi has been dropping for no reason. I play poker before I hit the sack every night, kind of my way to unwind when the wife's got a headache. :)

I'd be right in the middle of a game and it just drops. The wireless router is in the living room and my bedroom is back to back (apartment). The walls are super thin so there should be nothing to interfere. I've tried two routers and they both work just fine. My computer shows there has been no wireless loss at any point as it runs 24/7.

Not really sure what my next move is. Is it a firmware issue, hardware issue or something else. I've heard of people saying a new firmware update that comes out next will fix the issue. I've heard of some returning theirs under RMA and the new one works better.

Advice would be appreciated.

Richter

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Without more info on how your wifi is set up, its hard to tell.

What security type do you use?
What type of router? Netgear?

It could just be your neighbor firing up his wifi router, microwave, cell-phone, etc and pumping your router to another channel.
(Most routers change channels to avoid interference).

Richter

Sep 20, 2011
My bad.

It's a Cisco wireless router from Shaw. The other was a Linksys 2000. There's been no internet drop via the routers that I'm aware of. I have never lost internet with my two laptops. It seems to happen within the first 15-20 of being turned on. Any more info I can provide, just let me know.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Are you using DHCP?
Are you using WPA2 Security?
Are you using 802.11N or G?

What do you have to do to get it back running?

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
If it drops out for a few seconds and then works again you have the dropout issue after the 3.2 update.
I have the same thing and got around it by going into my internet connection and changing the setting from DHCP to static.
Change the setting, disconnect from your internet and then reconnect.
I also play online poker and if it happens on my turn it will call, check or fold for me.
It does not drop out set on static.
Try it and if it does not work then it may not be the update that caused it.

baxter61

Dec 5, 2011
I also have this problem, what's the easiest way to get it working again? It drops out when I'm not near the router, but my laptop holds.
It only happened after the 3.2 update.

Baxter

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

MetaMs

May 1, 2011
I have the same problem. Started with the 3.2 update. The tablet looses the wifi signal and i have to turn the router off then on again to get the signal back. Uverse even replaced my router (it was old). Same annoying problem. I'd like to hear from someone who has sent theirs back to Acer for repair. Did it fix the problem?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You can try setting static IP as frnkws did above.

You didn't mention what kind of router security you are using.

compwiz1202

Nov 16, 2011
The only thing that seems to work for me is setting my router to Wireless-N only. Only issue with that is that our printer doesn't support Wireless-N. So I only use N instead of Mixed for long periods of connectivity so it doesn't drop. Static nor changing the wireless channel didn't work, and I never tried changing the security type.