Easiest way to turn your Nook into an Android tablet

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
ic

The Nook Color completely changed the ereader. Do to its low price paired with Android at the core and a great development community it was able to entice many many users. Barnes and Noble saw the success of the Nook Color and decided to continue the line with the Nook Tablet. Once again the development community jumped on board and brought the best out of the Nook Tablet. Until recently to bring Android to the forefront of your Nook Tablet you had to root it and void the warranty but now there is an easy fix. The solution is a bootable sd card that you just put into your Nook Tablet and it boots right into Android.

The company that offers the sd cards is called N2A Cards. They currently sell 8,16, and 32 gb sd cards for both the Nook Color and the Nook Tablet, prices range from $34.99 to $74.99. After browsing their site I did find that their Nook Tablet card only works for the 16gb Nook Tablet and not the new 8gb Nook Tablet. Using the N2A card looks like a super easy way to unlock the full potential of either your Nook Color or your Nook Tablet. If you would like to look into this further head over to www.n2acards.com

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hmm this is cool. Didn't realize they were able to access the boot loader on the Nook Tablet.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Have they announced any plans to upgrade to 3.0 or 4.0 from the current 2.3?

On the website linked to in the OP, they state:
[h=5]When will Ice Cream Sandwich be available for my N2A card?[/h] Android 4.0,more commonly known as Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), is in the works. Once CM9 is complete, it won't be long before a card version will be made available. Here is an update on the progress of CM9: CM9 Progress Update | CyanogenMod

As soon as a fully developed, fully tested version is available, N2A will be among the first to offer it to Nook Tablet and Nook Color tablet users.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hmm this is cool. Didn't realize they were able to access the boot loader on the Nook Tablet.

Since it only works on the 16GB version, it looks like I'm going to hang onto mine.:cool: That definitely makes it worth the extra $25 it cost me.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Since it only works on the 16GB version, it looks like I'm going to hang onto mine.:cool: That definitely makes it worth the extra $25 it cost me.

Yes, didn't realize that a. the Nook Tablets had been cracked and b. that there is a difference with the 8GB in this regard. I wonder if part of B&N's strategy in releasing the cheaper tablet was to be even more locked down since the 16GB is apparently cracked. I have catch up reading about the Nook Tablet to do at some point :)

UtahWJR

Feb 7, 2011
Is there anyway to backup the card so you can restore to original if needed down the road?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I have catch up reading about the Nook Tablet to do at some point :)

I was hoping you would. That way you'll be ready when I get around to playing with my Nook Tablet and pestering you like I did when I modified my NOOKcolor.:cool:

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
Is there anyway to backup the card so you can restore to original if needed down the road?

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here. From what I understand (and experience from my own setup) is that the stock operating system is untouched and unrooted. This is just a bootable SD card which when inserted will be used as default operating system without messing with stock. Sort of like running a LiveCD Linux Distro. Doesn't overwrite or install anything...Just runs from the disk.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Can we assume then that the Android side can be backed up using Titanium Backup or Ultimate backup which I believe doesn't need root.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Can we assume then that the Android side can be backed up using Titanium Backup or Ultimate backup

Came back to edit this but it was locked. Ultimate backup is truly great but it seems it does need root.

1hen2ducks
Having another day witnessing existence in bewilderment.

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
The Nook COLOR not the Nook. I made an 8gig card and have a 16g card and got one from N2A as well and they all work. I did modify them to dual boot so I just leave the card in and it runs quick, I get all the programs I need and Angry Birds works fine. Cyanogen is fantastic and I have not had any problems. Want to use your NOOK COLOR just pop out the card and you are back to normal because you are running off the card.

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
There is no need to back up the Nook Color because it is not affected whatsoever. WinImg can back up the card image though.

UtahWJR

Feb 7, 2011
So with the N2A card installed where are Apps downloaded from either Market or Amazon installed? On the N2A card or the NC? What happens if you do something that messes up the N2A Android install on the N2A card? Can the card be reflashed back to original?