eLocity A10 Pre-Order Silently Shows up at J&R for $430, but with Android 2.2

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
QBZOc.jpg

Despite fumbling the initially announced pre-order date, StreamTV (eLocity)'s A10 tablet has finally shown up for pre-order at J&R, with a price tag of $430 for the 4GB model. This is a little lower than initial reports.

While J&R's specifications may not be accurate, the pre-order page shows the anticipated 1366x768 10" display, and a SIM card slot. Most of the other features seems to match the Viewsonic gTablet (which has a resolution of 1024x600 and no SIM card slot) for the most part. But for those who hate the screen quality and viewing angles on the gTablet, this seems to be a good alternative.

In terms of other listed specifications, there is a Tegra 2 dual core at 1GHz, 4GB ROM, 512MB RAM, front facing camera, HDMI output, accelerometer, bluetooth, wifi n, light sensor, front facing camera, capacitive touch and Android 2.2. Unlike the A7, the A10 is supposed to support full multi-touch. The screen uses IPS technology, ensuring better viewing angles.

Much of the buzz around the A10 during CES was the rumored Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating system this was supposed to ship with. Upgradability to Honeycomb combined with this pricing would set this tablet apart from all the wireless carrier backed Honeycomb devices such as the Motorola Xoom, the LG G-Slate, and the Samsung Galaxy 10.1. There should be enough press coverage about this tablet soon, so we should find out more details in no time.

Thanks to mpit52 for sending this in.

Additional sources
PCWorld CES hands-on

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Pretty smart in my opinion. 10 inch tablet under $500. I'm sure it will get Honeycomb later too.

Personally I want higher specs, but there are doubtlessly many people who will consider this tablet.

marcelol

Aug 6, 2010
Will it have a built-in GPS?

Probably not.

Also...as a Post CES2011 introduced tablet.....512Mb RAM...FAIL...

Any new tablet that has a glimmer of hope of running HoneyComb smoothly will have to have more ram than that on-board. Also, with only 4Gb of storage, and other 10" tablets
coming with 8GB and 16GB...you're going to pay more because ?

The answer is, you aren't. Manufacturers need to wisen up...this, the Xoom, the Tab...heck, even the GTab....they're overpriced.

Archos has the right idea $275-$349, but leave out a GPS, and only have 256Mb RAM.

You want a set of specs everyone will want....everyone will buy at...here you go:

1Gb of RAM
T20 or OMAP 4430 1Gb dual core CPU
8Gb of storage ( let's be honest, if you need more.....a Class 6 16Gb SD Card will cost you $30..get real )
10" wide FOV display
WiFi
GPS
Gyroscope
FFC ( back camera really as important on a tablet, be honest with yourselves )
Android 2.2 with an upgrade path to 3.0
------------
$299 ~ $349 MSRP <--- REALISTIC retail prices depending on build quality

Anything most expensive than this gets deferred to the "only if I absolutely have the money to blow, and I don't care what it costs" category.

Otherwise...these companies are deluding themselves. I'm not an Apple Fanboi ( I use a Nexus One as my daily phone, get real ), but we have to be honest that especially at the moment Apple can do what they do because they a UI that for the form factor, is a bit more polished and lower point of every usability-wise for the broad range of consumers that are out there.

I was an early tablet adopter ( I own and use an Augen Gen 1 ), and I worked on a tablet system back in the 90's ( you older folks may remember a company named, GO ), and that was the achilles heel of adoption. The cost of the hardware at this point inhibits adoption of the platform in that form factor. It's simple mathematics, and the marketing folks always don't seem to "get it". They think if we sell few at a very high cost there's still a possibility of recovering cost of development. It simply doesn't jibe.

We're looking at some lean times here before we get someone who has the B_LLs to put out THE equivalent of the Droid but in tablet form factor. A tablet that sparks everyone's desire and interest in getting behind.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just getting a little tired of seeing these tablets coming out at these ridiculous prices with lackluster featuresets.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Probably not.

Any new tablet that has a glimmer of hope of running HoneyComb smoothly will have to have more ram than that on-board. Also, with only 4Gb of storage, and other 10" tablets

The answer is, you aren't. Manufacturers need to wisen up...this, the Xoom, the Tab...heck, even the GTab....they're overpriced.

Archos has the right idea $275-$349, but leave out a GPS, and only have 256Mb RAM.

You want a set of specs everyone will want....everyone will buy at...here you go:

1Gb of RAM
8Gb of storage ( let's be honest, if you need more.....a Class 6 16Gb SD Card will cost you $30..get real )
10" wide FOV display
WiFi
GPS
Gyroscope
------------

. . .

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just getting a little tired of seeing these tablets coming out at these ridiculous prices with lackluster featuresets.

I think one other key feature you are leaving out is capacitive screen, which would probably increase the price ($100?), although that is not anything I care for, and would not pay extra for (couple Android phones and Archos 70 disillusioned me about my "compatibility" with capacitive vs resistive - much too twitchy and "blunt" vs stylus/fingernail precision, plus smudginess that absolutely disgusts me - don't wanna touch that mess ;) ).

Plus a 5-7-inch "downsize" option. I prefer my Archos 5 for portability and ease of handling vs 7-inch, and 10 is out of the question for me. I have tried holding the iPad, and it is just uncomfortable. Even the Pandigital Novel became too heavy after a while for extended book reading (carpal tunnel is a big factor for me, and probably a number of other aging 'boomers).

shakshak1

Jan 17, 2011
Probably not.

1Gb of RAM
10" wide FOV display
WiFi
GPS
Gyroscope
------------

Anything most expensive than this gets deferred to the "only if I absolutely have the money to blow, and I don't care what it costs" category.

Otherwise...these companies are deluding themselves. I'm not an Apple Fanboi ( I use a Nexus One as my daily phone, get real ), but we have to be honest that especially at the moment Apple can do what they do because they a UI that for the form factor, is a bit more polished and lower point of every usability-wise for the broad range of consumers that are out there.

I was an early tablet adopter ( I own and use an Augen Gen 1 ), and I worked on a tablet system back in the 90's ( you older folks may remember a company named, GO ), and that was the achilles heel of adoption. The cost of the hardware at this point inhibits adoption of the platform in that form factor. It's simple mathematics, and the marketing folks always don't seem to "get it". They think if we sell few at a very high cost there's still a possibility of recovering cost of development. It simply doesn't jibe.

We're looking at some lean times here before we get someone who has the B_LLs to put out THE equivalent of the Droid but in tablet form factor. A tablet that sparks everyone's desire and interest in getting behind.

marcelol
I appreciate your advice us with a decent tablet with your recommended specs and price range.
Thanks