eLocity A7

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
as of right now i would go for the cheaper one as the tablets that are out now ( no matter how much they are ) wont compare to future tablets that come out even with in the next 6 months

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Not sure why you said that. Amazon still says "You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com". Don't see "Currently unavailable" anywhere on the page!

see Amazon.com: eLocity A7 Touchscreen 7-Inch Android 2.2 Tablet (Black): Gateway
Yeah, I apologize for the false alarm. It was viewing that way for a few hours. Next time I'll take a screen shot. :)

In the meantime please take a look at my first post and see if you can spot the UPDATE. If not, then I must be seeing things, and will try to cut back on my coffee consumption!

-Matt

Vernon17

Sep 6, 2010
The unit looks good to me. I pre-ordered. I cannot wait to get my hands on it!
One thing I really like is that the price includes a wireless keyboard.;)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, I don't mind if you guys yell...scream...call me dirty names. But didn't you think...just for a second...that the eLocity looks a little too good to be true? I dunno, but I get a funny feeling when I see it.

OF COURSE I want it. It's sitting in my cart right now (admittedly, on preorder). But something tells me...no-name company...unbelievable specs...suspiciously decent price. I would love to wait and see what the first 100 users have to say about it.

-Matt

plvaulter06

Aug 30, 2010
OK, I don't mind if you guys yell...scream...call me dirty names. But didn't you think...just for a second...that the eLocity looks a little too good to be true? I dunno, but I get a funny feeling when I see it.

OF COURSE I want it. It's sitting in my cart right now (admittedly, on preorder). But something tells me...no-name company...unbelievable specs...suspiciously decent price. I would love to wait and see what the first 100 users have to say about it.

-Matt

Im pretty sure this this is a 800x480 res screen. That holds the whole tablet back from having "unbelievable" specs. This screen resolution is officially supported by android, and thus it would make sense that it would be one of the first tablets out on the market.
Nvidia has been holding back the bandwagon for a while with their delays.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Im pretty sure this this is a 800x480 res screen.
Good point. Amazon says:

With a high-resolution 800 x 480 capacitive touch screen and the fastest mobile processor ever – NVIDIA’s Tegra 2, Dual Core 1Ghz CPU – eLocity’s A7 Internet Tablet was made for multimedia. Watch HD films in the palm of your hand or output them in 1080p for a big screen experience with a quick and easy HDMI connection.
Which has me thinking: why put 1080p (or is that only through the HDMI out) on a hand-held screen? Really, what I'm asking is what is the limit of visual acuity such that smaller pixels don't matter? I've seen great tables that pit HD pixel densities versus viewing distances (for flat-screen TVs). I should probably get out the old calculator and extrapolate the acuity relations for small screens and close viewing distances!

-Matt

mhensen

Aug 23, 2010
Looking at the pictures of the eLocity A7 I am wondering if the SD card would go in all the way or that it would stick out.. I presume this is just to show that it has an SD card slot and that it will not stick out!! :)

Vernon17

Sep 6, 2010
i like the resolution of the elocity a7. I like the fact that it will work well with the android apps we all enjoy.
On the other hand some of the units with a higher resolution are going to have issues.

Samsung comments on Galaxy Tab App Display issues, admits to some apps not scaling | Android Community

The question is how big of an HDTV can you use with an elocity a7 before it looks grainy?
Maybe some of the community here that have similar units as the elocity a7 (like the HeroTab rk7 that has the same resolution and HDMI) can tell us if the image looks grainy when the tv is bigger than a 23 inch?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Happened again, Saturday morning:

$eLociityNotAvailable10.2.2010.jpg

Amazon.com: eLocity A7 Touchscreen 7-Inch Android 2.2 Tablet (Black): Computer & Accessories

Maybe it's some kind of inventory error?

-Matt

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Interesting. I went to Amazon, did the word search on "elocity" and at the top was an box advert for pre-ordering and then 15 items listed available for elocity. But, none of them were Elocity A7. So I clicked on the little come-on link. It took me to the same result as yours.
I am not in the know, but have heard through my sources. There are some rush to market quality issues on some of the newer (but not yet delivered) units. This may be an example.

I do know the combination of the Autumn Holidays in China always throws some electronic vendors into fits. The problem is obvious. This is in part due to the shipping pipeline is not as big as it was before the global slowdown/recession. There are hundreds if not 1000s of container ships which have been moored empty just because the slowdown in the shipping import/export biz. If they do not get the items in big blocks of shipment. They cannot provide the sales and productions slows due to lagging sales....

But it could just be the Chinese Holidays.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Interesting. I went to Amazon, did the word search on "elocity" and at the top was an box advert for pre-ordering and then 15 items listed available for elocity. But, none of them were Elocity A7. So I clicked on the little come-on link. It took me to the same result as yours.
I am not in the know, but have heard through my sources. There are some rush to market quality issues on some of the newer (but not yet delivered) units. This may be an example.

I do know the combination of the Autumn Holidays in China always throws some electronic vendors into fits. The problem is obvious. This is in part due to the shipping pipeline is not as big as it was before the global slowdown/recession. There are hundreds if not 1000s of container ships which have been moored empty just because the slowdown in the shipping import/export biz. If they do not get the items in big blocks of shipment. They cannot provide the sales and productions slows due to lagging sales....

But it could just be the Chinese Holidays.
I have a feeling there's no malice here, just automated inventory system silliness. Something very similar happenend in 2007 when I bought my Archos 605...drove the prospective buyers nuts!

My first impression of the eLocity was that it was vaporware, but something tells me it's legit. I'd just like to see a more solid shipping timeline. And some trusty expert reviews!

-Matt