Email Contact GROUPS (Distribution Lists) missing in Honeycomb???????

jwortner

Dec 25, 2011
I must be missing something? I have been searching for days now with little success. I just cant believe there is not more discussion on this. Am I really the only person missing this?

I assume this is a honeycomb thing because it works fine on my HTC phones?

When sending email on both my toshiba thrive and asus prime, I can find no way to select a GROUP (distribution list) to address the email TO:.

Is the capability to send email to a GROUP really missing in honeycomb?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I assume this is a honeycomb thing because it works fine on my HTC phones?

Are you using the same email apps on your tablets and on your phone? I don't think it's a "honeycomb thing", I think it's an email program thing. Check out some of the other email programs available on the markets and see if one of them supports distribution lists.

jwortner

Dec 25, 2011
Are you using the same email apps on your tablets and on your phone? I don't think it's a "honeycomb thing", I think it's an email program thing. Check out some of the other email programs available on the markets and see if one of them supports distribution lists.

Spider,

Thanks for responding. This is so frustrating.

Yes, they appear be the same email apps to me. Just basic gmail and also the pop email app. Tablets from two toally different vendors have the same problem. I have 4 HTC phones now that all are ok (you can chooses a single contact or a GROUP contact). That is why I assume it is a Honeycomb thing because Froto on the phones are fine yet there is no option to choose a GROUP in the tablets.

I have seen two other posts in forums complaining about the same thing, but no real followup discussion on the cause or a good resolution resolution.

One of the posts did suggest a workaround that I tried today and does work, but it is a real hack in my opinion. I will report it here in case someone else wanders this path and needs a solution.

Post from another forum on how to work around the Honeycomb lack of GROUP contact function:

"How to send emails to groups I experimented and found a way to create email groups and send to them on the android gmail program. Create a new "regular" contact and label it "XXXXXt Group" etc. On an email line add the first email, ending with the right arrow (>). Then put the comma and a space and start the second email with a left arrow (<) and finish it with a right arrow (>). Do this until the last email and leave the last right arrow off. Then when you create an email from this "group" the email program supplies the first and last arrow and it works!

The line looks like this [email protected]>, <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>, <[email protected]

I found it easier to create the groups on my laptop in the gmail program, rather than on my tablet."

rickthescot

Jul 3, 2012
That workaround sucks. There must be a better way. Since i email groups as a part of my business I need to find a way to do this on my new transformer. Will keep working on it but please post if you find a solution or app.

Zahle96

Nov 6, 2012
I have found that the native browser on the ASUS TF700 does not display groups, nor does Chrome. Firefox does have the full gmail functionality but does not allow cutting and pasting from anywhere Keep the orignal gmail seetings and do not allow it to be upgraded in firefox.