Email inbox empty after ICS update - help!

bowering

May 7, 2012
Hi, I've just updated to ICS on the A500 and the emails I had in the Inbox (stock email app) have gone. The ones in the trash are still there - but the ones in the Inbox are gone (not moved to trash). Sent items are all there too. Any help in finding them appreciated.

Gary

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Gary, welcome. You might want to make sure your settings are syncing your inbox as well as your other folders. Is this for email other than Gmail? The two email apps are similar but Gmail is segregated into it's own mail app by default.

bowering

May 7, 2012
Hi J515OP. Nice to be here :) It's the stock (non-Gmail) app used for my ISP-based email account. The setting look right. Before the ICS update older emails back to 12 months ago were in the Inbox, but the update wiped them all and I now only have what's been downloaded since. The Sent and Trash emails are all OK though... only the Inbox has been affected.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I haven't sync'ed my ISP email on my tablet. Chech to see if you can check your isp based email with a std computer. Maybe they are still there.
and you just can't see them via your tablet.

bowering

May 7, 2012
I haven't sync'ed my ISP email on my tablet. Chech to see if you can check your isp based email with a std computer. Maybe they are still there.
and you just can't see them via your tablet.

Hi Douvie. The emails are long gone from the server. I have most in Outlook so can always re-send and get back on the tablet, but it's annoying that ICS has messed things about.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Sorry I asked a stupid question. This is one of the reasons I don't sync my isp based email on my tablet.

In addition, though this probably wouldn't help you, there were several threads on this forum suggesting that one should backup valuable data. In your situation I would have unsync'd the tablet with the isp email service just until the update was done then carefully reset-up and finally, sync'd.

But If I remember correctly, your isp should have a "snap shot" of your isp mailbox - you may be able to get a copy from them...it may cost you some. Just check with them.

bowering

May 7, 2012
Thanks Douvie. I'll take your advice for the next update :) In the meantime I'll just flick back from Outlook on the PC what I need on the tab. I was hoping that I'd missed something simple and could recover the Inbox. Gary

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Ouch yeah have a feelign they are gone since it is a default OS installed email client. THose should always be backed up then restored, really suprise the trash bin ones are still there, they must have been saved on the SD. see if you can set mail to save via the SD at all times.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ah, so these are emails that you had "downloaded" to the tablet at some point and removed from the server. Then when you got the update the "downloaded" or saved copies in the inbox were no longer there. That sounds like that might be a legitimate data loss in that case. At least you have them on another device.

In the future you can also avoid this by leaving copies of the emails on the servers. Most email services offer tons of space so that you never rally need to remove an email from the server ever. Of course you may have tons of email or privacy concerns or another reason but generally speaking leaving emails "in the cloud" is a good way to preserve them regardless of device or what may happen to that device. Then you are only a sync away from getting your emails back wherever you need them.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Hi, I've just updated to ICS on the A500 and the emails I had in the Inbox (stock email app) have gone. The ones in the trash are still there - but the ones in the Inbox are gone (not moved to trash). Sent items are all there too. Any help in finding them appreciated.

Gary

Same problem I lost all of my old messages.

Also now when I check my email on the tab it brings in new but as soon as I download them on my PC they poof off my tablet.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Same problem I lost all of my old messages.

Also now when I check my email on the tab it brings in new but as soon as I download them on my PC they poof off my tablet.

This is probably because of the settings you have on your PC. Most likely you have the PC set to download and remove mail from the server. Once it is removed from the server the tablet will not see it anymore. Try changing your PC mail settings to leave a copy on the server.

JP

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
This is probably because of the settings you have on your PC. Most likely you have the PC set to download and remove mail from the server. Once it is removed from the server the tablet will not see it anymore. Try changing your PC mail settings to leave a copy on the server.

JP

Yes I do have my PC set as you have described but this did not happen prior to ICS, the messages stayed.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm not sure about how Google is handling the mail apps and this could be an ICS related change. It makes sense to have email sync remotely with the mail servers but not download each email locally. This saves storage space on the tablet and potentially data transmission for devices on the cellular networks. I do know they reworked the look of the apps for ICS maybe that extends to the settings too.

In any case there are plenty of third party mail apps available in the market (with many better features too) if you need to have specific features then I suggest looking into those. If you *must use the default mail app* for some reason you will have to explore its settings to see if you can change it or change your pc settings.