Ematic E-GLIDE Android Mobile Internet

kyres

Feb 28, 2011
Paul no need to Sync Gmail with your blackberry, Gmail account will remain in the tablet and will sync anything you use on Gmail on the web, however, if you do not use Gmail for nothing, then that account will be used only for access to Market, so no need to do anything with it, just use it to login into Google Market on your tablet and to download applications. Remember, Google is web based and you do not need to sync anything on your computer if you do not want to.

Now I just hope that eMatic releases an Android 2.3 Rom. Well, it is just a hope.

chezjim

Mar 7, 2011
I thought I'd post my further adventures with this device, untechnical as they may be.

I've downloaded several other browsers, mainly because AOL's mail doesn't show up in the default and the email application is very primitive. Foxfire wouldn't complete the install at all. Opera downloaded and installed but would never come up. Skyfire is pretty good; Dolphin a bit better (it has tabs). None will open local HTML files, which is a nuisance. UPDATE: It turns out that some of the file explorer options will bring up a list of the available browsers when you click on an HTML file; so you can open these WITH the browsers, you just can't open them FROM the browsers.

Dropdown menus that work on the desktop only sometimes work on the device. Since my own site uses these, I may have to rethink the design a bit.

I seem to have trouble with a few things that should work. I downloaded two different tools for putting the device in Airplane mode. Both show that it is, but when I check the usage bar, Cell still predominates. Maybe because of prior usage?

It's certainly annoying that Android itself tells you to use Airplane mode but doesn't tell you how to enable it.

I downloaded Swype, a keyboard which is supposed to speed up input by letting you swipe from letter to letter. I get the little line that traces the swipe, but no text on the screen. On the other hand, it's a slightly bigger keyboard so I use it nonetheless. It also has a microphone icon on it (not on the images on their site) and I've read it enables speech-to-text. But so far clicking the icon seems to do nothing.

Certainly, if it were possible to connect an external keyboard, I would. When I move to the next level, that capability is one thing I'll watch for.

Locus, which is supposed to save on-line maps to the device, is poorly documented. It does indeed claim to be downloading a certain number of tiles for a given map, but then they are blank when I check the maps.

I bought a 16gb card (even though 4 was plenty for me) and it too wouldn't stay in. But since I pushed it hard and then put some black tape over it, it seems to have stayed in (I'm not planning to take it out for any reason, so this isn't a major inconvenience).

Web access is screwy sometimes. Yesterday I had full Wifi access ("Excellent", said Android) but couldn't get AOL mail to fully load. Generally, the access is pretty good.

Video quality is pretty good, seems faintly distorted when you pan too fast.

The screen is great in mild light, but even in shadow when the day overall is bright, it's a bit hard to read.

This is very much a tool for me, like a point and shoot camera. I just want to input text, read PDF's, check mail and sometimes browse the Web. So I'm not planning to root it at this point. On the other hand, speech-to-text would be cool and if I understand properly that's built in to a later Android release, so I might be tempted to upgrade later.

It seems to me I saw a music editing tool somewhere too for Android. Might dig that up, so I can edit some files on the go. It also occurred to me I can use it for GPS in the car, not that I tend to use that much, but searchable maps are nice to have on the go, for sure.

There's my own experience. Very basic, but you never know what info might be useful to someone else.

Last edited:

Sunigirl

Feb 19, 2011
The information and links in this post pertain specifically to the following tablet:

Ematic eGlide
Model Number: MID
Android Version: 2.1
Firmware: V1.02_14.13-MC_EN-2011.01.13
Kernel Version: 2.6.25_(V140_HY2_RHJ)
Build Number: V0.18.ECLAIR.R.zmg.20101112.142908

Please be certain that your tablet’s specs match those above before applying the information and/or the links from this post to your tablet!

Note: Some of the following links have been previously posted; as a courtesy, I am posting everything in this single post.

#1 Original factory-installed eGlide ROM
Direct link to: eGlide.img
http://www.mediafire.com/?fa2527xk9nn70ne
*This is a copy of the update.img shipped with the tablet. It is not an update, but a copy of the original ROM installed on the tablet when shipped.

#2 eGlide ROM (with permanent root)
Direct link to image: eglide_root_031411_sunigirl.img
http://www.mediafire.com/?e9njc094em7pwb6
*This ROM is identical to #1, except I permanently rooted it and deleted games and social networking apps.

#3 Page 1 of 2 update instructions from Ematic
http://www.mediafire.com/?5t8cp3erds0p49w

#4 Page 2 of 2 update instruction from Ematic
http://www.mediafire.com/?1acj10o6e44k111

#5 Android apps that I find useful enough to include in my personal system image:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3dlnf54vkcn4lxx
These free apps are available from the Android Market:
Android System Information, Astro, Miren Browser, WatchDog
*Autokiller
* works with root only

Want to take a look at everything? Here is a link to the folder containing all files above.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ug65rcjcs286d

Last edited:

j16904

Mar 10, 2011
dear sunigirl this is my first post her thought it would be use ful i have sucessfully flashed this rom to my eglide pretty positive exact same as yours which was posted by droidhound on slatedroid somewhere or another (rom)apad710_froyo_v2.img anways i have found a few problems the number one problem there is is the g sensor is what im geussing its called is backwards so if you hold it horizontal it shows upwards hold it upwards it shows landscape i heard market dont work but they id post a fixfo that havent got around to testing that i kno nothing bout editing rom imgs or anything would love to learn but cant find a good tutorial but if anyone could get this working good for the eglide i would apreciate it so much it actually prety nice accept for a few flaws that need to be fixed but thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon and please excuse all my bad grammer

The information and links in this post pertain specifically to the following tablet:

Ematic eGlide
Model Number: MID
Android Version: 2.1
Firmware: V1.02_14.13-MC_EN-2011.01.13
Kernel Version: 2.6.25_(V140_HY2_RHJ)
Build Number: V0.18.ECLAIR.R.zmg.20101112.142908

Please be certain that your tablet’s specs match those above before applying the information and/or the links from this post to your tablet!

Note: Some of the following links have been previously posted; as a courtesy, I am posting everything in this single post.

#1 Original factory-installed eGlide ROM
Direct link to: eGlide.img
http://www.mediafire.com/?fa2527xk9nn70ne
*This is a copy of the update.img shipped with the tablet. It is not an update, but a copy of the original ROM installed on the tablet when shipped.

#2 eGlide ROM (with permanent root)
Direct link to image: eglide_root_031411_sunigirl.img
http://www.mediafire.com/?e9njc094em7pwb6
*This ROM is identical to #1, except I permanently rooted it and deleted games and social networking apps.

#3 Page 1 of 2 update instructions from Ematic
http://www.mediafire.com/?5t8cp3erds0p49w

#4 Page 2 of 2 update instruction from Ematic
http://www.mediafire.com/?1acj10o6e44k111

#5 Android apps that I find useful enough to include in my personal system image:
http://www.mediafire.com/?y9va8wcich1ahdf
These free apps are available from the Android Market:
Android System Information, Astro, Miren Browser, WatchDog
*Root Explorer, *Autokiller
* works with root only

Want to take a look at everything? Here is a link to the folder containing all files above.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ug65rcjcs286d

j16904

Mar 10, 2011
dear sunigirl this is my first post her thought it would be use ful i have sucessfully flashed this rom to my eglide pretty positive exact same as yours which was posted by droidhound on slatedroid somewhere or another (rom)apad710_froyo_v2.img anways i have found a few problems the number one problem there is is the g sensor is what im geussing its called is backwards so if you hold it horizontal it shows upwards hold it upwards it shows landscape i heard market dont work but they id post a fixfo that havent got around to testing that i kno nothing bout editing rom imgs or anything would love to learn but cant find a good tutorial but if anyone could get this working good for the eglide i would apreciate it so much it actually prety nice accept for a few flaws that need to be fixed but thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon and please excuse all my bad grammer

so from i have found with this rom
good browser
you tube finally works
bad gsensor driver
error message"sorry the processcom.google.process.gapps has stop unexpectly please try again
the market partly workslots of bugs still waiting to here from yahll

Sunigirl

Feb 19, 2011
Hi j16904,

I know of the ROM you flashed to your tablet. I can confirm that Droidhound's apad710 is nearly identical to the eGlide; however the v.2 rom you flashed is not the most recent version of this rom. You can download version 3, posted by Droidhound this past week (3/12/11), here:

apad710_froyo_v3.img

Please compare your tablet with the specs for this rom:

TR718D
Kernel 2.6.25 root@u2hpy#449
Build: Froyo Beta 1.0 RK2818

I have flashed v.3 to my eGlide and you'll be happy to know that the Market works and the Sensors are fixed too! However, it has been noted that the tf card shows as 0 capacity and 0 free in settings/SD card, it's not possible to move apps to the tf card or mount the usb card.

Personally, I haven't had much time to test anything and am anxious to hear if wifi tethering works?! Would you be willing to check it out and report back? Or, if anyone else is interested and has time to check it out, please let me know what you find out!

j16904

Mar 10, 2011
i will definately check it out for you im downloading ver 3 now i am kinda new with android im working on learning how to compile my own rom image bu i will test the wifi tethering and report back to you

Hi j16904,

I know of the ROM you flashed to your tablet. I can confirm that Droidhound's apad710 is nearly identical to the eGlide; however the v.2 rom you flashed is not the most recent version of this rom. You can download version 3, posted by Droidhound this past week (3/12/11), here:

apad710_froyo_v3.img

Please compare your tablet with the specs for this rom:

TR718D
Kernel 2.6.25 root@u2hpy#449
Build: Froyo Beta 1.0 RK2818

I have flashed v.3 to my eGlide and you'll be happy to know that the Market works and the Sensors are fixed too! However, it has been noted that the tf card shows as 0 capacity and 0 free in settings/SD card, it's not possible to move apps to the tf card or mount the usb card.

Personally, I haven't had much time to test anything and am anxious to hear if wifi tethering works?! Would you be willing to check it out and report back? Or, if anyone else is interested and has time to check it out, please let me know what you find out!

chezjim

Mar 7, 2011
Has anyone tried connecting a USB keyboard to this device? Somewhere I saw that the company itself said this couldn't be done, but several articles suggest that Android itself supports this.
I have to say, if it really is undoable, then I might have done better getting the Coby 7015, which does allow this. The biggest advantage the eGlide seems to have is access to the Android market, which hasn't proved a big deal for me. Oh, and if I understand the Coby manual properly, it doesn't have a trackball, which is also nice on the eGlide.

kyres

Feb 28, 2011
I can confirm the USB keyboard works fine, I took my mac keyboard and connect to the tablet, went to settings, scroll down to USB Mode select, and enabled host mode. If it does not work the first time, just reboot the tablet with the keyboard connected and check if that usb setting is still enabled, it should work.

Cheers!

kyres

Feb 28, 2011
Sunigirl the new rom worked perfect for me, Shelves is working fine now, really happy!! thanks a lot!!

Sunigirl

Feb 19, 2011
I can confirm the USB keyboard works fine, I took my mac keyboard and connect to the tablet, went to settings, scroll down to USB Mode select, and enabled host mode. If it does not work the first time, just reboot the tablet with the keyboard connected and check if that usb setting is still enabled, it should work.

Cheers!

I concur--USB works fine if you are using the stock rom or the rooted rom I uploaded here http://www.mediafire.com/?e9njc094em7pwb6.
However--if you have flashed the apad710 froyo version 3, the usb and tf card aren't fully functional.

shak

Mar 16, 2011
If u use Android market, it will not give u full access of market (many apps r not accessable -apad710 froyo version 3),also usb drive is not accesable.
but i think this is beta version of android 2.2.1 (beta) and although it is 2.2 still flash does not working

Last edited:

Sunigirl

Feb 19, 2011
I believe the apad710 froyo v3 rom is just one more advance in Droidhound's pursuit to upgrade his tablet from android 2.1 to android 2.2. By no means is it 100 percent working and I imagine he will continue to make changes and release new roms. I provided the link as and option for anyone who was using Droidhound's version 2 and didn't know it had been updated or anyone wanting to check out Froyo on the eGlide.

Personally, I am using the rom I made of the factory-installed image with permanent root. I am going to update it with Adhocable so I can wireless tether to my phone. Once I do that I will post another rom or instructions for anyone interested.

shak

Mar 16, 2011
can anyone tell me how can i access and modify "xyz.img" files. i used magicDisc to access but it is not working.so can anyone tell me any software so that i can also do some kind of R&D with Android OS.
n that will be great if anyone can post the link of android 2.2 that can also run flash.
n how can i overclock my tablet(Ematic), i tried couple of app but that r not working rt now i m using 2.1 android that is posted by sunigirl.