Ematic eGlide 4 Android 4.0 Tablet Available at WalMart for $80 Bucks

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
eGlide4-homeportrait.jpeg

If you are in the market for a cheap tablet, then you may want to take a trip to WalMart. They have a new Android tablet there called the Ematic eGlide 4 and it is selling at a very affordable $79.99. It's specs will definitely not "wow" you, but they are decent for just $80 bones, especially that it comes with Ice Cream Sandwich. Here's a breakdown,
  • 7-inch touchscreen
  • 1 GHz single-core processor
  • 512 MB of RAM
  • 4GB of internal storage
  • 5GB of cloud storage
  • A microSD card slot
  • Office suite software
  • Mini HDMI Output
  • Wi-Fi
  • Android 4.0/ICS
What do you think? Could this be a good traveling or kid's tablet?

Source: WalMart

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
I have decided to try one for a couple of reasons:

None of the 10' chinese 'junks' will likely ever get to 3.0 let alone 4... without 'help' :rolleyes:
and
I thought Id see if a 7' would truly be any harder to see than the 10s... since I have to pull the contacts out to look at them up close anyway.

Ordered the resistive version... the other was $20 more and I prefer to use the pen...

:D

Once it arrives (In-store delivery) I will come back for some evaluations.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Thanks to the Nexus 7, one should expect all kinds of these cut-rate tablets to appear at...well the prices they should have been originally, to be honest.

What's really going to hurt is when the folks buying these realize that there is no ongoing support...ever.
So where exactly is the value in these things now unless you are willing to either become a coder for the machine or start begging someone else to be?

Sent from my Toshiba Excite 10 using Tapatalk 2

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
If you are in the market for a cheap tablet, then you may want to take a trip to WalMart. They have a new Android tablet there called the Ematic eGlide 4 and it is selling at a very affordable $79.99. It's specs will definitely not "wow" you, but they are decent for just $80 bones, especially that it comes with Ice Cream Sandwich. Here's a breakdown,

• 7-inch touchscreen
  • 1 GHz single-core processor
  • 512 MB of RAM
  • 4GB of internal storage
  • 5GB of cloud storage
  • A microSD card slot
  • Office suite software
  • Mini HDMI Output
  • Wi-Fi
  • Android 4.0/ICS
What do you think? Could this be a good traveling or kid's tablet?

Source: WalMart

I have the Ematic eGlide 10" XL Pro II, just got a few days ago, installed the android market on it no problems. Not sure if the same instructions will work for it, but as they are both ICS 4.0 and all the specs seem the same excpet for the display size they should work. I posted a review of the 10" tablet as well as installation instructions for adding the Android market without having to root the tablet on the Ematic forum.

Todd

rlm1949

Nov 26, 2010
I have the Eglide 7" Prism purchased from online shopping company. Just like all the other Android tablet(s) I have, it has many limitations. Oh, I paid $179. for the Prism and really don't what difference there are with the you identify. I do have 2 cameras and supposedly 3d. Having said that, it is slow, would recommend dual core, freezes up often and the normal complaint with these devices; none do the same thing or allow you to download many Android apps such as the Google Play Store; er, you got the idea. Methinks my next tablet will be the Ipad, at lease there is some standardization in their apps. Your turn to FLAME me. Just sayin' how they don't work for me, and no I shouldn't have to ROOT the unit to function. I call it the Android Turf Battle.

rlm1949

Nov 26, 2010
Since I have many Android tablets I suppose I should consider rooting the Prism; looks like I'm stuck with it and would like to have Google Play Store. Any reports on Rooting the Eglide Prism OS 4.0 ? Thank you.

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
Since I have many Android tablets I suppose I should consider rooting the Prism; looks like I'm stuck with it and would like to have Google Play Store. Any reports on Rooting the Eglide Prism OS 4.0 ? Thank you.

Not sure if it will work for you, but my Ematic eGlide Pro II XL runs ICS 4.0 as well, I posted a message on the Ematic forum on how to install Android market on my tablet. Took about 15 minutes and it's pretty simple. Since posting yesterday one other user has used these same steps to add android market to their Ematic tablet and it worked fro them as well. Hope this helps.

Todd

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
... and so it begins...

The tablet arrived and was picked up today... just an hour or so ago...
Have had it running long enough to get wifi connected and left it to charge up.

First impression:
The damn thing is SMALL!!! I say that because Im used to these 10" screens... but it is nice and thin and I believe I will like it.
Exactly what purpose it will serve remains to be seen.

:D