Endless force close loop

dslewis22

Jun 14, 2011
Hello,

I really need some help.

I did a stupid thing and hope that someone can help. I wasn't very happy with the supplied gTablet launcher. I checked some recommendations and installed the Android ADW launcher. After the installation, it worked just fine.

A couple of days ago, my gTablet restarted because I had let the battery discharge. When it started, it asked me if I wanted to use the gTablet launcher or the ADW launcher. Because I wanted to use the ADW launcher, I checked the "use this by default" or whatever it actually says about using as a default, and selected the ADW launcher.

Evidently, the gTablet does not like the ADW launcher at all when it has to be launched from a hard restart. My gTablet is now in an endless loop that displays "Sorry! The application ADW.Launcher (process android.process.acore) has stopped unexpectantly. Please try again." along with a "Force close" button to press. Pressing force close does nothing except displaying the "Sorry!..." message again.

So, now I have a gTablet that thinks it is supposed to use the ADW launcher by default, which ADW launcher does not work from a hard restart, which results in an endless force close loop. And, I have a gTablet that cannot do anything but try to use the ADW launcher, display a force close error, and try to use the launcher again after I select force close, ad nauseam.

I need to do some sort of hard reset of the gTablet that ignores/deletes the ADW launcher. But, I have no idea how to do this.

Regards,
Scott Lewis

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey Scott, well hopefully you've come to the right place. First, I'm curious if you're running the stock ROM (sounds like you are) and if so, which version? On the other hand, if you've installed a custom ROM we may have some better options. And on the other-other hand, if you are still stock, maybe this is that right moment to begin thinking about the exciting world of custom ROMs. :) Let us know what's, and we'll take it from there!

-Matt

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
IF you can get into the settings menu you should be able to uninstall ADW from the applications submenu there you can either clear defaults for the launcher so it'll bring you back to the selection screen where you can select the default tap-n-tap launcher or ADW or you can uninstall it completely ....

if you can't do that... use an external SD card to load clock work recovery and do a factory data reset from there. This will wipe the data partitions geetting rid of ADW (along with all your other apps unfortunatly) when you reboot it'll be like you just got the device starting fresh...

edit: and like Gadetrants said it depends on what firmware you're on... if you're on tap-n-tap 4349 you wont need to install clockwork you can do a reset from the default bootloader..

Last edited:

dslewis22

Jun 14, 2011
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick response. I am using a stock ROM, but I have no idea which version.

-- Scott

Hey Scott, well hopefully you've come to the right place. First, I'm curious if you're running the stock ROM (sounds like you are) and if so, which version? On the other hand, if you've installed a custom ROM we may have some better options. And on the other-other hand, if you are still stock, maybe this is that right moment to begin thinking about the exciting world of custom ROMs. :) Let us know what's, and we'll take it from there!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I think the idea of "jumping" into settings and trying to "kill" the app is a good first plan. Have you given that a try?...I imagine with the constant force closing, it may be worse than a video game to try and get in there.

-Matt

dslewis22

Jun 14, 2011
Hi,

The only thing I can do with the tablet is touch the ADW launcher force close button in the error window. The error window then immediately reappears. I cannot get past this loop.

I do have a micro SD card, but I assume to follow you advise, I will need to buy a micro SD card writer. Is the full procedure for doing a reset with the micro SD card available somewhere?

Regards,
Scott

IF you can get into the settings menu you should be able to uninstall ADW from the applications submenu there you can either clear defaults for the launcher so it'll bring you back to the selection screen where you can select the default tap-n-tap launcher or ADW or you can uninstall it completely ....

if you can't do that... use an external SD card to load clock work recovery and do a factory data reset from there. This will wipe the data partitions geetting rid of ADW (along with all your other apps unfortunatly) when you reboot it'll be like you just got the device starting fresh...

edit: and like Gadetrants said it depends on what firmware you're on... if you're on tap-n-tap 4349 you wont need to install clockwork you can do a reset from the default bootloader..

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, I had the feeling Plan A (kill the app) would be tough! It also sounds like since you can't get into settings, you can't check your ROM version.

So, let's try Plan B: if it is the 4349 ROM, you should have the 1.2 bootloader, which means: try booting into recovery by turning the gTab off, then restarting by pressing power and volume-up at the same time. If the recovery menu appears, you should have a "factory reset/wipe data" type option. Give it a try and let us know!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
this has happend to me before and plan "B" worked for me
Awesome, we have a testimonial! :)

WELCOME to the forum, by the way. It seems like everyone is either from North Carolina, or Northern California. ;)

-Matt

dslewis22

Jun 14, 2011
YES! Plan B worked after several tries. A window popped up asking whether I wanted to use the gTablet launcher or the ADW launcher, and I was able to boot into the gTablet launcher. But, evidently, you have to time when you release the power and volume keys just right for this to happen.

However, now it appears that if I try to launch any downloaded app, it fails with a force close message. So, I guess I will be deleting and reloading all my apps.

I'm still not crazy about the default launcher. Can you suggest any good alternative launchers that don't screw up the gTablet?

And, many thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Scott

OK, I had the feeling Plan A (kill the app) would be tough! It also sounds like since you can't get into settings, you can't check your ROM version.

So, let's try Plan B: if it is the 4349 ROM, you should have the 1.2 bootloader, which means: try booting into recovery by turning the gTab off, then restarting by pressing power and volume-up at the same time. If the recovery menu appears, you should have a "factory reset/wipe data" type option. Give it a try and let us know!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hmmm...can you describe what you did in a bit more detail? I anticipated that a factory reset (data wipe) would take out your apps, which explains part of your what you're seeing. Should I assume you booted into recovery successfully? Please fill us in...

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
LOL, Matt, I don't think that he booted into recovery, from what it sounds. Somehow, after the tablet booted up and after some magic timing of buttons pushing, the tablet allowed to select launcher. The situation sounds like it stated in this thread [FAQ] Why are so many applications randomly force closing? - xda-developers.

Hello Scott, you are in good hand with Matt. The only thing I'd mention that all launchers are good. The FC's may have nothing to do with Launchers. I normally stay with VTL-Launcher since I am partial to Gojimi's work.

Dave,

dslewis22

Jun 14, 2011
Hi Matt,

I did what you said with the power and volume buttons. And, tiny text was displayed in the upper left talking about recovery. (Sorry, I don't remember the exact words.) I tried releasing the buttons several times and it displayed a box with a big green down error, then it recycled to the ADW launcher. However, for reasons I don't understand, I seem to have gotten lucky and finally, after several tries with the power and volume buttons, a menu popped up asking which launcher I wanted to use. I selected the default launcher, and the gTablet booted into the home screen. I have no idea why this finally happened. Maybe the tablet gremlins decided to smile at me.

However, all the problems may not yet be solved. The process didn't delete all my downloaded apps, but it appears that they all now force close, while the "stock" apps that came with the tablet do not. So, I guess next I'll try deleting all the downloaded apps and reinstalling them -- and hope that they then work.

As an aside: Why is the stock launcher called Tap and Tap?

Also, is there any way to get the default e-mail app not to automatically check e-mail?

--Scott

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi Scott,

Sounds like you have an earlier (1.1 bootloader) version of the firmware. Looks like it's checking for an update (probably not finding it) and rebooting. But it's good news that you can get back in. :)

EDIT: OH YEAH, now that you can access the system, head on over to your system settings (is it under "About"?) and see if you can spot the software version!
However, all the problems may not yet be solved. The process didn't delete all my downloaded apps, but it appears that they all now force close, while the "stock" apps that came with the tablet do not. So, I guess next I'll try deleting all the downloaded apps and reinstalling them -- and hope that they then work.
It's a bit of a pain, but given the issues you're having with the newer apps, it will probably be smart to wipe the system and start over. Now that you can access the system, you should consider going into system settings and doing a factory reset. I think wiping should be a good short-term fix, but I recommend reading up on nvflash, and re-installing the 1.1 image.
Hi Matt,
As an aside: Why is the stock launcher called Tap and Tap?
I actually don't know. Proprietary name...I've heard some not-so-flattering spin-offs of that name!
Also, is there any way to get the default e-mail app not to automatically check e-mail?
Sorry, I've only used the Gmail app so far. Hopefully another user who knows the stock mail app can chime in on that question!

-Matt

Last edited: