Ereader for epubs

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I like lumibooks a lot, except for the fact that I'm locked into the internal SD storage. Also brightness isn't as easy as moon or aldiko, but both of those crash when my screen rotates.

What are you guys using for epubs?

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I'm actually using LumiReads. Works well for me. It does crash when the screen rotates (when it first opens) but if you turn it portrait side and open it, it's fine. (In other words, rotate it first.)

birdsonbat

May 6, 2011
I am using the Nook app. It allows you to view epubs that are not purchased at B&N. You have to import the epubs to the MyDocuments folder inside the Nook folder.

gordj

May 13, 2011
I just bought my A500 yesterday, and downloaded a couple of epub books from epubBooks: Free EPUB eBooks using Lumiread. I can see the books on the bookshelf, but when opening them, lumiread always says "CAN'T OPEN BOOK, UNKNOWN ERROR". Touching detail shows "internal: E_OPEN_MISSING_EXT_GSTATE".

I assume some of you have tried lumiread to open epub books successfully. Is there some configuration necessary for using Lumiread, or is the Lumiread app (or my A500) buggy? Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance,
Gord

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I just bought my A500 yesterday, and downloaded a couple of epub books from epubBooks: Free EPUB eBooks using Lumiread. I can see the books on the bookshelf, but when opening them, lumiread always says "CAN'T OPEN BOOK, UNKNOWN ERROR". Touching detail shows "internal: E_OPEN_MISSING_EXT_GSTATE".

I assume some of you have tried lumiread to open epub books successfully. Is there some configuration necessary for using Lumiread, or is the Lumiread app (or my A500) buggy? Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance,
Gord

So here's the deal: download the books you want from epub books. Run them through Calibre (if you don't have it, google it and get the latest version - it's free. GREAT program for book conversion.) In Calibre, "Add books" (either one or a whole folder), Edit Metadata, Convert books (to .epub, as strange as this sounds.) Put the books on your tablet in your LumiBooks folder. Refresh. Open them up in LumiReads. Worked for me for every book I had that error with.

gordj

May 13, 2011
So here's the deal: download the books you want from epub books. Run them through Calibre (if you don't have it, google it and get the latest version - it's free. GREAT program for book conversion.) In Calibre, "Add books" (either one or a whole folder), Edit Metadata, Convert books (to .epub, as strange as this sounds.) Put the books on your tablet in your LumiBooks folder. Refresh. Open them up in LumiReads. Worked for me for every book I had that error with.

thanks. that really means lumiread is buggy, at least not very up to date.

gordj

May 13, 2011
It wonders me why the "original" epub can't be opened but the converted one works fine. So I moved both versions from my PC to my tab. To my surprise, Lumiread opens both files! I tried download the same book again from epubBooks: Free EPUB eBooks within Lumiread, still got the same error. Then I carefully checked the downloaded file size and content, it's very small - actually it's more likely the current page not the actual book. No wonder Lumiread can't handle it.

It turns out to be an issue with the Lumiread's built-in "purchase" - the integration with web browser is buggy. If one does the same steps via browser outside Lumiread, then the book downloads fine - though I need to use a file manage to move the downloaded book from "Download" to "Lumiread".

Acer is no use in tech support - I spent hours and hours dealing with their so called "customer tech support" and talked to 3 different guys, none of them has any clue nor could they provide the slightest hint what to do next or who to talk to next - very frustrated and disappointed.

Does anybody know a way to fix the download issue within Lumiread's built-in purchase "feature"?

Thanks,
Gord

engineer1973

Jun 22, 2011
Hey were u able to solve your pdf reader issues? I just bought my Acer iconia and not able to read any pdf!

Thanks
Engi

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
The A500 has docs to go, which will open DOC, XLS, PPT, and PDF, make sure that you set that up and try it that way so you don't have to download unnecessary apps.

engineer1973

Jun 22, 2011
That's the problem. The docs to go is not opening any of my pdfs. It keeps giving me the same message over n over again that the pdf is in an unreadble format.

There is however no issues opening doc files.

Please advice.

TIA.

Regards
Engi

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

engineer1973

Jun 22, 2011
The pdf are opening fine on my laptop but here on my A500. Somehow somewhere something is screwed up!