Error messages during a Clockwork backup

fnzCat

Dec 10, 2010
I am following the excellent instructions by faceman in the FAQ section for backing up a new non-rooted NC.
Downloaded the Clockwork program and created a bootable CWR/Recovery mSD card.
In the process of backing up the new NC before rooting I get the following 2 error messages on the bottom of the NC screen:

1. No sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.

2. No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.

It appears to me as though this may be because of running the program off of the mSD card and those files not found. Normally Clockwork tries to backup the mSD when the program is located on internal storage.

But I want to check further with the knowledgeable people on these forums. I would hate to start rooting without knowing that I didn't get a complete backup. Are these messages something I should be concerned about?

Also, FYI, Windows ZipGenius program for unpacking the Clockwork .img file to create a bootable mSD works for the 2gb tar.gz, but not for the 4gb tar.gz. I tried several downloads and attempts to unpack and kept getting "Windows access violation in the ZipGenius" program. I ended up using the 7zip program and all worked fine for unpacking the 4gb tar.gz.

Thanks for any help.

fnzCat

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I've seen the same notations during backups, but restored just fine using the backup files created.

chmoto

Mar 6, 2011
I'm pretty sure it says that when you don't have any apps stored on the sd card. It always says that when I'm backing up roms on my phone. I'ver never had any problems restoring those backups either.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I am following the excellent instructions by faceman in the FAQ section for backing up a new non-rooted NC. Thank You
Downloaded the Clockwork program and created a bootable CWR/Recovery mSD card.
In the process of backing up the new NC before rooting I get the following 2 error messages on the bottom of the NC screen:

1. No sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage. -- This is normal, no problem at all, since we don't have any apps2sd running yet.

2. No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext. -- This is normal as well, since there is no external SD storage detected because you are operating from the SD at this stage, it's normal as well.

It appears to me as though this may be because of running the program off of the mSD card and those files not found. Normally Clockwork tries to backup the mSD when the program is located on internal storage. --Not entirely accurate, when CWR creates a backup, it will look to see if there are any apps2SD apps that need backed up, but it will not backup the actual contents of the mSD during a backup.

But I want to check further with the knowledgeable people on these forums. I would hate to start rooting without knowing that I didn't get a complete backup. Are these messages something I should be concerned about?

Also, FYI, Windows ZipGenius program for unpacking the Clockwork .img file to create a bootable mSD works for the 2gb tar.gz, but not for the 4gb tar.gz. I tried several downloads and attempts to unpack and kept getting "Windows access violation in the ZipGenius" program. I ended up using the 7zip program and all worked fine for unpacking the 4gb tar.gz.

Thanks for any help.

fnzCat

I've seen the same notations during backups, but restored just fine using the backup files created.
Yup
I'm pretty sure it says that when you don't have any apps stored on the sd card. It always says that when I'm backing up roms on my phone. I'ver never had any problems restoring those backups either.
Exactly...