ES File Management Question

LabShark

Jul 7, 2011
Under Mount - I see the External USB drive as well as the External SD Card. Those are explanatory.

What does the regular "SD" folder indicate?
What do you call the main window (home)?

Thanks alot!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Actually I don't see andy such thing as "regular SD" folder on my tablet under /mnt directory.

Since 3.1 I have an entry called sdcard which is simply an alternate path to your home directory (/sdcard).
Under 3.0.1 this was called something different I seem to remember, but I might be mistaken.

(In linux terms /sdcard is simply something like a link to the actual location if /mnt/sdcard).

EZguy

Jul 3, 2011
Icebike, you have been such a help on these issues, could you tell us a little more about file management on ES? You have said that you use it to transfer files from other computers on your network. I can't see how to do that. When I go to change the View in the menu and tap for LAN, I get this message: Add a server by Menu-New-Server When I go to Menu-New my choices are File, Folder or Search. All the search paths seem to be within the A500. As usual, any help appreciated.
:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
In ES File manager, tap the LAN button

1. Then tap Menu,
  2. Tap New
  3. Tap Server
  4. In the New/Edit Samba Server field enter your computer's name.
  5. Enter your login name and password
  6. Make sure its all correct and then press OK.
  7. Tap your server's name in the lan window and you should see a list of shares.

So Example:
You might have a machine named EZGuy-Dell.
You would enter EZGUY-Dell in the computer name and then your login & Password.

Note that to make access to specific directories faster its often easier to add directory names to the share.
So you might put in the computer name as
EZGuy-Dell/users/EZGuy
When you tap this in the Lan window it will go directly to your directory so you don't have to dig around in sub directories.

Also, You must have set up sharing on your computer, and shared your drive/directory ahead of time, and don't forget to password protect your shares.

And, as anyone who has ever dealt with windows networking can tell you, windows networks are slow to find other computers when you first fire them up. So if you just booted your computer expect it to take a while to show up in the list.

The ES File Manager Scan option does not work reliably on all networks. I don't know why. File Manager HD can scan, but it is soooo friggen sloooow I can't stand it. That's why you have to know your Computer's name ahead of time. You can also use IP addresses if you know these.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Copying files from your Computer to your Tablet with ES-File Manager

Before you start....
Look at ES File Manager, and if you see a thin line (the one that shows your current directory) with a "square in a balloon" on the far right, tap it so that SECOND ROW of Icons shows up. (This row includes a magnifying glass for search, A up-Folder, tools, etc.). Play with those to become familiar. The first icon is a MicroSD card which takes you to the root of the storage, indicated by a / (slash) in the directory path line.

1. Tap Lan at top of screen
  2. Select your source computer
  3. Drill down to the directory containing the files you want to copy.
  4. If you want to copy multiple files, tap the + (Plus sign flanked by two "page" symbols) in the second icon bar.
  5. If selecting multiple files, Tap each file you want to copy. If selecting multiple, they each turn Green, when done, tap the menu button at bottom and select Operations, and then select Copy
  6. If selecting a single file Long press it and select COPY.
  7. Then Tap Local at the top row of icons.
  8. Find the directory where you want to store these files
  9. Tap Menu at the bottom
  10. Tap Operations
  11. Tap Paste.

While you have multiple files selected, a little Button shows at the bottom if the window. If you tap that you can see all the files selected, and delete them from the copy, or paste them or what ever. Long press each file to see options.

Copying from Tablet to computer is just as easy. Reverse the order of selection of source and target. (swap steps 1-2 with steps 7-8).

EZguy

Jul 3, 2011
I can follow each of your steps in ES. You laid it out very clearly, and I can see it as you describe. But, as you say, the first step is to set up file sharing in my computer. Before this experience with the A500, I never had a reason to share files from computer to computer over a wireless network. Setting that up is certainly not obvious in Windows 7 which expects you to use something called Homeshare that requires everything to be Windows 7. When I can figure out how to set up file sharing, I should have no problem following your directions for using ES...