Essential Files

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
While I'm working out what do do after bricking the Tabex7 (72 hours after buying, new record for me!) I'd thought to ask if anyone knew if there were specific essential apps from the original install that need to be kept on there?

FIrst off, I never got the hwver.

I used UniversalAndRoot to root the phone, and Root Explorer to remove apps. I was using EStrongExplorer as well for looking at some new apps and loading those.
Gotta head to work, So I'll post what I removed and what I added later today.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
While I'm working out what do do after bricking the Tabex7 (72 hours after buying, new record for me!) I'd thought to ask if anyone knew if there were specific essential apps from the original install that need to be kept on there?

FIrst off, I never got the hwver.

I used UniversalAndRoot to root the phone, and Root Explorer to remove apps. I was using EStrongExplorer as well for looking at some new apps and loading those.
Gotta head to work, So I'll post what I removed and what I added later today.

The Hwver is most likely 11.2.1.5, assuming there is no HDMI port, and it says "Express" on the box.

The pointer site isn't working, but the bet4 file is here
http://222.73.93.45/update/11.2.1.5/11.2.1.5.2.0_beta4.ius
Re-flash with the OTG method works.
Everything will be restored, but anything you added will be gone.

If it's some other version, then you could permanently brick it, if so, return it.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
While I'm working out what do do after bricking the Tabex7 (72 hours after buying, new record for me!)

You're not alone, while this tablet has a lot of potential a major shortfall is a working recovery, so when something goes wrong it could easily be restored.

A message worth repeating - While the tablet is functioning:

Make a copy of your receipt, save the warranty and the contact information for Customer Service

AND

1) confirm the "factory reset (three finger method)" works
2) identify the Hardware ID "hwver"
3) obtain the appropriate update file *.ius (either from the mtd2 "resv" partition or the update server)
4) obtain and explore the use of the update utility
5) ensure your computer can either create a working bootable microSD card or connect via OTG port with the proper drivers

Then enjoy your tablet experience!

I'd thought to ask if anyone knew if there were specific essential apps from the original install that need to be kept on there?.
Any of the original applications/files will be either updated or restored depending whether a "factory reset (three finger method)" is applied or a manual update is performed. What should be kept on hand are the applications that will need to be re-installed in addition to the utilities and update files to recover.

• Android Terminal Emulator, a VT-100 compatible terminal emulator.
  • InfoTM Update Wrap utility, IUW.exe. IUW Version 1.0
  • current update file (*.ius)

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
Okay. Well, thanks for the info on the RMA...

As for the next go round... I know I removed the following apks: Droid Reader (PDF Reader), HelenBrowser, & Calculator. I want to say there was something else but I'm drawing a blank so that might be it.
I had also renamed the File Manager to FileManagerold.apk. Didn't seem to have much effect because it would still launch.

I had installed UniversalAndRoot, Root Explorer 1.2 (other version 2.0 & 2.1 wouldn't work, FC'd) and EStrongs FileManager and Bookmark Manager.

Are there any of those original APKs that have to be kept on there even if I use soemthing else? Or should they be fine with removal? We really do need a list of what can be removed, what HAS to stay, or even what could be replaced with a different apk in the system\app directory.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
Well I've spent the day playing with file names and rebooting my tab and so far I've come up with a list of apps that don't seem critical to the tab working properly. I've got the TABEX7 with the 2.2 OS.

Calculator
CalendarWidget
Contacts
DeskClock
DroidReader - Adobe Reader installed
Email
FileManager - EStrongs & RootExplorer installed
HelenBrowser - EStrongs & RootExplorer installed
Laputa3.0.3
Launcher1 - LauncherPro installed
Phone
SAM4
Sound Recorder
TelephonyProvider
Term - The Terminal Emulator referred to in several other threads here installed
WeatherForecast

Some of the apk's I intend to get rid of after a few days to make sure the tab doesn't miss them. The phone and Telephony ones I may keep a bit in case I decide to start using Skype.

There is a Protips.apk, does anyone know what it is and if it can be removed?

Something of note is that the Google Services apk begun repeated FC's when I renamed the COntactsProvider apk. It stopped once I renamed it back.

Sent from my Sytabex7