Ethernet support and user interface on Android

rmaleki

Aug 9, 2011
​Hi everybody,
hope that all is well with u,

I am porting android to a special board that only has LAN ethernet interface (no other network interface such as WIFI, etc). Lan is the only way for me for networking, so i need to configure Ethernet lan, for example define LAN port, etc. but the problem is that there is no menu in network and wireless config for LAN.

Note that I have activated the LAN port eth0 in underlying Linux kernel and can ping everywhere on internet (for example 8.8.8.8) from command line. But on the android screen, there is no Lan settings, There are only Wireless, VPN, ...
Most of android applications can not use Linux driver and so they can not connect and give the error
"there is no network connection". But actually there is a network connection. and I need to define LAN port that applications can see LAN.

After searching a lot on the internet I found a topic that said android supports ethernet.
and it was for Google 1.6 Android Tablet PC.
here is the screenshot:

$Google_Android_Ethernet_Connection-2.jpg
and the url:
http://www.maxfairgroup.com/Android_tablet_PC_connect_internet_Ethernet.htm

So, I want to ask you how to enable this feature in android for my special purpose.
Is it an Apk application or something else? (off course I searched a lot but nothing found as ethernet.apk)

Thanks in advance for your help

dylan8482

Aug 30, 2012
​Hi everybody,
hope that all is well with u,

I am porting android to a special board that only has LAN ethernet interface (no other network interface such as WIFI, etc). Lan is the only way for me for networking, so i need to configure Ethernet lan, for example define LAN port, etc. but the problem is that there is no menu in network and wireless config for LAN.

Note that I have activated the LAN port eth0 in underlying Linux kernel and can ping everywhere on internet (for example 8.8.8.8) from command line. But on the android screen, there is no Lan settings, There are only Wireless, VPN, ...
Most of android applications can not use Linux driver and so they can not connect and give the error
"there is no network connection". But actually there is a network connection. and I need to define LAN port that applications can see LAN.

After searching a lot on the internet I found a topic that said android supports ethernet.
and it was for Google 1.6 Android Tablet PC.
here is the screenshot:

View attachment 3461
and the url:
http://www.maxfairgroup.com/Android_tablet_PC_connect_internet_Ethernet.htm

So, I want to ask you how to enable this feature in android for my special purpose.
Is it an Apk application or something else? (off course I searched a lot but nothing found as ethernet.apk)

Thanks in advance for your help

I have a Zenithink 280 tablet with the Ethernet capability, sadly the only thing its good for is internet. I don't know of anyone who has made apps for Ethernet.