Everything seems to be going wrong with my Nook Color

MyJewishSoul

May 31, 2011
I wish I had seen this when you first created the thread, I could have saved you a lot of grief. I bought 2 NCs from B&N and loved them so much that I bought an "opened but new" NC on eBay for $200.00 as a gift for a friend. I had just about the same experience you are having. The guy I bought it from registered it in his name so I had to contact him and have him deregister it. After I finally got that straightened out I had boot loops and other oddities from flashing custom roms until I wanted to smash it in little pieces. I called B&N to see what their return policy was and found out that the device was still under warranty, I asked for a new one and they sent it, problem solved.
I really am hoping that you find a solution to your problem, best of luck.

Wulfie

Jun 5, 2011
I'm on CM7 108 at the moment.  I'm still getting sporadic internet access even though my wi-fi is pretty good (usually just shy of full bars).  I connected to my phones wi-fi hotspot which produces full bars on the Nook with good internet results.  This isn't practical though because I can't always have my phone creating a wi-fi hotspot.  Doesn't this seem odd that my Nook is only internet reliable when it's connected to an excellent wifi connection, but functionally wont work at all when it's on a good wifi connection?

Also when I go into ROM Manager and try to flash the current version of CWR, it pulls up the "confirm phone model" (when it is actually connecting to the internet) but as soon a put my finger on the menu to scroll through, it selects the first one I touch.  This is one of the problems I was having before on all ROMs.

Wulfie

Jun 5, 2011
I wish I had seen this when you first created the thread, I could have saved you a lot of grief. I bought 2 NCs from B&N and loved them so much that I bought an "opened but new" NC on eBay for $200.00 as a gift for a friend. I had just about the same experience you are having. The guy I bought it from registered it in his name so I had to contact him and have him deregister it. After I finally got that straightened out I had boot loops and other oddities from flashing custom roms until I wanted to smash it in little pieces. I called B&N to see what their return policy was and found out that the device was still under warranty, I asked for a new one and they sent it, problem solved.
I really am hoping that you find a solution to your problem, best of luck.

Thanks for the support.

I'm hoping that through this process I can learn more about this belligerent device. If I can't resolve these issues soon, then I certainly would like to just start over with a new one. However, I don't have a clue if this is still under warranty and I don't have a receipt for it either.

Wulfie

Jun 5, 2011
Wulfie, try cleaning your screen really well. Sometimes that can throw off the touch.

Ha ha that makes sense.

So I just went into ROM Manager, flashed the latest version, then tried to make a backup through ROM Manager, and now I'm in that all too familiar bootloop again. Am I missing something here?

Edit: This is the kind of bootloop where I can't get it to turn off. It just sits there with the cyanogenmod logo saying "Loading..." When I hold the power down, it turns off and then comes right back on. When I hold power + n, it does the same thing but instead of saying "Loading..." it says "Booting into recovery..." It does not boot into recovery.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ha ha that makes sense.

So I just went into ROM Manager, flashed the latest version, then tried to make a backup through ROM Manager, and now I'm in that all too familiar bootloop again. Am I missing something here?

I would avoid making backups from ROM Manager. That seems to be what keeps throwing you off. If you have CWR installed internally boot into recovery and make a backup or if you are using a bootable CWR SD pop that in and make a backup. ROM Manager in its latest incarnations is supposed to function as well as CWR but it doesn't.

That is not to say using CWR will prevent all issues but ROM Manager has consitently seemed to have these sorts of issues. Because of that I do everything through CWR instead of ROM Manager.

Let us know if you can't break the boot loop but it sounds like you have it down by now.

Wulfie

Jun 5, 2011
I would avoid making backups from ROM Manager. That seems to be what keeps throwing you off. If you have CWR installed internally boot into recovery and make a backup or if you are using a bootable CWR SD pop that in and make a backup. ROM Manager in its latest incarnations is supposed to function as well as CWR but it doesn't.

That is not to say using CWR will prevent all issues but ROM Manager has consitently seemed to have these sorts of issues. Because of that I do everything through CWR instead of ROM Manager.

Let us know if you can't break the boot loop but it sounds like you have it down by now.

Ok I'm done with ROM Manager now except for flashing the latest CWR. I just edited my last post explaining this boot loop is different than the others because I can't turn it off and put my SD card in. I don't understand why this time it's different. If I take out the card that's in there now and put in my bootable SD card while it's in the boot loop, will it fry my cards?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok I'm done with ROM Manager now except for flashing the latest CWR. I just edited my last post explaining this boot loop is different than the others because I can't turn it off and put my SD card in. I don't understand why this time it's different. If I take out the card that's in there now and put in my bootable SD card while it's in the boot loop, will it fry my cards?

Just hold the power button for like 15 seconds and it should power down. If not you should be able to remove the card without issue.

Wulfie

Jun 5, 2011
I just flashed the latest version of CWR from Rom Manager, then told it to reboot into recovery, ad now it's in a boot loop again. Why does my device seem to refuse to flash recovery?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So you told it to boot into recovery then what did you do? It powered down to boot into recovery then powered up and what?

Wulfie

Jun 5, 2011
So you told it to boot into recovery then what did you do? It powered down to boot into recovery then powered up and what?

After I tell it to reboot into recovery, it powers off, then restarts, and freezes at the CyanogenMod logo saying "Loading..." It seems to always want to do this whenever I attempt to go into CWR either from Rom Manager or the power off menu even though I keep flashing the latest CWR from Rom Manager. It also wont go into recovery when I hold down "power+n."

Does it matter that I have accidentally flashed CWR for different devices with Rom Manager? I kept doing this accidentally when I guess my screen was dirty and not responding properly. Is there a CWR 3.02.8 zip file I should flash from my SD card?

Wulfie

Jun 5, 2011
Would it matter what version of B&N stock software I was using before flashing ROMs even though I am flashing them internally to the emmc?

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Would it matter what version of B&N stock software I was using before flashing ROMs even though I am flashing them internally to the emmc?

Well, it shouldn't since you are installing to eMMC. So booting into the rom is ok? But booting into recovery isn't?

Wulfie

Jun 5, 2011
Well, it shouldn't since you are installing to eMMC. So booting into the rom is ok? But booting into recovery isn't?

When I'm not in a boot loop from trying to go into recovery, booting into the ROM is ok. It's as if I don't have an internal recovery.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You might want to check out the thread for removing CWR. Try that make sure you can still boot the ROM normally. If everything is ok then try reinstalling CWR.

JP