"Excellent" WiFi signal strength is "out of range" for LePan II

taxpayer

Mar 9, 2012
Thanks to Johna2u, I have seen the LePan II user manual, and I seem to be properly attempting to connect to wifi. The list of networks shows mine as "signal strength: excellent" , but when I press "connect" I get no result. Near the top of the screen says
"Wi-Fi
Scanning..."

I never actually get a connection. Sometimes it lists my network as "not in range".

I know my wi-fi network is OK since my other computers connect to it without difficulty, from much greater distances than where I am doing this test.

Any suggestions? How would I know if I have a defective unit?

Last edited:

barskin

Mar 5, 2012
Well, knock on wood, I have not as yet had any wifi problems that were not of my own ineptitude. I was going crazy the first time I tried to connect at my office using my personal mobile hotspot. Signal strength was "excellent." Status was scanning, scanning, scanning. I was on line with a tech from Le Pan, when it struck me...I was using my home wifi network password with my mifi device. Fail! I started over, entered the correct password, and - hallelujah! - it connected immediately. I hope you have a similar easy solution. It's a great tablet.

taxpayer

Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for these suggestions-- which thus far haven't yielded a solution. I have opened a case with Le Pan tech support, and meanwhile will try to figure out wired networking.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
taxpayer are you sure you entered the correct password? an incorrect passwod will connect then check the password if it is incorrect it will disconnect and try again in an endless loop.

open your wi fi connection choose forget then reopen itnand re enter your password

taxpayer

Mar 9, 2012
Yes, I had tried that a couple of times, no luck. I also discovered that when I plugged it into the usb port of my desktop, neither the desktop nor the Le Pan noticed anything. Same result when I plugged the Le Pan into a netbook running Windows 7. So there is some sort of strange problem here, and after two days Le Pan tech support has had nothing to suggest to me (not even an acknowledgement of the problem I posted). So the Le Pan is going back to its vendor, and after a while I shall try something else.

Thanks to all, including writers of posts on this forum and elsewhere which I consulted along the way.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
Taxpayer, maybe your tablet is already gone but if not.. When you plug the Le Pan into the computer you have to turn on USB debugging mode for the computer to see it I think. I don't have my tablet in front of me right now to verify that but you have to turn on debugging or mass storage or something to that affect. Then the computer will see it as an external drive.

LePan69

Mar 15, 2012
I have read all the wifi problems people have had & crossed my fingers that mine would be OK. Just got it this morning & immediately registered my DHCP/MAC address with the university & entered the password.

The tablet keeps showing a signal, then no signal ... which is odd bc my laptop & my phone both have steady connections. It does this with all the various wifi signals on campus.

I am going to let it charge completely before I start to panic - just in case. I know you are supposed to let it charge completely the 1st time you use it but since I bought it used I assumed it was OK to start using while I charged it ...

Please please let this thing work bc I have no idea if you can and/or how easy it is to return something used on Amazon.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
Lepan69 I doubt you will be able to return it to Amazon if it is used. You should have no trouble reselling it though. I think the wi fi issues people experience are a combination of quality control at Le Pan and the way a person uses it. I use mine at home and at work where I have complete control over how the router is set up. I did try it at Starbucks the other day and it connected just fine.

Sometimes my LP2 takes a few minutes to get a steady signal but then works fine. You can find a lot of helpful information on Le Pan at Le Pan Life Forums

Stevo

Jun 21, 2011
Gosh, I really am happy that mine seems to work just fine. For those reading all of this and thinking of not buying one, I would recommend giving it a try anyway. My Le Pan picks up way more signals that my laptop and my "other" tablet. I also don't have Youtube cache issues and downloads are fine. I connect at home, work, airports, Starbucks, any other open network...

I guess I'm saying good ones are out there.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
Gosh, I really am happy that mine seems to work just fine. For those reading all of this and thinking of not buying one, I would recommend giving it a try anyway. My Le Pan picks up way more signals that my laptop and my "other" tablet. I also don't have Youtube cache issues and downloads are fine. I connect at home, work, airports, Starbucks, any other open network...

I guess I'm saying good ones are out there.

I agree Stevo. At least you me and spaceboy have good ones. I have two both work great. There are a lot of posts saying they work gret with no problems and a lot that complain about wi fi. I wonder what is different?

Last edited:

LePan69

Mar 15, 2012
Yep, the very 1st thing I did was a factory reset since I bought it used. No telling what the previous owner was up to on this thing *lol*

It was a nightmare getting it connected on campus as all 4 wi-fi options kept dropping in & out but the help desk finally got it to work.

I went home & connected just fine to my home wifi.

It now works fine except it definitely has a harder time picking up a signal than my Nokia N8 phone or Dell XPS laptop.

Last edited: