External Card storage - will rooting allow me to store apps to my 32gb card?

bunchacats

Apr 4, 2012
I just purchased a Coby Kyros MID7127 for my daughter. Following directions I found here, I successfully installed the new Google Play market. I then installed all of the Angry Birds games, Amazon market, NetFlix, and a few other simple games (she is three, so they are very simple). I now get the message that my storage is low. I don't feel like I've installed an excessive amount of apps and will definitely want to install more in the future. I've read enough here to know about the problem with not being able to store apps directly to my SD card like I can on my android phone (which, thanks Coby, that really sucks), but I'm confused on how to proceed from here.

I would try rooting, but from what I'm reading I'm not sure whether it will help me with this issue. There is SOOOO much info here that I'm a bit over loaded. If I root, will I then be able to store and run apps from my 32GB external card?

bunchacats

Apr 4, 2012
I'm having 16gig on my 7022. All my apps are on external sd card using LINK2SD. Here's the process I followed for 7022, hope it'll work for your 7127 too.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2-technical/21940-link2sd-mid7022.html

Thanks! I'll give it a try - I sure hope it works for us. If I can get the apps to the sd card, this tablet will be perfect for my daughter. She is pretty young, so I can't justify spending the $$$ for a tablet that doesn't have this issue.

bunchacats

Apr 4, 2012
I just rooted by 7127 with no problems. :) I did have to install the Motorola drivers, but other than that completely problem free. I'm attempting to install ClockWorkMod so that I can do a backup before installing link2sd. The directions say to save the required update file to the sdcard/tflash folder. I don't seem to be able to tell the file where to install, though, and the coby tells me that the file cannot be moved. Any ideas? I feel so close, but so far away. :)

Sikander

Dec 11, 2011
Save the CWM update file on the root of SD card. Boot into the recovery and choose apply the update from SD card.

bunchacats

Apr 4, 2012
Save the CWM update file on the root of SD card. Boot into the recovery and choose apply the update from SD card.

Please bear with me, as I am new to all of this and not terribly familiar with the terminology. I've saved the update file to /sdcard/. When you say "boot into the recovery" - what exactly do I do? I'm scared to do to much here and screw this thing up.

bunchacats

Apr 4, 2012
I was just reviewing the video from TheKwa again, and he says the root of the sd card is sdcard/tflash. How can I save a file there? Or move it there from sdcard/? When I run the update from where it is it aborts.

Ok, looks like I got it installed. I had to download the upload.zip file to my laptop, then transfer it over to the sdcard/flash folder. This is probably just common sense to a lot of you, but to a noob like me it took a while and a bit more thinking than I was doing initially. Now to move on to actually making a back up, then to link2sd. Then, finally, my daughter might have a functioning tablet for her birthday. Thanks for your help!

Last edited: