External hard drive

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
I probably already know the answer to this question but I thought I'd see if any of you have tried this. I bought an external drive enclosure and put a 320 GB laptop drive in it. I transferred 250 or so movies to it and it works flawlessly. However, the cable is full size USB to full size USB with an extra USB dongle on one end for supplying more power to the drive if need be. I don't anticipate ever needing it.

The little case I bought for the A500 holds everything I need but space is at a premium. The hard drive itself fits like a champ but the cable has just a shade too much bulk (It's longer than I had hoped).

Had anyone ever cut that extra dongle off with any success? I have a feeling you can but as soon as I do, I'll have transformed a working cable into a non-working one :)

I may try it and if it doesn't work, I'll just go and get a shorter cable.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
i'd just go get a shorter cable and forget about it. They are cheap cheap cheap :)

Brian64

Aug 20, 2011
Interesting idea.. if I read you correctly you're dedicating an external drive to your A500, and have a case to semi-permanently link them? I'd be interested in seeing a pic or two of what you've come up with if you're willing to share.

Cheers,

Brian

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
Once I get a cable that's short enough (I was too chicken to cut the extra dongle off :) ), I'll probably do the same thing I did with my laptop: 4 1/2 inch velcro squares on the back of the drive and the back of the unit (on my laptop it's on the right side near the hinge...on the acer, I'll probably center it) so when the drive is connected, it functions as a single unit. I'll put the fuzzy side of the velcro on the A500 and the hooks on the drive so when it's not connected there's a softer feel to the A500...a minor aesthetic point. This is all predicated on getting a shorter cable. If I have to use the long one, I'll probably just leave it unattached...having that much cable flopping around sort of defeats the purpose.

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
I had exactly the same issue and simply cut off the shorter loop USB plug. It is only used for a drive that draws more current than a single USB port ordinarily supplies.
Just make sure you cut it as close to the remaining USB plug as posible and make sure none on the conductors (wires) are touching and drop a blob of glue on the cut end. Use electircal tape to secure the stub for security.

Of course, unplug from any equipment before starting :)

Short leads may be cheap, cheap, cheap, but why pay out when you cn do it for free, free, free.

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
AHH! I KNEW there was some brave soul out there who tried it! :) I haven't been able to get to Best Buy so I'm holding out to see if I can get a short cable but if not, I'll at least make this one a shade less bulky (with the emphasis on SHADE, because, let's face it, doing this isn't gonna make it THAT much smaller)...

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
OK, here's my handiwork...I still haven't found a short cable but I'm going to Best Buy today to check there.

Here's the drive with all 4 "hook pads" on it and 2 of the "fuzzy pads" placed on top. I put the other two on before attaching. I do it this way so it's easy to place them on the back of the tablet in the proper positions:

$2011-08-22 10.25.09.jpg

Here's the back of the tablet with the "fuzzy pads" in place:

$2011-08-22 10.28.19.jpg

Here's the drive hooked up and ready to go:

$2011-08-22 10.29.58.jpg