Extremely Frustrated

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Okay, so I finally got the microSD card I needed to root my Nook (seller took forever). I'm running CM7 and it's great but the Market is really making me angry. Not one of the apps I want is available. Not one. They all show up in search but with no button to download them. I got the new Market pushed on me without any warning and I am not liking it so far. Why are so many apps blocked?

ETA: Finally got Amazon App Store installed. For some reason it wouldn't work in anything but the stock browser. Setting up email was so easy I was shocked. Now hopefully I can find Zinio and Netflix.

Last edited:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Found Zinio and Netflix! So far so good except for Market freezing once. I really dislike the new Market so far.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I'm really liking this rooted Nook now. Took some time to get everything sorted but it's really nice. The initial frustration was worth it.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
To get your old market back download root explorer from the market. Once installed, navigate to /system and find a program called market updater.apk, at the top left of the screen you will see a button marked R/O. Push the button to make the system R/W allowing you to rename market updater.apk to market updater.bak

Exit root explorer and go to system settings, select applications, then select market. Select uninstall update.

Close out settings and reboot. You will now have the old market and no automatic updates.

Enjoy.

Sent from my NexusOne using Tapatalk

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Can you use root explorer on NC that is stock 1.2 OS internal/CM7 on SD card?

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Can you use root explorer on NC that is stock 1.2 OS internal/CM7 on SD card?

Yes, simply insert your CM7 Sd card and boot up. Then go follow moshe's steps to get root explorer and so on.

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Which 'root explorer'? It costs $2.99 There's a free one called File Explorer. Does it do the same?

alphawave7

May 1, 2011
Which 'root explorer'? It costs $2.99 There's a free one called File Explorer. Does it do the same?

This can also be accomplished with EStrong's File Explorer (aka ES File Explorer). The R/W function is slightly buried within its setting menus, but it's there, and just as effective.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'm using the free ES File Explorer too and it does the job very nicely.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Ok, I was on the xda forum this morning and found a method for the market that works better than anything else I have found.
Using a root explorer app (take your choice) navigate to /system and edit build properties to set screen resolution to 160 instead of 161 which is what cm7 uses.
Exit from the file app and go to settings-applications-market and select delete data.
Reboot
You will have the new market with all your apps available PLUS you now have access to movie rentals.
Pretty dang cool!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
good find moshe

by the way i also set my resolution to 220 - makes things a little bigger - now it sorta matches my galaxy tab 7

Ok, I was on the xda forum this morning and found a method for the market that works better than anything else I have found.
Using a root explorer app (take your choice) navigate to /system and edit build properties to set screen resolution to 160 instead of 161 which is what cm7 uses.
Exit from the file app and go to settings-applications-market and select delete data.
Reboot
You will have the new market with all your apps available PLUS you now have access to movie rentals.
Pretty dang cool!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk