Extremely slow running A500

Feb 17, 2012
Hi I recently purchased an Iconia tab A500 and the slowness of it is driving me crazy. When I click on a search bar and start typing it takes up to 30 seconds before the letters even start showing up I somtimes get a whole sentence typed before it appears. When Im scrolling through pages the next page doesnt populate very fast it comes in all blocky and slow. I have a very fast internet connection so i know this isnt the problem I get over 15 mb download on all my other devices. So what do you all think should i get it replaced or are you guys dealing with thesame thing.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Not the same on mine, while some pages are slow to render I have never had that much lag while typing.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
To OP. How often do you turn the tablet off?
Also try installing Advanced task killer. And kill the running background Apps.
Has it always been like this? It sounds to me like you have something interfering with the browser or something hogging system resources.
I also use Android Assistant. With it set to close background Apps every 30 min. It does well at keeping resources freed up.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
OP, I don't have the same problems you're having. If you don't have a cache and history cleaner, I suggest installing one of the free apps and give that a try. The junk builds up really fast and can slow your browser down. You might try Dolphin Browser HD also. I use it all the time and it works much better for me than the default browser. I've always had problems with the default one.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
I never reboot my tab, or rarely do. Have no lag on input, I even use custom theming and it's smooth as butter. Don't have task killers runnign and killing all the time, that will actually affect battery time as apps will simply relaunch.

Something isn't right with your tablet. Be sure you didn't isntall anything that can greatly reduce performance or is running in the background all the time. Also if you don't use it disable Acer wi.fi Media synch. Turn the server search off totally.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I would do a full reset procedure to bring it back to factory and see how it performs, details can be found with a search.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
the slow typing is the keyboard. i use the hackers keyboard.
if you search the threads you will find answers.
you will have to do a lot of reading on these threads but all your answers are here.
sorry but there are many threads on each subject because everytime someone has a problem they start a new thread.
therefore we have an unorganized cluttered site.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I never reboot my tab, or rarely do. Have no lag on input, I even use custom theming and it's smooth as butter. Don't have task killers running and killing all the time, that will actually affect battery time as apps will simply relaunch.

Something isn't right with your tablet. Be sure you didn't install anything that can greatly reduce performance or is running in the background all the time. Also if you don't use it disable Acer wi.fi Media sync. Turn the server search off totally.

I have found on most of my Android devices that without rebooting a few times a week and without something to kill background apps my devices become unstable and unresponsive.
I have friends with Android devices that have the same issues and most if not all their problems are taken care of with Advanced Task Killer or Android Assistant.
I know Google says Android does not need these apps and is actually better of without them, but personal experience shows me otherwise, just as Microsoft says their OS is safe and stable and anyone who has had nightmare problems with their OS will argue otherwise.
It would not hurt for the OP to try these things, it may help, it may not and if not the OP can uninstall the apps or do a factory reset.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I have found on most of my Android devices that without rebooting a few times a week and without something to kill background apps my devices become unstable and unresponsive.
I have friends with Android devices that have the same issues and most if not all their problems are taken care of with Advanced Task Killer or Android Assistant.
I know Google says Android does not need these apps and is actually better of without them, but personal experience shows me otherwise, just as Microsoft says their OS is safe and stable and anyone who has had nightmare problems with their OS will argue otherwise.
It would not hurt for the OP to try these things, it may help, it may not and if not the OP can uninstall the apps or do a factory reset.

I agree with you. This is my experience too. I use my tablet several hours every day and sometimes I notice certain apps just not functioning the way they should, or it gets sluggish, just glitches here and there. I have lots of apps and I don't know what one is causing the problem. That's when I run a task killer and I do notice a big improvement. Sometimes a particular app "misbehaves" and causes problems and running the task killer solves the problem. I personally very seldom reboot, but I know I would have to more often if I didn't run a task killer once in a while. Thank you for the Android Assistant tip. I'm trying it now and so far I really like it. I just wish the dev would make a tablet version.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Hi I recently purchased an Iconia tab A500 and the slowness of it is driving me crazy. When I click on a search bar and start typing it takes up to 30 seconds before the letters even start showing up I somtimes get a whole sentence typed before it appears. When Im scrolling through pages the next page doesnt populate very fast it comes in all blocky and slow. I have a very fast internet connection so i know this isnt the problem I get over 15 mb download on all my other devices. So what do you all think should i get it replaced or are you guys dealing with thesame thing.
Even if your internet speed is good there may still be an issue with buffering.

You may have a lot of widgets which use up bandwidth. I'd start there first. Then clear some of the caches of the various apps you are running. The next remote possibility is a virus or a trojan.

:cool:

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Greg_E said:
I would do a full reset procedure to bring it back to factory and see how it performs, details can be found with a search.

I did this to my tab and now it runs like a champ.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I agree with you. This is my experience too. I use my tablet several hours every day and sometimes I notice certain apps just not functioning the way they should, or it gets sluggish, just glitches here and there. I have lots of apps and I don't know what one is causing the problem. That's when I run a task killer and I do notice a big improvement. Sometimes a particular app "misbehaves" and causes problems and running the task killer solves the problem. I personally very seldom reboot, but I know I would have to more often if I didn't run a task killer once in a while. Thank you for the Android Assistant tip. I'm trying it now and so far I really like it. I just wish the dev would make a tablet version.

Ah my friend, that app works just fine on both of the tablets I have/had.
Sold my Vizio to my brother, it is installed on it and works perfectly, also I have it installed on my Toshiba Thrive tablet and it works just as well there as it does on the Vizio and every Android phone I have ever installed it on.
Advanced task killer is another good app for this but I find that AA works better for me because of all the other things it can do.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Ah my friend, that app works just fine on both of the tablets I have/had.
Sold my Vizio to my brother, it is installed on it and works perfectly, also I have it installed on my Toshiba Thrive tablet and it works just as well there as it does on the Vizio and every Android phone I have ever installed it on.
Advanced task killer is another good app for this but I find that AA works better for me because of all the other things it can do.

Yep, I believe what you're saying. We're on the same page there. Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I should have said was, I wish the main page was in landscape mode. My case makes my tablet a little awkward to turn, and I dislike portrait mode anyway. It works great on my Acer A500 too. It does do a lot, I agree. A very fine and useful app.

I think the OP took a hike. :confused:

Last edited: