Factory reset for MID 7-inch tablet

wmmiller

Sep 22, 2012
I just received a tablet as a promotional reward for sitting through a sales presentation. I was setting it up and installed the power widget on my home screen, but when I hit the display settings button on the widget, the screen went blank. I thought it had crashed, so I rebooted. It boots fine, but as soon as the boot animation finishes, the screen goes blank again. I'm guessing that the power widget turned the screen brightness to "off" and it's now stuck that way. (It does seem to be working normally, except for the display -- if I manage to blindly unlock it after rebooting, the volume buttons beep as expected, and inserting a thumb drive into the USB dongle does a media scan, judging from the blinking LED on the thumb drive.) I'd like to do a factory reset, but none of the button combinations with the power button seems to put the device into recovery mode. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions about how to remedy this situation.

Here's what I know about the tablet. It's a 7-incher with a resistive touch screen, came in a MID box, and it appears to most closely resemble the photo identified as an SV27A in the minimal manual that came with it. I took a photo of the device info screen before the display problems, with the following info:

Model number: m7131
Android version: 2.3.3
Kernel version: 2.6.37.7-infoTM / yyf@stzl #201
Build number: GRI40

The initial boot screen displays 2.3.0.1(T) in the lower right corner when I power the unit on.

It has a power button, a menu button, volume up and down buttons, and a "back" button. It does not have a micro USB connector, but does have a slot for a microSD card and a dongle with two full-size USB slots for thumb drives and an RJ-45 ethernet socket. It has a "reset" button behind a pinhole, but as far as I can tell, all it does is turn the power off.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!