Factory Restore - Coby Tablet MID7015

HWJ

Dec 30, 2010
I was wondering if there was a way to factory restore the MID7015.
I followed the guides to root the device but I am not really seeing any benefits and its slower then before.
Tried applying the update from the coby website but it failed.

Hopefully someone here has an idea.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
PERFORMING A FACTORY RESET

WARNING - THIS WILL DELETE ANY CHANGES YOU HAVE MADE TO THE DEVICE. IT WILL BE LIKE YOU JUST TOOK IT OUT OF THE BOX.

1. First we will delete all user data on the device. To do this, go to Settings from the home screen. Click on "Privacy" and then click on "Factory Data Reset." Go through the data reset process. This will remove all personal data from the device.

2. Now you need to enter the recovery console. To do this, hold both the silver return button on the front of the tablet AND the
power button until you see the green Android robot standing next to a warning triangle. When you see these logos, let go of both buttons.

3. Press the silver return button by itself. The recovery menu should appear. To navigate the recovery menu, you use the
home and menu buttons on the tablet. Home scrolls up and menu scrolls down.

4. Use the menu button to scroll down to "wipe data/factory reset." Use the silver return button to select this option. Another screen will appear. Use the menu button to scroll down to "yes -- delete all user data" and press the silver return button to select this option. The device will wipe the data and then it will return to the main recovery screen.

5. When it returns to the main recovery screen, "reboot system now" should be the option selected. Use the silver return button to select this option. The tablet will reboot.

That's it! This should return everything to an unmodified state and should allow you to "start over" if you have had a lot of trouble with this process.

Hope this helps,
Josh

zukgod1

Feb 17, 2011
Hi there Newbie here.

My daughter owns a Colby Kyros and has forgotten the code to unlock it, the part where you swype over the dots to unlock it.
I figured this was an easy fix as I would just do a master reset however it will not go past the UNLOCK SEQUENCE.
Any suggestions?

Once unlocked I'm going to root it so we can really use it..

Thank you for your help.

alimag

Feb 15, 2011
Yes...it is a full reset back its original state.

Hi,

Sorry to contradict you but it wont. You will never get to the Android robot standing next to a warning triangle but instead to the Clockwork recovery mode menu. I just tried it again for the xxx time and same result. As far as I can see, there is no way to get rid of the Clockwork mode once installed.

Cheers

yoop

Dec 13, 2010
Hi,

Sorry to contradict you but it wont. You will never get to the Android robot standing next to a warning triangle but instead to the Clockwork recovery mode menu. I just tried it again for the xxx time and same result. As far as I can see, there is no way to get rid of the Clockwork mode once installed.

Cheers

It's definitely possible to remove clockworkmod recovery. I've done it accidentally about three different times now. Go to the 2nd option under item #1 in this post: xda-developers - View Single Post - Coby Kyros 7015 - Getting the Most Out of Eclair (Android 2.1) That is a link to the modified update.zip of the most recent Coby update. It has been modified to work with clockworkmod recovery, but once you install that zip it will replace clockworkmod with the standard recovery. I would say that this is currently the easiest way to get your Coby tablet back to stock. All it takes is:

1) Delete all files in your /nand partition using a file manager.
2) Download the modified update.zip and put it on your sdcard.
2) Reboot into clockworkmod recovery.
3) Do a wipe data/factory reset in clockworkmod.
4) Install the modified update.zip through clockworkmod.
5) Remember to remove your sdcard before returning the tablet to the store. :)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2011
i have the coby pad thing and i did what you said but when i hold the silver button and the power it just goes to the screen to shut it down i think my kids messed with something and turned it off do know how to fix that

kerry_s

Mar 17, 2011
you got to hold that when powering on, the device needs to be off. don't let go till the recovery menu comes up.

if you have the terminal & root you can just type:
su
reboot recovery

from a running system.

there is also a app called quick boot, that makes it easy to select options.
the free version is what i use.

Orutanga

Aug 4, 2011
Could someone possibly point me how to do this when I have accidently enabled the fastboot on this. I am so bummed right now.

promek1

Feb 25, 2011
when fastboot comes on press reset button on back. Also to go into clockwork hold power and silver button at the same time

MrDos

Aug 23, 2011
My menu button and back button (silver orb) stopped working all of a sudden.
Is there any way to do this without the back button working?

MrDos

Aug 23, 2011
My menu button and back button (silver orb) stopped working all of a sudden.
Is there any way to do this without the back button working?

Somehow I got my back button working again.
I can get into recovery now.
However, the menu button is not working so I can't go down the list to select the update.

Last edited: