Factory Video App

Hmladner21

Jun 21, 2017
I have mp4. Files on the 10.1 android tablet 6.0 os. But when I open the video app it doesn't see the files. I have to use es explorer. When i find the file it uses a video app to open it .. how do i add the videos to the factory app to avoid having to explore for it?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You don't, as the built-in video app likely doesn't support mp4. Install VLC and use it to watch your mp4 videos.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Here's your options.

1. Use VLC instead of the built-in app.
2. See if there is an update for the built-in app that supports mp4.
3. Convert your videos to a format the video app supports. (Mentioned in post 3.)

Hmladner21

Jun 21, 2017
Ok,
I have a 10.1 Android tablet, that was purchased as an in dash stereo. The icons at the bottom of the screen are locked in place which include Navi, music, video, BT, Radio etc

The video app is useless as it doesn't play MP4. and the music app is useless as it doesn't find music throughout the system . I've downloaded VLC as the replacement video app as well as a music player and want to replace the locked applications on the home page that are from the factory. Any how to's? I assume it has to be rooted etc.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Apparently your tablet manufacturer customized the AOSP launcher to place those apps in the dock. That is why you can't change them. However, you can change the launcher. Install Nova Launcher from the Play Store and set it as your default launcher. Then change the dock icons to fit your preferences. No root required, and Nova Launcher supports icon packs, meaning you can also change the look of the icons.

NOTE: If Nova Launcher doesn't work due to this being a tablet, there are plenty of other launchers on the Play Store. Keep trying them until you find one that works.