Few basic newbie questions.

SonyPowered

Aug 23, 2012
Proud new owner of a Tablet S here. Got it at a good deal (compared to not too long ago anyways).

The 16GB model is the one I got, and while I know that the advertised space is never the actual space that you will get, losing near 20% of the advertised space is a bit in the high end? It shows that I have 13GB (rounded up) total space - about 4GB internal, and about 9GB "usb storage".

Which brings me to the next question. What exactly is "usb storage"? I do not have a SD card put in yet, so obviously it is part of the internal storage. Why have a separate chunk/partition of the space instead of just having one (simple) whole partition for the internal storage?

Also, it seems the default screen position for a lot of the apps make it so you have to hold the tablet (the "meat" end of it) with your right hand, which cannot be rotated so I can hold it with my left hand without the screen being upside down. Is there a way to change that?

Last but not least, I am having issues playing videos on my (Sony) TV via the Tablet S. It would play maybe the first 3-5 seconds smoothly at most, then the picture would freeze... it plays fine on the tablet itself. I used the default "Video player" app that came with the tablet, I don't know if there are better apps for playing videos on Sony TVs via the Tablet S (haven't found any).

Pictures display fine on the TV via the tablet (with the default "Gallery" app).

Last edited:

SonyPowered

Aug 23, 2012
Just bumping my own 6 month old thread. All of my concerns remain unanswered, just hoping someone knowledgeable with the Sony Tablet S will catch the thread this time around. Also, now the Tablet S no longer displays any pictures to the Sony Bravia TV. It seems that the option has disappeared from the default "Gallery" app.

Two of the major features (for me) that this tablet had was the ability to link to Sony Bravia TVs, such as the ability to instantaneously display whatever pictures or videos stored on the tablet to the Sony TVs, but those features seem to be removed and/or no longer working.

This is not a cheap product that should have anything advertised to it be no longer functional.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm sorry you waited for so long and still don't have an answer. I hope you don't wait another six months before someone can help, but based on what you're saying has happened my thought is that you might consider a full factory reset. I know that's harsh but an app you installed may have left some trash floating around somewhere that's keeping it from working correctly. Honestly between you and me I wouldn't use the default gallery app, I would use something like QuickPic for all your photos. And something like an MX Player for your videos. Hope someone comes along with more information for you.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That sounds about right for the storage. First off the drive maker uses base 10 and the is will report in base 2 so you will lose a big chunk right there. Then Android takes up 3-4GB.

As for the partitioning that is also standard for Android. Usually the OS and system get some then whatever is left the user gets as free space or "USB space" in this case.

JP

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Tapatalk HD