file sharing

kevings178

Sep 2, 2011
hi can anyone tell me how to share files beewteen my android tab and my nas i can allready share vids/music/photos but if possible i want to be able to open pdf/word documents that i have stored on the nas my tab is a liberty tab which realy is packard bells version of the acer iconia it is running android 3.2.1

many thanks in antisipation
Kevin:confused:

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Just THIS.

All the other suggestions get you nowhere without a file manager.
Not true, the files you put in your dropbox on your computer come into your tablets dropbox and you merely open dropbox and open the file.
And with dropbox you know exactly where it is.
I use it all the time to share files between my computers and tablets.
Although I do agree that a file manages is necessary to manage and find other files you download directly.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Dropbox is not the ideal solution in this case. Great if you have files you want to sync on multiple devices in the cloud, but if you already have NAS then it doesn't make sense (unless you want access from the cloud for other reasons). A file explorer like ES with the ability to recognize NAS is all you need.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Not true, the files you put in your dropbox on your computer come into your tablets dropbox and you merely open dropbox and open the file.
And with dropbox you know exactly where it is.
I use it all the time to share files between my computers and tablets.
Although I do agree that a file manages is necessary to manage and find other files you download directly.
My experience - you'll still need a file manager of some kind. Dropbox may easy but too global for my liking - especially if you've got your own NAS which you don't want in the cloud.

+1 to Icebike and J515

Last edited:

frostystones

Feb 6, 2012
this thread isn't that old, so I'm going to just post here since the search feature brought me here. Having the same problem, using es file manager, I can access some folders on my computer through my iconia A500 and others are locked (Don't have Permission) even though I've shared every folder in the one directory i want shared. been at it an hour, I have to give up for now. any ideas would be great. thanks

bass_gas

Feb 7, 2012
I also have ES File Explorer. Sees the network but tells me that login failed even though I have folders SHARED with Everyone on the Win7 PC.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I also have ES File Explorer. Sees the network but tells me that login failed even though I have folders SHARED with Everyone on the Win7 PC.

Don't share with everyone. EVER. PERIOD. Just never do that.

Share with a password.
When you set up your share on the phone be sure you give it that user's name and password of an
account on the win 7 machine. Don't rely on it being shared with "everyone". Always provide full login credentials.

If you want to share selected directories with other people give them an account on your windows machine, and then share
those directories with them specifically and specify which access rights they have.

Be sure you know your Windows 7 IP address. It gets around a lot of problems.

For the record, I have no problem accessing shares on my win7 machine, my Linux machines, or even Virtual Machines.
My Win7 is Win 7 Ultimate.

Also, Avoid use of Homegroup sharing and use regular old Windows shares on the Computer.
Homegroup is some Basterdized version of file sharing that only works on windows to windows connections.

Also read THIS LINK for other settings you may need to do on the computer. Just because you give access rights to a directory doesn't mean you automatically gave access rights to
everything IN that directory. Windows 7 has much finer grained permissions than some other versions of windows.

This is not a problem with es file explorer, its a problem with Windows 7's peculiarities of sharing.
Google "Windows 7 file sharing problems". Sharing works great between windows 7 machines, but even
windows XP has trouble accessing win7 shares.

Last edited: