File Sync app for Android 3.1?

Kalifi

Sep 10, 2011
Hi,

I just got my first tablet, the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet, and I am trying to find a good application for syncing files between my PC and my tablet. I would like it to happen using Windows-fileshares, but a cloud-service is ok too.

I have tried a few apps already, but none of them did the job I need them to do. Heres a list of them and reasons why they didn't work.

WiFi Syncr:
  • Can only transfer files one way. Need it to go from PC to Tablet and Tablet to PC.

PCFileSync:
  • Transfer worked two-way, but the software didn't understand when files were deleted from one source. Would like it to work like Synkron for PC does. It makes an index of files so it knows when a file is deleted and then it deletes it from both locations.

SugarSync:
  • Otherwise a nice system, but I am not willing to pay a monthly fee just to keep files in sync between two devices. A one time fee is acceptable, but free is always preferred.

Syncess:
  • This seemed like a good alternative, but it doesn't seem to work with 3.1 and there is no certaintity if even this can handle deleted files.

Last option I was wondering is to root my device, installa Samba server on it and then just use Synkron on my desktop to keep files in shape. But I don't know how to root this tablet. And I don't know if it is a good idea to do.

Suggestions and discussion is welcome, thanks.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Try google docs, allows more than docs. Also, SugarSync is free, why pay for it?

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Android Tablet Forum

willpowell8

Sep 10, 2011
This is where I am trying to go. I am trying to create aShare which is a way of sharing file to and from tablets and mobile phone. A desktop client for mac, windows and linux is in the works. We are about using the local connection so there is no upload and download of every file. Please let me know with a PM if there are any other requirements you are after as it would help my app development. The app is free and available here https://market.android.com/details?id=air.com.willpowell.aShare&feature=search_result

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
I also use Drop Box and DTG together. If a file already exists on Drop Box and you update and upload using DTG, a suffix is added. Updating thru Drop Box means no suffix. Since I use mine off line, I delete the Drop Box file first before uploading the file with DTG. I lost 3 how of work once whilst updating a Drop Box file several times off line.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum