Finally had enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

obiwan22

Aug 9, 2010
SO LONG

FARWELL!!!

I didn't think this day would come this soon.
tongue.gif

But Im off!

I had a good time here rooting/hacking my archos tablet.
I made some friends and managed to create an awesome wiki!
I originally bought the gentouch to learn how to adb/root so that one day I can get a better android tablet and use my knowledge to hack it.

But Ill miss all you guys and stay strong. The augen looks like a promising device.

Someone needs to run the wiki now that Im gone.

So my Augen goes back to KMART on the weekend!

Bestbuy had a new sale this week on the archos 5 16gb.

Archos - 5 16GB* Internet Media Tablet - Black - 501313

For $80 more you get:
microphone-skype
usb keyboard/mouse support
usb external mass storage units
open gl-runs most 3d games
market hack
root hack
GPS built in and free activation
volume control-buttons on device
KICKSTAND!!!!
BLUETOOTH!!!!!

and pretty much everything you can get on the gentouch you can get on the archos 5!

anyone joining me?

obiwan22

Aug 9, 2010
the archos 5 16gb isnt all that bad!

I bought it for $230 at bestbuy and had a 10% off coupon.

I found that the accelerometer works great!
The bluetooh works flawless!
The internet speed is 5x faster
The whole gui is 10x faster
I got the whole thing rooted with market
The screen has a better contrast ratio
it has 16 gb of memory inside!
The gps actually works okay!
It has a microphone and voip calls are made easy
all the same programs as gentouch

downside(for now)
no youtube app

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
Let us know if they ever get froyo running on it. I looked through that thread briefly on the archosfans forums that I linked for you in your slatedroid thread... Of course it's faster, it's running an older version of Android(1.6) AND it has a TI OMAP3440 SoC which has a Cortex-A8 CPU core... those are roughly(up to) twice the speed of a comparitively clocked ARM11 based CPU like what we have in the TCC8902... Yep, and a GPS would've been nice to have as well, but if I dump the GT, I'm going for an A81-E ATM unless something better comes along... still holding out ATM for more Augen support as they posted a "fix" for the accelerometer in their reader...

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
So I take it you didn't get Rotate D working..lmao...

i'll prob get a higher end tablet when they start rollingout.. but i feel the archos is ok... but the 5" screen and android 1.6 is going to limit it...

best buy will drop a hum dinger of one on black fri i think.. they have one in development.. keeping my fingers crossed at least...

Fare the well fellow Augen-ite.... go forth and plunder the kingdom of Archos... :D

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Oh man not you too! Shoot! Why? Your so into the Gentouch78 like me well almost? LOL! So you're happen with the 5" 1.6 firmware I got that in my Gome Flytouch! I got two tablets and I'll get a 3rd but I am waiting to see what comes out dirt cheap down the line hopefully a bargain 10.1".

obiwan22

Aug 9, 2010
Oh man not you too! Shoot! Why? Your so into the Gentouch78 like me well almost? LOL! So you're happen with the 5" 1.6 firmware I got that in my Gome Flytouch! I got two tablets and I'll get a 3rd but I am waiting to see what comes out dirt cheap down the line hopefully a bargain 10.1".
you talking to me?

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
Hang onto your receipt obiwan, Archos has a PR event on 8/30 (Monday) in Paris. Speculation is announce of their Generation 8 tablets:

OMAP3640, Android 2.1-.2, 3D acceleration, 3in. - 10in., $100-$350 Might be interested in the 5in. or 7in. myself IF they are at rumoured pricings....

Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Gen 8 IT

The 10in. is rumoured to possibly have a dual Pixel Qi screen, which means color LCD/eInk(alike) -> GREAT reader and awesome battery life while reading IF true... but, personally, I don't want a 10in. tablet, which is notebook size for me. e.g. 10+in. notebook, 7-8in. for tablet/reader, and 3-5in. for PDA/handheld console. fixing my inch symbols to text abbrev...

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The Archos 5 is pretty much an abandoned product. If you just wait till next month, you will be crying with that tablet, especially with the $80 price difference. At 5", it just wont be the same.

Great work on the wiki. You have been an excellent resource to the community.

See you around!

silicaroach

Aug 25, 2010
What version of Android is it running? I saw the Archos 7 Home Tablet for 199CAN and gave it a pass as it runs Android 1.5 which really made it a sucky experience. Plus the Archos 7 has a resistive screen as well so if that's a factor there's no advantage. I'm inclined to wait just a bit longer.

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
What version of Android is it running? I saw the Archos 7 Home Tablet for 199CAN and gave it a pass as it runs Android 1.5 which really made it a sucky experience. Plus the Archos 7 has a resistive screen as well so if that's a factor there's no advantage. I'm inclined to wait just a bit longer.

The current 5IT is running 1.6, but people centered around archosfans forum(apparently) are working on froyo(2.2)...

The new ones supposedly being announced at tomorrow's PR event will be running 2.1 - 2.2 and the new 5in. is supposed to be c. $200 and the new 7in. c. $250...

obiwan22

Aug 9, 2010
The current 5IT is running 1.6, but people centered around archosfans forum(apparently) are working on froyo(2.2)...

The new ones supposedly being announced at tomorrow's PR event will be running 2.1 - 2.2 and the new 5in. is supposed to be c. $200 and the new 7in. c. $250...

hey I still have my receipt

obiwan22

Aug 9, 2010
lol im bragging. for people who still own the augen, you guys are still waiting for some hope, I understand that but there are much better devices out there you can buy for a little more that are 10x better.

For example, I get 3 more hours of the archos comapred to augen
bluetooth is very very handy
GPS works extremely well

boo hoo, so what if archos runs 1.6, archos might release a update to eclair soon(2.2) for froyo will get ported by development in a month......

I find that the archos software and hardware wise beats the augen right in the butt!

Aug 8, 2010
I guess the title says it all. I got the GenT updated, rooted, and everything else at it was still one big POS. I returned it to Kmart today and got my money back. The lady at the service desk said that she has seen several of them returned. After I got everything, including Android Market, working, it worked fine for about 2 days. Then daily, I was having to do a factory reset. After the 3rd reset, I'd had enough.

So, my hunt for a good tablet continues.......

Status
Not open for further replies.