Firefox for Android, Plume and ASTRO Get Major Updates

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
By Rajesh Pandey on August 29th, 2012

Over the last 24 hours, quite a few popular Android apps have received major updates. Firstly, Mozilla has released a major update for the tablet edition of Firefox browser, aimed at improving the speed and overall fit and finish of the browser. The speed enhancements in the latest version is visible right from the reduced start-up time to the reduced loading and navigating web pages time.

firefox_logo.png
The latest version also brings robust support for HTML5 capabilities allowing developers to create rich web apps based on HTML5, CSS, JavaScript and other open Web standards. The tablet version of the browser also supports Flash on devices that are running Honeycomb.

Second in the list is LevelUp Studio’s popular Twitter client, Plume. The application recently got a major new UI refresh with a Holo based theme, but LevelUp Studio has further tweaked the UI of the app in the latest update. The latest update brings a new fly-in menu, some layout optimisations for the Nexus 7, and a much faster performance overall. Slowly and steadily, Plume has become the go-to Twitter client in the Android ecosystem.

Astro.jpeg

Last, but not the least is a popular File Manager app for Android, ASTRO.The application has been updated after ages from its developers, Metago, and now features a drop-dead gorgeous UI. As of now, the latest version is only for Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean users, but the developer has promised to release the new update for older versions of Android as well.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Wow! I love Firefox on my PC, but I avoided getting it for my tablet because of lots of negative comments about it, but because of your post, Spider, I gave it a try and I really, really like it! It's faster than Dolphin even. What I'm really impressed about at the moment though, is I have a blog I go to more than once a day to read the new posts and some time ago the webmaster did some changes and since then I was unable to pinch and zoom, and the text is pretty small because of stuff on the right and left borders of the page, leaving less room for the posts. Both the default browser and Dolphin wouldn't zoom. It's been annoying to read lately. But I went to the site with Firefox just now and it will allow pinch and zoom! Just for that fact alone, even if it wasn't faster, I would keep it. So far I like most things about it. I can find a setting to set it to desktop view though, don't like that. There isn't a lot of settings to change. It's a keeper for me though!