first tablet. not first android.

daveinthesand

Dec 29, 2011
Recieved my Acer Iconia A500 tab as a regift for Christmas. It's pretty cool. It has been "modified" and is now an A501. 3.2 os which is cool too but all memory, internal and external is now emulated. I can't move apps to external. Hope I can find a solution on this forum.

daveinthesand

Dec 29, 2011
Hi Peter. I do have that app. It won't let me move apps. Message on sd display reads something like memory emulated or no live memory. Something like that.

daveinthesand

Dec 29, 2011
To follow up. the exact wording is "The device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated. Moving app to sd funtion may not be supported by this device. This is from the app2sd app.

daveinthesand

Dec 29, 2011
Well thats not acceptable. All that new tech and can't use sd for what its for. Is there a solution? Or do I just have to live with it?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
can't use sd for what its for. Is there a solution? Or do I just have to live with it?

For most people, "what it's for" is storing large amounts of "data" like document, books, videos, movies etc. that would quickly overwhelm the internal memory. The apps have to be in the internal memory to run, just like PC programs. However the data they use can be in external storage, again just like data on a PC. Typically, an app itself is quite small and you can get an awful lot of them into a GB of storage. I've got about 100 apps on my Nook and they barely made a dent in my storage. If/when I ever try to install an app and get a message that I'm out of storage, I'll delete some of the apps I don't use (about 90 candidates) and make room for the new one. For now, there's no solution. I may be wrong if I'm not a typical user, but I don't think you'll find living with it all that difficult.

Last edited: