First tablet(s) purchase. Requesting input/opinion on models

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
As we approach our 50th anniversary. This elderly couple is (again) looking to buy a tablet for the first time. Earlier this year, we asked questions on here and started looking but that fell apart due to health issues so now here we are again but this time more serious. Should also note, we plan to buy 2 as gifts to each other.
First, what will we use them for? Heck, we're old folks. :p Mostly surfing the web, emailing, watching video/shows/movies on Netflix or Hulu when we travel, we both like to read and are amazon prime members, we also want to be able to skype with family overseas. And lastly, games. we like words with friends and other games out there just like anyone.

So, here are the models we've looked at/narrowed down on our list. If anyone has time, I'd appreciate breaking down any or all of our choices. We did not understand all this computer talk out there until we started reading and asking questions. Example: we saw one system that had a operating system of 3.2 and then we learned we wanted something that was 4.0, 4.1, 4.2. Now we really read the specs. Also, we see the term rooting. We're not interested in this. Just want a great system that we can enjoy daily.

OK, in no particular order: (all big screen tablets too...no 7")

XPS 10
Latitude tablet
Surface RT
Asus TF300, TF700, TF210
Samsung 10" tablets
Ipad 2
Acer 10" tablets

That's it gang. One last note, we use to have Iphones and used their app store, then got an android and used Google play, is the Microsoft app store as good as those 2?

If I have left anything out, please message me and I'll reply soonest. Once again, thank you for any/all help you may give to us

Melanie:cool:

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
My wife and I are still 3 years from our 50th, but we married young, so we aren't 'elderly' yet. We are both on our 2nd tablets, which we use pretty much like you describe. Hers is a Nexus 7 and mine is an Asus TF700 (with keyboard dock). We like them both. Our 1st tablets were Acers (A500 & A100), which died after about a year. They were OK, but our new tablets are much faster, brighter, thinner and lighter. I wouldn't buy a tablet now with less than Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) on it. Another tablet you might add to your list is the Nexus 10. It is a solid device with the latest OS. I also have a Lenovo A2109 (9" screen), which I like for reading and some games.

If you have Android phones and like Google Play, I would go with an Android tablet. Microsoft has far fewer apps available for RT. As Amazon Prime members you should also be looking at the Amazon AppStore. The Free App of the Day (FAOTD) provides some useful tools and many interesting games for free.

Last edited:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi, folks. Welcome back to the Forum. Sorry to hear about your health issues, but glad to know your more determined than ever to get yourselves a pair of his and her tablets. As Amazon Prime members, you may want to consider the company's new, soon to be launched :

8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD device, which will likely offer even better internal specifications than Google’s Nexus 7 tablet.
Admittedly, this device is just short of 10-inches, but it will feature a display with a resolution of 2560 x 1600, outstripping the displays of both the updated Nexus 7, and Apple’s iPad with Retina display. At that resolution, this updated Kindle Fire HD 8.9 would even sport more pixels on its screen than most mid-range laptops.

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
Hi, folks. Welcome back to the Forum. Sorry to hear about your health issues, but glad to know your more determined than ever to get yourselves a pair of his and her tablets. As Amazon Prime members, you may want to consider the company's new, soon to be launched :

8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD device, which will likely offer even better internal specifications than Google’s Nexus 7 tablet.
Admittedly, this device is just short of 10-inches, but it will feature a display with a resolution of 2560 x 1600, outstripping the displays of both the updated Nexus 7, and Apple’s iPad with Retina display. At that resolution, this updated Kindle Fire HD 8.9 would even sport more pixels on its screen than most mid-range laptops.

When is it due for release?

And thank you both for your replies. We married a little more than "young". I'm 92 and my spouse is 89

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
Conrad,

Acer made us an offer on their 7.9" A1 since we were buying 2 units. (10% off coupon and 50% off accessories)
I was checking Dell outlet and their XPS tablets but Dell tech support isn't the most helpful. It was like talking with a robot when I asked questions. We may ask silly questions but we ask anyway because we're trying to learn and I assume Dell and Microsoft (RT surface) don't understand that.

Asus and Acer were very helpful. Nexus people would answer quickly as if they were trying to rush us.

So, we have resulted to asking questions here from you good people. Samsung has nice ones, we saw at Costco. And Ipads are nice but it seems everyone like Androids more.

Not a easy task, making our first tablet purchase.

Melanie

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
Definitely, not soon enough for you two lovebirds, I guess. But, I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards.
Ed

Please let me know as soon as you hear. We're looking every day for that "right deal" and will buy immediately when we see it. I know we could have the Ipad on the Apple store outlet for the price of $319 but for some reason we are having trouble pulling the trigger on it. Something holding us back and not sure what. Kindle gets great reviews and we thought about buying the 8.9 but if they have a new one coming, we can either buy that one or better still, buy a lower priced 8.9

Melanie

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Seriously for a first tablet you want something that just works with as small of a learning curve as possible and good content access. This may not seem to narrow it down much but you can't go wrong with an iPad or a Kindle Fire. New devices come out all the time so I wouldn't be overly concerned about what is around the corner. The new Nexus 7 is absolutely amazing but if too small the Nexus 10 is reasonably priced and has one of the best displays on the market. All three of these choices are good and each is backed by a Market controlled by the particular manufacturer.

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Holding a tablet for an extended period of time is an issue. The 10" tablets have nice size screens, however, holding if for say like 30 minutes, it becomes heavy. The 7-8" sizes are easier to handle.