Five Apps to Convert Video to Support Mobile Devices

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
by Brien M. Posey MCSE | June 3, 2013, 11:49am PDT | Image 1 of 19

Previous Next

Free CUDA Video Converter 1

This gallery is also available as a post in the TechRepublic Five Apps Blog.

The proliferation of mobile devices has driven the demand for portable video. Unfortunately, not every device can play every video format. Thankfully, there are a number of utilities available that can convert video from its native format into a format that is supported by the device on which a user wants to play the video.

Credit: Images by Brien Posey for TechRepublic

Pat Cook AKA Bach Patu

Sep 25, 2014
What I did was simply download Format Factory (PC application) & create a custom profile matching the EXACT dimensions of my SKYTEX SP1020 (1024x576 16:9 HD) & use that to convert videos to store on my tablet

Once completed, all I have to do is transfer them over to my tablet. No additional work needed :)

Just my $.02 worth.....

Cheers :)

Pat

BTW Spider - Graphics are coming back broken << == FYI

emma24xia

Dec 1, 2014
Great article, that helps a lot. But I know iPad is not compatible with video converting, and usually I convert my video clips in MXF format using Pavtube Ultimate application to iPhone acceptable MP4 before transferring to iPhone.

TinderboxUK

May 28, 2012
My favourite free app for converting video is called Handbrake (Windows) it has many options and can compress video to an small size while still having great quality, but it does not handle batch files very well.

There is an free app called THandBrake that acts as an GUI for Handbrake and makes batch conversions very easy.

When doing an conversion i use H.264 MP4 format and a video bitrate of 380kbps, I use 640x360 resolution but do an 2-pass encoding to keep the best quality.

I usually watch Anime, each episode is 24minutes long approx, I can compress them down to between 80-90mb per episode which is great because i can store a lot on my 64gb microsd.

I am now using another not free program with an resolution of 512x288 and an bitrate of only 114kbps with variable 64-118kbps audio, and it gives me an 32mb file size, but i need to use 3-pass encoding which takes approx 10-15minutes on my notebook.

I have tried virtually all paid and unpaid video compressor software, and the majority of them don't give accesses to the number of passes being 1, 2, or 3 and only allow you to adjust the video bitrate which means you have to use an high bitrate to get good quality but the file sizes are large, if you use multi-pass encoding you can use an low bitrate and they look good and the file size is small or tiny if i use 3-pass.

I have done tests conversion at various resolution at 768x432 , 640x360 and 512x288 , of the same video on my Samsung Tab S 10.5" it has an native resolution of 2560x1600.

How low an resolution you are willing to accept is a personal preference that you have to decide, I have 481 24min video files on my 64gb microsd and i have still 8gb free, most of them are between 90mb to 110mb , so if i could get them down to 32mb each i could fit a lot more. :)

If you have any question i am happy to answer them, pm me if you dont get an response within a day or two.

John.