Fixing my tablet

jadeddragon

Feb 17, 2013
Hi,

I have a Coby Kyros MID 9740 tablet. I got screwed on buying cause I didn't do my research. Now it turns off randomly. I've done factory restores and it helps it a little bit. So I got my hands on a rooting program (can't remember the name of it) so it's rooted successfully.

Basically I need help with possibly putting a new os. my main goal is to get this tablet to run google apps. I'm not very knowledgeable in these things, so if you can help guide me through it through steps. And I won't be offended if you dumb is down lol.

Please help me I would like to get the full experiance on this "crap tablet"

Thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Did you look in Coby Generation 3 for rooting instructions and instructions on installing the Google apps on your tablet? Please note that the only root method we support in Generation 3 land is in the sticky posts in the Development sub-forum. Other root methods, like LiveSuite, have caused irreparable harm to Coby tablets and thus aren't recommended.

jadeddragon

Feb 17, 2013
I have seen some instructions on that but I get confused with the terms and what to day. I was hoping someone could do a rooting and replacing os for dummies lol

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
To be blunt, the instructions are as simple as possible. If they were any simpler I'd be doing the work for you.

It's in situations like this where I tell people that if they don't understand what's going on, they shouldn't attempt to root. Rooting is not a trivial matter and you can render your tablet permanently inoperative if something goes wrong. In your case, installing the Amazon Appstore - which doesn't require root - might be a better option as there is nothing special you need to do to install it.

RiyoRitsu

May 31, 2013
you just want to have google play on your tablet? i suggest you download the apk file. i dont think you have to root your tablet

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You also need the Google Services Framework for the Play Store to work at all, and you cannot install it. It must be in /system/app. Even then, there is an issue of compatibility. Unless the build.prop is modified to reflect a different device and some XML files added to /etc/permissions, half the apps you want won't be available.

The good news is that the 9740 is fairly close in design to the 9742, and my tweaks for the 9742 will work on the 9740 with some modification.