Flakey Battery Charge indications

Scooter74

Oct 29, 2011
Ok I've had this 7022-4g about a month now. Battery life stinks no matter what I do. The only way to keep a charge is to turn it completely off regardless of whether or not I turn off WIFI. I have the app for advance wifi control and it did seem to stop some but not all of the waking up from suspend mode. Auto off for WIFI is on.

Actual use time is generally less than an hour if I use any WIFI connection (My wireless router is never more than 30 feet from where I am using the tablet and signal strength is alway good to excellent.

Is this pretty much the norm for these things? I can go in to running services and turn off the book reader pgm that keeps lauching in the background and a few others but it seems to be pretty wimpy in terms of battery life at around an hour. Especially since most of my web browsing is text and photos and rarely any video links.

I did purchase the service plan when i bought it from ToysRUs but would like to avoid that unless it is likely that this is a bad unit. They already replaced the first unit within the first 4 days I had it so they didn't record that as a use of the service plan. IF I use this service plan I will try to push for a replacement with something other than the COBY.

Overall it's a nice low-end tablet but very weak if battery liife of 1-2 hours is the norm.

Suggestions?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I don't think 1-2h is normal for average usage, but I don't own a 7022 so I can't tell for sure. Actaully Coby added a bigger battery to 7127, which would be a "next generation" 7022. I would do a "factory reset" or system wipe and test. I like JuicePlotter for monitoring battery usage. Install one app at a time to test, so you can find the culprit. Avoid anything that uses CPU in the background, like LiveWallpapers.

Just for reference, my MID1024 with Froyo wouldn't last 4h of normal usage with a full charge. After upgrading it to Gingerbread I can use it for about 6h of normal use if screen brightness is 50% or less, and it can stay in stand by mode for more than 24h.

Scooter74

Oct 29, 2011
Thanks - Yeah I will turn off the live wallpaper.

Also one other wacky issue. Several times I have opened the battery status (Under "Spare Parts" and watched the power level drop 3 percent in about 2 minutes. Yet 2 other times I watched as the battery level went UP 3 percent in about 2 minutes and the thing wasn't on the charger.

One other question - Does the unit have the abililty to charge while on USB connection? It doesn't appears so from my tests but thought I'd check with others.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I saw battery going up in mine too using JouicePlotter, just a few percents for I guess it's related to CPU usage and not important.

No, you cannot charge via USB but there is a hack in the acessories section about using a cable from a USB charger to go in the built-in 5V input connector that does the same in the end...

Cobytab

Dec 7, 2011
I cannot find in accessories; can you be more exact?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Tablet Forum

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
Ok I've had this 7022-4g about a month now. Battery life stinks no matter what I do. The only way to keep a charge is to turn it completely off regardless of whether or not I turn off WIFI. I have the app for advance wifi control and it did seem to stop some but not all of the waking up from suspend mode. Auto off for WIFI is on.

Actual use time is generally less than an hour if I use any WIFI connection (My wireless router is never more than 30 feet from where I am using the tablet and signal strength is alway good to excellent.

Is this pretty much the norm for these things? I can go in to running services and turn off the book reader pgm that keeps lauching in the background and a few others but it seems to be pretty wimpy in terms of battery life at around an hour. Especially since most of my web browsing is text and photos and rarely any video links.

I did purchase the service plan when i bought it from ToysRUs but would like to avoid that unless it is likely that this is a bad unit. They already replaced the first unit within the first 4 days I had it so they didn't record that as a use of the service plan. IF I use this service plan I will try to push for a replacement with something other than the COBY.

Overall it's a nice low-end tablet but very weak if battery liife of 1-2 hours is the norm.

Suggestions?

If you're up for rooting the tablet several people have found that removing phone.apk (and a few other files) improves battery life. Basically the tablet is trying to connect to a cellphone network (even though it doesn't have the right hardware) can't so it burns battery trying to boost the signal level... Or at least that's the theory.

Huh, you're participating in the thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...cessories/21929-usb-charger-3.html#post157062

PS: it works only for 5V powered tablets, like 7022. Won't work for 7024/8024/1024 and other models that require different voltage. Also, always check the current needed (A or mA) and use a charger with same value or higher).

Off USB power (except an iPad charger or powered hub) you're looking at 2-4 times longer to fully charge a 7022.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
I renamed my phone.apk to .apk.old and the only thing that has taken up battery since is display, wifi, and device idle. Now if coby would release a damn firmware update then wifi could actually be turned off after 15 minutes without having screen wake issues.