Flash again.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
I've used the search and can't find a direct answer specific for the 7024. I had to look up the processor:
Samsung S5PV210 (Cortex A8)

Will this use flash? And where can I find the apk?

I see that Google is planning on Chrome for Android - will Chrome be able to run on the 7024?

I have Market and Gmail running thanks to this forum. With the playoffs and WS coming up, I just like to check a few of the videos on ESPN, or other sports. I normally don't bother with videos except a few Youtube.

What was strange - I checked MLB, none of the video highlights would play, but an interview with Leyland of the Tigers did play.

I like this tablet. Even the resistive screen. It's sensitive enough to use a finger on.
I haven't rooted, and might not unless that is the only way to get rid of some stock apps like Aldiko. Aldiko won't import any books. I read a lot of Gutenberg and Creative Commons. They are epub, but not connected with a seller.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
1. Yes, it should run Flash. If you can't find it on Market for some reason, try a known good source like freewarelovers.com.

2. Maybe, if it runs in your Android version (stock 7024 comes with 2.2 AFAIK). There is a browser in Market almost equal (even better IMHO, but I didn't do many tests yet) called Ninesky.

3. Some videos can be streamed in MP4 format, so you don't need Flash (I hope it dies actually).

4. You may be able to delete apks from /system/app using adb or a file manage, but probably needs rooting. Aldiko can import epub just fine, you just have to point it to the folder with the files and import, you don't have to download the file from a seller.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
I could load the book from the card, but Aldiko would not put them on shelf. I got tired of arguing with it and went to FB reader. FB puts books in alphabetical order, and shows the jacket. This is handy since a lot of the files are just xxxxxxauthor.epub and if you have a series it can be a pain.

I brought the tablet on a trip. For some reason, no browser but Opera Mini would let me post to groups. I could log in, but could not type. Letter color set to black and no cursor. While I am not a fan of Chrome since it doesn't turn off images on the fly like Opera and FF, I find it much better on some things on Ubuntu so was sort of looking for same type of performance on Android. I'll check out that browser you mentioned.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of flash. It's been a pain ever since it came out. Webmasters loved it, but if you were on dial-up, forget it. I can find flash on market, but it won't download. Gives me an error.

My Galaxy S4G runs Froyo 2.2 so I sort of expected the same performance. The phone is rooted and unlocked. Mostly due to bloatware. I use it as a glorified PDA anyway, but like the screen and processor.

Market is insisting that the Coby is a TMO device and has said that apps won't run. I found the apk for Astro Tools Planetarium and it runs just fine on the tablet. (I bought the original - it's now free)
I also wouldn't mind purchasing more copies of some Audubon Guides, but they don't even show up in Market on the tablet. They do on the phone.

Do we have an updated list of alternate sites for apk files and apps? I've checked out the ones listed, and some sites are 404, others out of date and there are new ones. Amazon market isn't much, and neither is apps lib.

Last edited:

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
I got Ninesky - elsewhere since market won't let me download. It works, but there's a download symbol in the notification bar that I can't clear. Can't pull the bar down.
Turned off everything including wifi, rebooted and symbol still there. How do I get rid of it?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I got Ninesky - elsewhere since market won't let me download. It works, but there's a download symbol in the notification bar that I can't clear. Can't pull the bar down.
Turned off everything including wifi, rebooted and symbol still there. How do I get rid of it?

In the notification bar on the left? If you use the Menu button while in your homescreen you should see a menu row at the bar with Notification, clicking on it should expand the notification bar.

If a restart don't clear it then there is something else wrong...

PS: stock Kyros firmware has a T-Mobile fingerprint for some reason, that's why Market shows you the USA market version.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Thanks. The notification bar pulls down on the Samsung Galaxy. Usually I can tap on the notification bar. It will post that I have an email. Tap on the bar, read the mail, and symbol is gone. I have animations turned off on phone, but a download icon is animated. This one is not.

That's really strange that a wifi only tablet would have a TMO fingerprint. I'm a TMO customer so that was confusing.

So far that Ninesky Browser looks pretty good.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
I found an older version of flash that said compatible with 2.2. It's installed, but browsers don't seem to be seeing it. If I try ESPN highlights, I just get this blurb for some kind of streaming video. Get the same with NBC and CBS. MLB just ignores flash per se. It just loads something like a slideshow. Yahoo Sports doesn't work, either. If that streaming page is just an ad, I can't close it. I've tried the installed Browser, and Ninesky.

Last edited: