fm radio

avidsurfer

Feb 10, 2013
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to install an fm radio app on my Galaxy tab that will not use my data aallocation?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to install an fm radio app on my Galaxy tab that will not use my data aallocation?

Welcome to the forum

Since that is a streaming app your your only option would be WiFi, unless I missed something. ;)

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The only way I know of to avoid data usage is to have a FM radio chip on the motherboard and use Spirit FM from the Play Store. However, most tablets do not have a FM radio chip, thus Internet radio apps that require data like Tune-in Radio are the only option.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The Motorola app supposedly will not work on anything but a Motorola device, and will only work if the device has a FM chip. Spirit FM works with many different brands. For example, my Dell Streak has a FM chip but no radio app because Dell couldn't get volume control working. A native app for the Streak was released but it illustrates the lack of volume control. The author of Spirit FM, through a lot of research, solved that problem and incorporated it into his app.

On XDA the author provides a test version of the app, limited to mono sound. If you want stereo you have to pay, or do what I did and find an old copy of the free app that supports stereo.