For those who want to go back to the basic "Out the Box Setup" Yep back to 2.1!!

Tito

Apr 25, 2011
Hey folks I want to thank all the devs and everyone who has contributed to the many roms and images in these forums. After installing the 2.3 OS in the MID7015 I wanted to go back to basics, that is back to the original configuration as Im sure many here has questioned themselves on how to do it.

Well after bricking this tablet one time and realizing the errors that lead me to bricking it I ran Into this post.

How to unbrick your Coby MID7015 - SlateDroid.com You are not unbricking it im using the link above as reference in case you find yourself with a bricked coby 7015 ( I bricked mine trying to install the wrong Image DUh)

the coby mid7015 seems to use the lonpad version which is the 2.1 OS version so you can find it in the same post, just look for it in the replies or better yet here is the link.

lonpad20101125.rar

basically you are reimaging the tablet, just like you would if you are installing the gingerbread 2.3.1 version started by tipstir except you are using the lonpad image.

I did not have any problems once XP detected the device and FWDN recognizes it. All I did was to add/install the BOOT and MTD... WORKED LIKE A CHARM.

Main reason why I went back is because I love this little tablet, as cheap as it may be but it does what I need it to do. The gingerbread image is fine and everything except it has too many things that the table does not need. This is not to say that I will not try again in the future I just wanted to go back. Hats off to all devs and contributors.

I checked the version installed in and it is a MID7015, if you want to install the coby update then get it from them and it will read 7015A. You can add other ROM update as before too.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
I was wondering about an image to get back to 2.1 if I wanted to. Are you sure this ROM has no issues with the buttons and such with the Coby?

Tito

Apr 25, 2011
Popeye1128. This is the original image that came with the tablet. I have installed it and it is the exact thing. It works just fine, just remember that you would have to re-install the gpu fix and the only coby update they put out for this tablet. Later on ill get a gpad, apad haipad or whatever they name it and make the kyros my guineapig . BTW I have learned about android OS and its many mobile applications.

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
Wow, great stuff. I was wondering if I could go back to 2.1 after the upgrade, now I know...

gorkypah

May 31, 2011
If we use FWDN to flash GB 2.3 to our MID7015 there is no way for us to go back to the Coby Kyros MID7015 ROM. It would be useful if someone with the technical knowledge could backup the ROM files for us to go back to Coby's original firmware.

fun

Aug 19, 2010
If we use FWDN to flash GB 2.3 to our MID7015 there is no way for us to go back to the Coby Kyros MID7015 ROM. It would be useful if someone with the technical knowledge could backup the ROM files for us to go back to Coby's original firmware.

did you read #1 and #5?

Tito

Apr 25, 2011
I want to recap on this thread. To get back to Android 2.1 from all those experimental ROM and Images I suggest the following.

As in post #1 you can reflash the table with the image i described above but before you do this you need to have the update from coby in your sdcard, yes you will get that chinese character and the touch screen will freeze.

HIT the reset button and as soon as you reset it press the power and silver button, which will take you to the native clockworkmod for this image then install the update.

Once that is done then you can install the gpu fix if you want it. This works for me every time.

I use that image because it does not have as much "CRAP" the tablet does not need I.E, phone features like dialker and the likes. I just wish to disable and have control over the apps that are constantly trying to get online thus consumming precious battery juice. Ill work on that.

I want to make clear that I posted this as it works for me but if you know any other way that works for you as well, then by all means share the knowledge. I did not post this to start a contest or who is better then who.

sercero

May 20, 2011
Hello moderators, is it possible to make this thread sticky or to post the link in GB 2.3.1 thread front page?

Because it has the important images and instructions on how to go back.

Thanks!

AeroToxin

Mar 28, 2011
I tried to go back to 2.1, so I downloaded the lonpad files, went into FWDN mode, and added the lk.rom and tcc8900_mtd.img to FWDN. I clicked start but I got this error: ERROR "C:\...\...\...\tcc8900_mtd.img" CRC ERROR - Target CRC = 0x74A43B36 / File CRC 0xBCCB22EE. I unplugged my the usb cord and pushed the reset, and it then shows "Android 2.1", not the normal coby screen, then it shows static. It looks all fuzzy. Any help?

Tito

Apr 25, 2011
Ok AeroToxin. it seems that you did not format the NAND (make sure that you have the coby update in the SDCARD prior to this)

1. Fireup the FWDN program without plugging in the Tablet.

2. If you take a look at the bottom half of the FWDN Window there is a drop down menu "Default Download" and "Low Format Whole Memory before download" (This will format the memory and format it) Select "low Format..."

3. Once that is done add the two files, NAND patch and lk.rom, make sure they are checked.

4. Plugin the tablet and FWDN will recognize it, Click on start and let it do its thing.

5. Next thing you want to do is add the actual image but uncheck the two prior files I just mentioned. (Make sure that the img file is checked)

6. Click start and again, let it do its thing. If all goes ok you get the Green frames.

7. Reset the table and as soon as you release the reset button press the Power and the "Silver Orb" and you will come to the "Stock recovery screen" apply the update.zip (yeah the one from Coby)

8. Once that is done boot up the device and you will have the kyros back to original settings.

**** If you successfully installed the files in step 4 but get red warnings in step 6, you may need to restart the tablet and put in the fwdn mode by pressing the power and home button and continue with step 6 ensuring that you only have the image file checked****

fun

Aug 19, 2010
just FYI,

3. Once that is done add the two files, NAND patch and lk.rom, make sure they are checked.

if size of internal NAND on your tablet is different, you'll get error when flashing NAND Data.fai.
NAND Data.fai is a FAT image to initialize internal FAT area, and it can be made yourself.
after you plugged, click "Area map" rightside of FWDN window and make NAND Data.fai.

EDIT:
I think flash lk.rom 1st, reboot, then flash NAND Data.fai(make yourself) and tcc8900_mtd.img, is better. it can be possible to make tcc8900_mtd.img from coby's update.zip.

Last edited:

AeroToxin

Mar 28, 2011
Ok it worked! Thank you Tito and fun. Tito your instructions worked, but it failed after I had my tablet plugged in and pushed start. So I did what fun said to do and that worked. A "Thanks" to both of you. :)

eruby

May 17, 2011
Ok looks like I hosed up my 7015 and need to go back to the beginning. I need a step by step beginners guide for this. I do not know what the FWDN mode is. I downloaded lonpad20101125.rar but I don't know what to do with it, I have the Coby update. I need a step by step. Please help. Thanks in advance.