For those who want to go back to the basic "Out the Box Setup" Yep back to 2.1!!

gorkypah

May 31, 2011
well, you got error when switching from Gpad ROM to Lonpad ROM?
did you reboot after lk.rom flashed and flash other files on 2nd FWDN boot?

Good luck with that. The furthest I got with lonpad's lk.rom and Coby's update.zip was the NAND size was always wrong. Coby's update.zip installed ok and the tablet booted up, but it detected a blank nand, and I couldn't mount it. I created a 4g nand image, but FWDN misreports it as 2.8g. I think there is something wrong with lonpad's bootloader (lk.rom) and 4g nand support.

fun

Aug 19, 2010
Good luck with that. The furthest I got with lonpad's lk.rom and Coby's update.zip was the NAND size was always wrong. Coby's update.zip installed ok and the tablet booted up, but it detected a blank nand, and I couldn't mount it. I created a 4g nand image, but FWDN misreports it as 2.8g. I think there is something wrong with lonpad's bootloader (lk.rom) and 4g nand support.

nothing wrong. 4GB NAND is partitioned e.g. bootloader area, FAT area, and MTD area.
create proper NAND Data.fai after lk.rom flashed & rebooted. see this how to
xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV] unofficial CyanogenMod 7/ClockworkMod Recovery 4 port for TCC8902 tablets

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
Yes, all is fine with software, my biggest problem was the operator!
My steps to success:
1. low format when installing lk.rom
2. reboot and pick other two files. If Nand error size appears, select the RH Nand graphic and recreate the Nand. (button on bottom and file name you are using at top - DO NOT pick another Nand file using the lower text box to transfer another Nand to your filename (yeah, I did that too)
3. After install reboot into STANDARD RECOVERY (Android Triangle w/ exclamation). Press Back button again and install update.zip per Coby instructions. --- Good to note here there are three Coby updates out there 1) the original - the one you want - takes you to v1.6a; 2) original modified - runs under CWM, not Standard Recovery still updates to v1.6a; and 3) the second update which takes you to 7015A locking down some features and complicating rooting & CWM installation.
4. Finally I rooted, installed CWM, and restored a previous b/u. Prior to restoring I returned Nand & Sdcard to their states prior to the install of v2.3.1 so the installed apps could find whatever they needed. It is helpful to put the needed files on your sdcard and to push a File Manager onto the (new) Kyros as AppsLib did not function due to "server error"

Having gone through these multiple installs, I found it interesting that although a much more attractive and complete ROM right out-of-the-box, the GPad version was significantly slower than what we are used to.

Goodluck!

Sent from my (newly recreated) Kyros 7015 (Watery v1.2a[mod]) using the Android Tablet Forum App powered by Tapatalk.

gorkypah

May 31, 2011
Yes, all is fine with software, my biggest problem was the operator!
My steps to success:
1. low format when installing lk.rom
2. reboot and pick other two files. If Nand error size appears, select the RH Nand graphic and recreate the Nand. (button on bottom and file name you are using at top - DO NOT pick another Nand file using the lower text box to transfer another Nand to your filename (yeah, I did that too)
3. After install reboot into STANDARD RECOVERY (Android Triangle w/ exclamation). Press Back button again and install update.zip per Coby instructions. --- Good to note here there are three Coby updates out there 1) the original - the one you want - takes you to v1.6a; 2) original modified - runs under CWM, not Standard Recovery still updates to v1.6a; and 3) the second update which takes you to 7015A locking down some features and complicating rooting & CWM installation.
4. Finally I rooted, installed CWM, and restored a previous b/u. Prior to restoring I returned Nand & Sdcard to their states prior to the install of v2.3.1 so the installed apps could find whatever they needed. It is helpful to put the needed files on your sdcard and to push a File Manager onto the (new) Kyros as AppsLib did not function due to "server error"

Having gone through these multiple installs, I found it interesting that although a much more attractive and complete ROM right out-of-the-box, the GPad version was significantly slower than what we are used to.

Goodluck!

Sent from my (newly recreated) Kyros 7015 (Watery v1.2a[mod]) using the Android Tablet Forum App powered by Tapatalk.

Hi LarryS,

What lk.rom are you using? I tried lonpad's lk.rom (one linked to in this thread), and it always misreports NAND as 2.8g.

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
here is what my nand looks like after flashing lonpad's lk.rom.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

as you can see there is only 2.8g usable, and it shows the same after using the tablet. i tried to low-format lk.rom before flashing it, nothing works.

Use the lk.rom in the IonPad download. The low-format does not change the lk.rom, just clears the previous memory. You'll see a nice Android guy and Android 2.1 on reboot.

I'm past that stage, but look at #2 in my (too long) post above.

Goodluck
If you get a Nand size error, press on the area map of Nand and it will take you to a subscreen allowing the Nand definition to be rebuilt. Do that and then proceed. Flash lk.rom (only) first (w/ reformat selected), reboot, deselect the low-format option (back to default), select Nand Data.fai and tcc8900_mtd.img (only) then install those.
Reboot to Standard Recovery and install update.

gorkypah

May 31, 2011
Use the lk.rom in the IonPad download. The low-format does not change the lk.rom, just clears the previous memory. You'll see a nice Android guy and Android 2.1 on reboot./QUOTE]

Can you link to the IonPad ROM? I never heard of it. I have been using the Lonpad ROM that was linked in the first post of this thread.

gorkypah

May 31, 2011
Use the lk.rom in the IonPad download. The low-format does not change the lk.rom, just clears the previous memory. You'll see a nice Android guy and Android 2.1 on reboot.

I'm past that stage, but look at #2 in my (too long) post above.

Goodluck
If you get a Nand size error, press on the area map of Nand and it will take you to a subscreen allowing the Nand definition to be rebuilt. Do that and then proceed. Flash lk.rom (only) first (w/ reformat selected), reboot, deselect the low-format option (back to default), select Nand Data.fai and tcc8900_mtd.img (only) then install those.
Reboot to Standard Recovery and install update.

I also have successfully installed Coby's update, but the problem with the Lonpad ROM is the NAND size is wrong. In your tablet go to Settings > SD And Nand Storage, and look at your NAND memory. It only shows 2.7 GB usable, it should be more like 3.2 GB usable. That is the only problem I am having with the Lonpad ROM.

Alvaroxer

Jun 15, 2011
I´m in the same situation here and can't find a way to get it right. If anyone manages to fix the nand partition please let us know.

Greetings!

Alvaroxer

Jun 15, 2011
I stand corrected. I managed to fix the nand partition. It's simple. Just flash the lk.rom from the GPAD instead the one from lonpad. But CWM doesn't seems to work properly with that bootloader. I couldn't wipe Data or Cache, it just hangs and apparently break some files because fastboot mode get enabled. I'll keep you informed.

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
I also have successfully installed Coby's update, but the problem with the Lonpad ROM is the NAND size is wrong. In your tablet go to Settings > SD And Nand Storage, and look at your NAND memory. It only shows 2.7 GB usable, it should be more like 3.2 GB usable. That is the only problem I am having with the Lonpad ROM.

I think you will find that is correct gorkypath - the amount of usable memory also changes as files are added. Here is part of a 7015 review from Cnet: "The Coby Kyros tablet offers a large screen for relatively little money, ... MicroSD memory expansion, and a front-facing camera. ... a tablet with only 4GB of storage (2.9GB usable)"