Force Close Messages?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
What exactly causes these? I'm getting a lot lately. All different apps-email, the market, Kindle app, Google Voice Search, etc. If I tap "Wait" all seems fine. I'm trying to figure out what the Kyros' problem is. Could it be a memory thing? I do have quite a few apps installed.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Early days of Android apps I would say. There are so many hardware variables out there. One of the reasons why Apple has a strong app store... one platform.
Google Voice doesn't work, made for phone application I would guess.
If it really gets bad, you may have to reload a stable boot save.... you do have one right????

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
There is another major cause that is related to permissions issues. You can fix this with ROM Manager which is available from the market. If you have it, look for the Fix Permissions function, which should resolve a lot of the FC issues.

jvanhare

Dec 12, 2010
I get these all the time on startup too. I just wait until they go away or click wait. Personally I think it is because the processor is too slow and the ram too limited, so the OS sees things not starting up properly and throws these error messages, when they are in fact loading properly, just slower. I am sure there is a config file somewhere where one could change the timeout setting and these messages would no longer pop-up. Do I know how? Nope. Played with Linux for a long time, but never really got to guru level of understanding all the different .rc files. I usually just type my exact problem or error in Google.

mooneybeams

Jan 11, 2011
I'm getting a lot of force closes as well. I tried the suggestion above and it did not help, but I don't have any custom ROMs installed (not sure if that matters). Any other suggestions?

Is there a way to delete google voice? I don't see it anywhere.

Thanks!

Sharon

willber

Jan 9, 2011
@Javanhare, I think you may be onto something here as I notice these FC's are now occurring on start up that did not happen before. These appear when doing a cold boot most often.
So the more apps we install, the more services must be loaded and the time to process is not enough. Interesting observation.
@mooneybeams, use a start up killer or app killer available in the market

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the help! I will check out that ROM Manager app.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Force close errors seem to be due largely to memory allocation. When lots of apps are running I see it pop up constantly, especially during startup. I've also encountered it when several apps are accessing the nand memory all at once. For instance, when market is installing updates in the background and I'm using other storage intensive apps simultaneously.

Of course if you're fiddling with a terminal editor and remove or rename system apps it also occurs. ;)

Sent from my MID7015

Beeeeeeeeer

Jan 21, 2011
There is another major cause that is related to permissions issues. You can fix this with ROM Manager which is available from the market. If you have it, look for the Fix Permissions function, which should resolve a lot of the FC issues.

This worked for me, thanks!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Usually it means the CPU is choking. This tends to happen on startup or on heavy apps.

Playing with SetCPU settings and minfree tend to help in these cases. The governors that come with the TCC8902 tend to be on the conservative side.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Thattsss whatt I saiddd. :(

Seriously though overclocking support would be nice. Patience is a virtue... one which I apparently don't have. :p

Sent from my MID7015