Format of 8gb boot sd only shows 117mb available

wookv

Jul 28, 2011
Hi,
I recently got a 8gb microsd to make a boot sd. After trying (deeper blue's) honeycomb 3.0, I now want to try phiremod instead. But when I formatted my sd card it only shows 117mb available? I understand that making the boot sd allocated the memory around, but I thought formatting it would restore everything. Incidentally, the format app on windows 7 only showed 117mb available, I could not override it to say 8gb. Help?

Thanks.

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Hi,
I recently got a 8gb microsd to make a boot sd. After trying (deeper blue's) honeycomb 3.0, I now want to try phiremod instead. But when I formatted my sd card it only shows 117mb available? I understand that making the boot sd allocated the memory around, but I thought formatting it would restore everything. Incidentally, the format app on windows 7 only showed 117mb available, I could not override it to say 8gb. Help?

Thanks.

Try EASEUS.... Free Download Magic Partition Manager freeware: EaseUS Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy and Partition Recovery Software.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi,

Thanks.

A simple pc format will not work. You can do it though if you use a program as posted above. If you don't want to download partition software you can remove the card and boot into your stock Nook. Then insert the card go to Settings unmount the SD card and then choose format. This will repartion and reformat your card back to new.

JP

PaloAlto

Jul 28, 2011
Another option is to put an 8gb image on you sd (e.g. 8gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.img) - that will recover the full size. You can then erase and reformat as you like.

Echo

Jul 18, 2011
A simple pc format will not work. You can do it though if you use a program as posted above. If you don't want to download partition software you can remove the card and boot into your stock Nook. Then insert the card go to Settings unmount the SD card and then choose format. This will repartion and reformat your card back to new.

JP

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

I have a 32 GB card that I managed to mess up, to where it only had 250 MB capacity as a boot drive. Your instructions to load the card into my stock Nook solved the problem. I am so happy right now =)

miss_kristi

Jun 4, 2014
Hi, my name is Kristi, and I am dumb sometimes. I can't help it. My unmedicated ADHD makes my fingers move without thinking sometimes.
My 8 gig is also now at 117 mb. I have a nook HD, but it won't let me unmount/format, so I need instructions on how to use the Easeus software to fix my card. I can't find a step by step tutorial, and I don't want to mess this thing up any worse than it is.
OR what "stock nook" are we talking about? Color? Paperwhite? I have no qualms about going to Best Buy or B&N and doing all that on one of their nooks. HA!