Former lurker now registered

roninfla1

Jul 7, 2012
I have the 16G on its way. Can this support GPS without a data contract? I'm really tired of paying everybody for everything. Believe it or not I plan on using the N7 as a gps on my motorcycle. I do a lot of long distance riding and most stand alone gps units are too small for my old eyes, (70 yrs). Thank in advance. Ron

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Thanks for joining!

If you have a WiFi signal, you can get directions using Navigation and it automatically caches the route for offline use.

You will need to stay on course and not reboot.

You can also get an app like Sygic or Copilot. These usually require you to pay for the offline maps.

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
From what I've read Jellybean has a feature where you can download map data from google maps so I'm guessing yes it can be for a gps even without a wifi connection.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
From what I've read Jellybean has a feature where you can download map data from google maps so I'm guessing yes it can be for a gps even without a wifi connection.

You can download the data (this is also available with the Maps on ICS) and it will show you where you are in the cached area, but it will not calculate driving directions unless you have an active internet connection.

Oh, and yes, I have tested it on Jelly Bean. Same functionality as Maps in ICS.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
You can download map sections for off-line use but the map size is limited. It is something like a 60 mile radius I believe.

tspin818

Dec 17, 2011
I recently downloaded NavFree USA to my Nexus 7 and have been using it. It is a completely free app, and can be used offline with no data connection. The nice part is you only have to download the maps for the state that you are using it in, not the whole US. This does save storage space on your device. Just delete the state when you are through with it.

Adam448

Aug 30, 2012
Hi, Yes you can indeed use GPS with google maps without internet connection however you got to follow the directions correctly as it will not find alternative route if you miss a turn.

rootbrain

Sep 18, 2012
Other mapping apps available. I use Maps with Me and you can download maps you need but they take up a lot of space. Best to download only those you know you'll need.

Rootbrain

billynibbles

Jan 16, 2012
I recently downloaded NavFree USA to my Nexus 7 and have been using it. It is a completely free app, and can be used offline with no data connection. The nice part is you only have to download the maps for the state that you are using it in, not the whole US. This does save storage space on your device. Just delete the state when you are through with it.

Yes, I apply the same logic here in the UK. Most of the time I use UK+Ireland maps from Nav Free, but when vacationing change to the relevant country to free-up space, e.g Spain maps to cover The Canary Islands. Unfortunately, there was no map for Montenegro - after you left Croatia, you just kinda 'fell off the edge of the World'. Lesson learned - take a map as back-up!

Nav Free accepts UK postcodes (like US Zipcodes) making turn-by-turn guidance to someone's gate-post a reality in most cases. Like all sat-navs, I'd still argue with it about which route to take! Not sure I want a 7" screen sat-nav on my dash though.

Last edited: