Front Camera Ceased Working After Update

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
Hi

there is a thread showing the update of the tablet. I can report having done it that nothing much seems to have changed

except perhaps the front camera.

Now in Skype I can't access the front camera, nor can I access it in the camera application. Its just not there anymore.

Unless its hidden in a setting now I guess that means that the update has 'fixed' that for me. Anyone else

Last edited:

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
yep

Change Log
Build Number – 20121008
· Add Upgrade app
· Improved Bluetooth HID support
· Remove custom Flash 10.2 app(Allows install of Flash 11 from Play Store)
· Other bug fixes
Known Issues
· Front Camera unavailable
· Panoramic Camera Mode unavailable

louisgreen

Oct 30, 2012
maybe it's the problem with the firmware. down load the firmware files from formal website, so will be sound firmware,
or may the skype version result it, change to a lastest skpye, hope this will help,

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
maybe it's the problem with the firmware. down load the firmware files from formal website, so will be sound firmware,
or may the skype version result it, change to a lastest skpye, hope this will help,
i did download the formal revision from the formal site, and that is the formal revision note from the formal bottom of the formal update instructions.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
oh yeah, and now my bluetooth headset just doesn't work at all (used to give sound but mic didn't work)

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
My front camera doesn't work, but the rear camera has an issue as well. The resultant pictures are mirror reversed.
I think Tempo will have to release another update to fix the first update........
Or flash a different rom to it.
Sent from my AMID-972XS using Tapatalk 2

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
now that you mention it I had a similar issue, but didn't worry much about it

senus

Sep 22, 2012
I have tried camera ICS from the play store, back camera worked but still no front camera.

I have access to a second, non updated 972xs and I pulled the camera.apk from that but couldn't get it to install on the updated one. Does anyone know the proper way to do this? BTW my 972xs is rooted

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
I feel like my tablet was rooted by the updates ... (although I don't have SU access, its rooted differently)

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
I have a netbook that is dual booting Windows XP and Android ICS, it appears to be rooted because I can see most directories that I should see, based on what I see with my rooted tablet and phone, compared with a non rooted device, but I cannot delete apps etc from the OS, only copy them. That is the true test of root. You need read/write access to everything on the device. SU tells me it is not rooted too.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
That is the true test of root.

there is root access, and then there is having your device rooted. Backing my car over it is one of the ways my device can be rooted. I feel like installing an update from Tempo is another (less catastrophic) way of 'rooting' it.
  • no front camera
  • Bluetooth now no longer even supports the audio of my Bluetooth headset
  • Bluetooth now has a 200ms or so break in audio "whenever" when using my Logitec 'boom box'
  • Wireless lockups (before it was "rooted" by the update)

(note: update ... up & date ... hmmm coincidence?)

Last edited:

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
there is root access, and then there is having your device rooted. Backing my car over it is one of the ways my device can be rooted. I feel like installing an update from Tempo is another (less catastrophic) way of 'rooting' it.
  • no front camera
  • Bluetooth now no longer even supports the audio of my Bluetooth headset
  • Bluetooth now has a 200ms or so break in audio "whenever" when using my Logitec 'boom box'
  • Wireless lockups (before it was "rooted" by the update)

(note: update ... up & date ... hmmm coincidence?)

I do feel your pain, but to me it's just a tablet.

I got my Samsung phone back from warranty repair today, spending way too much time getting it back to where it was at before it died. That is my main device and the tablet is a convenience. Complicated custom set ups are a PIA, but nice when working well.....

I'd be interested to find out what the end user experience is like after a few months for a Samsung Galaxy Note owner because it does cross the bridge between a phone and tab, but the size would put me off and I'd look at a large phone like 1X or S3 first.
What I could find hard to deal with is the look when holding it to my ear :eek:

Modern brick, or would you call it a paver ;):rolleyes:

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
Could I translate that to:
"to me its a plaything that I don't place any serious expectations upon"

?

Yes, I am using it like most would.

TBH, if I were to be using all the options you are, I'd not have purchased an Aldi tablet in the first place. Not to say that in any way excuses Bauhn for all these basic functionality issues, but you did buy an el-cheapo tablet to try and use as a main device.
I would have been looking at devices more in the region of $500 if I were serious about it, and would have ensured it had a 3G SIM, inbuilt GPS etc as well, and then yes, would have been upset if it did not meet expectation.

Or I would have purchased a more expensive phone with larger screen.

I use the phone for all the more complicated communications bar some of my email. The tablet is a convenience for internet browsing, forums etc mainly, thus liking the large screen.
Since getting my phone (Samsung W GT i8150T) back from repair, I've barely touched the tablet. Putting my attention to customising the phone right back to where I want it and if my business gets up and going I will look at a bigger/better phone like a 1X or S3 etc. At that point I'd probably give the tablet to the wife and her 917R would go to the children.