FroYo/2.2 Coming Week of April 11?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Just saw this thread. The good thing about an official 2.2 update is it gives developers a better base to build off of. Source based roms usually run better imo. Gb still has some flaws if you ask me and the froyo roms are mostly phone ports. Also b&n might add some extras to there OS...for instance maybe a more fully functional bluetooth or tablet based interface.

Sent from my fascinate

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
From B&N's stand point, why would they ever need anything beyond Froyo? In their eyes, they wouldn't. Certainly not Honeycomb. They didn't create the NC as an inexpensive android tablet, they created something that would generate an income stream through more ebooks sales. The profit for them from a NC sale doesn't come from the sale of the unit, but rather the sale of the ebooks following it. From a business model standpoint, it would be foolish of them to put any OS that moves users further from the 'its an e-reader' position.

I am glad to see they are actually going to release a Froyo upgrade though.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
From B&N's stand point, why would they ever need anything beyond Froyo? In their eyes, they wouldn't. Certainly not Honeycomb. They didn't create the NC as an inexpensive android tablet, they created something that would generate an income stream through more ebooks sales. The profit for them from a NC sale doesn't come from the sale of the unit, but rather the sale of the ebooks following it. From a business model standpoint, it would be foolish of them to put any OS that moves users further from the 'its an e-reader' position.

Yep, I agree with one caveat, they will eventually update past 2.2. I think this has to be for two reasons. 1) Not too long from now (if not already) 2.2 will be the "old" software and nobody will want it regardless of how capable it is of performing the task (think processor speed and how everybody had to have the most Hz) and 2) maybe it won't be honeycomb but some future android release will be taylored to tablets and even as an e-reader this is going to be beneficial compared to a "phone" OS. I would expect it to be fully massaged into a B&N experience to accomplish their own goals but still based on whatever is released as the Android tablet OS.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
B&N won't go past android 2.2 for the Nook Color first edition. Only devs are making custom 2.3 roms and Google has shown they would have android 3.0 to be on dual core cpu tabs... at the moment.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
B&N won't go past android 2.2 for the Nook Color first edition. Only devs are making custom 2.3 roms and Google has shown they would have android 3.0 to be on dual core cpu tabs... at the moment.

Yep, talking software for future Nooks, depends on the shelf life of this one though. Any bets on when a Nook 2 is released? 18 months, 24 months, never?

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
I think it is just about certain there will be another B&N ereader. The Nook has done a great job of increasing sales. They can't expect to coast on one model. All tech gets upgraded or dies out. The big question is what will it be like and will it be hackable? They could easily build a new ereader and base it on regular linux or BSD or webOS or Simbian or something else entirely that is not compatible with our needs.

WillysJeepMan

Jan 5, 2011

Do you know that B&N is selling the nook color at a loss? It was my understanding that they make a profit on each nook color sold. Obviously they are looking to make more money on ebook sales over the long haul.

B&N has not been secretive about its plans to expand the functionality of the nook color. There were quite a few press releases where they talked about apps and app stores. The latest one appeared on liliputing today: Barnes & Noble seeks third party apps for the NOOKcolor

From all visible indicators, B&N deliberately produced an ereader that would be enhanced and expanded over time to become a full-functioned tablet. I think it was a very smart move to enter into the tablet arena through the "side door".

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Yep, talking software for future Nooks, depends on the shelf life of this one though. Any bets on when a Nook 2 is released? 18 months, 24 months, never?

Well tabs just like most small electronic devices, are moving fast so I wouldn't be surprised on seeing the NC2 by the end of the year.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I never said they were taking a loss Willy...but their profit margin in miniscule at best. It has always been their stance that they are not a hardware seller, and the only reason they developed the Nook and Nook Color was as a tool to sell more books and magazines. Just because they are going to offer a few apps in their version of an app store doesn't mean that they have changed their stance. Sure, they are going to continue offering features too keep users happy and sales moving forward...but if they really weren't intending to keep the NC locked as an ereader, why keep the magazines out of the nook app?

You do realize they have two different versions of their 'app' right? The version that is available to the general public on various platforms does not and will not anytime in the near future offer all the features that we get on our Nook Color version.

Besides, opening the NC up as a full fledged tablet would allow the installation of non-B&N apps (kindle app, etc.) that would actually be taking revenue out of their pockets. They aren't going to do that.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well tabs just like most small electronic devices, are moving fast so I wouldn't be surprised on seeing the NC2 by the end of the year.

Rico, this is excatly what I am wondering. If you think about it how quickly are tablets moving? There has been a lot of talking but little in the way of development and release. As Vic points out, B&N is not a hardware seller do they really have the abilty to keep up a hardware cycle when even the OEMs aren't on regular cycles yet? The closest so far is a .5 realease of the Galaxy Tab and a second release by Apple. Possibly some releases by Archos as well though I don't know how well those follow onto the originals. I think the big guys might move into the $250 to $500 tier before B&N can get another Nook together.

Obviously B&N has a winner here but I truly don't know if they want to ride it until it is dead or if they will continue to try and break out. If I have to choose I am guessing we won't see a Nook 2 until mid to late 2012. Anybody see signs indicating otherwise?

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Honestly I do not see B&N releasing a new e-reader or anything past froyo anytime soon. Who knows if we will even get stock froyo. EOL for the Nook Color will be around August or so, if you gauge it on the average android end of life trend. But I dont think we will see a nook color 2 then as they still need to perfect their existing stock product and use it to sell more digital media. Who knows though, maybe the rooted capabilities of the Nook Color will push them to make a full tablet some day.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Wow, thanks guys. This might be my all-time favorite thread. Some very, very nice discussion going on here. And I'm glad everyone is open to talking about NC2...nothing this good lasts forever, and the next product cycle will either be something better or it won't. Kind of fun to imagine where B&N is headed.

I do agree with Vic though that B&N won't try to profit from the NC as an all-purpose tablet. Really, if they try and compete with other Android stores they'll come in a distant third or fourth. They'll have to pay devs crazy commissions to submit apps, and that seems unlikely. I know it's not a popular view, but if you look at the first two iterations of the Nook, they were Kindle wannabe's. I think the beauty we hold in our hands is just a really fortunate accident. I don't think they really planned this, and I don't think they have a good long-term plan to grow it. I think whatever we see from B&N come this November, we'll be shaking our heads and saying, "Well that's just stupid...how could they blow such an opportunity?"

-Matt

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
actually if you look at isupply's analysis (manufacturing industry analysts) they peg the Xoom at $359 bill of materials so i am guessing the nook is not that far south and yes most likely they are selling at a loss or at very very low margins - so i gotta think they must have been banking on a good revenue stream via content and i am sure ebooks is not end all be all - a wider target audience can be had with a variety of content so yes my take is they knew what product they were creating and they were going to unleash it once their content was ready

I never said they were taking a loss Willy...but their profit margin in miniscule at best. It has always been their stance that they are not a hardware seller, and the only reason they developed the Nook and Nook Color was as a tool to sell more books and magazines. Just because they are going to offer a few apps in their version of an app store doesn't mean that they have changed their stance. Sure, they are going to continue offering features too keep users happy and sales moving forward...but if they really weren't intending to keep the NC locked as an ereader, why keep the magazines out of the nook app?

You do realize they have two different versions of their 'app' right? The version that is available to the general public on various platforms does not and will not anytime in the near future offer all the features that we get on our Nook Color version.

Besides, opening the NC up as a full fledged tablet would allow the installation of non-B&N apps (kindle app, etc.) that would actually be taking revenue out of their pockets. They aren't going to do that.

Last edited:

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
I doubt they are taking a loss on each unit but even if they are breaking even, selling them to those of us who never buy a book or magazine is still a good deal for them. They need to get a large volume of Nooks out the door. It helps bring down the cost of the units when you buy/sell more units and even if you use it primarily as a tablet, you might buy a book or magazine occasionally (like me). It also gets people used to the idea of e-books. Having units out there so others can see them is good too. I would be surprised if the Nook Color 2 didn't have a more prominent "Nook" logo on it.