Froyo (Android 2.2) Running on FT2 Series Tablets! CONFIRMED!

dcartman

May 27, 2011
Santiphapc,

Thanks, I used the guide you pointed me to, unfortunately the Sdcard install had the same issues as this guide, so I tried the USB method and made the unfortunate error of updating U0, which supposedly goes just fine, until it reboots, then the text goes all funny and it never seems to finish the U0 update/diagnostic.

Now no matter what I flash or don't flash it always boots into the U0 update screen if I don't boot from SDCard in the top slot. Ugh. I'll keep trying.

Best,
Daniel

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
If anyone is using this rom, can u do me a favor (for development purposes)
Go into terminal and type
Cat /proc/mtd

Tell me the results

Sent from my Ally using Android Tablet Forum

dlzc

Feb 10, 2011
But I don't understand what ADHOC network is and whether this is related to the flakey wifi.

So can anyone advise on how to get stable ethernet/wifi?

Adhoc is from the latin "ad hoc" meaning essentially "made for this". It is just a cluster of computers and devices that intercommunicate. Other names are things like "Windows peer-to-peer network", and things like that.

The opposite of "ad hoc network", is a structured network with one or more servers, fixed IP addresses assigned for each resource / user, and so on. Gestappo-land.

This tablet has poor antennas, and or non-optimized drivers for the antennas that it has. Your experience with networks is as bad as everyone else's. If your WiFi router has the most current drivers, and / or is new product in the last three years, you have done everything you can do, shy of not updating your tablet further, once you have a firmware that works.

dlzc

Feb 10, 2011
If anyone is using this rom, can u do me a favor (for development purposes)
Go into terminal and type
Cat /proc/mtd

Tell me the results

"this ROM" means what dude? I am running 3245, updated from 1168 or some such.

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Im looking at the communitys superpads and making sure of partitions are correct

Sent from my Ally using Android Tablet Forum

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Code:
dev:    size   erasesize  name
 mtd0: 00200000 00080000 "ramdisk"
 mtd1: 00600000 00080000 "kernel"
 mtd2: 08000000 00080000 "resv"
 mtd3: 0c000000 00080000 "system"
 mtd4: 3d800000 00080000 "userdata"
 mtd5: 04000000 00080000 "cache"
 mtd6: 1ff00000 00080000 "Local-disk"
 mtd7: 00100000 00080000 "panic"

thehunterx

Aug 6, 2011
I had upgrade FW 3245 Android 2.1 this version verry good ,about ver 2.2 i think got many issue need testing . Who had upgrade sucessful pls share experience about new firmware and error still happen.

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Code:
dev:    size   erasesize  name
 mtd0: 00200000 00080000 "ramdisk"
 mtd1: 00600000 00080000 "kernel"
 mtd2: 08000000 00080000 "resv"
 mtd3: 0c000000 00080000 "system"
 mtd4: 3d800000 00080000 "userdata"
 mtd5: 04000000 00080000 "cache"
 mtd6: 1ff00000 00080000 "Local-disk"
 mtd7: 00100000 00080000 "panic"

This is what mine shows as well, from the stragulus v5 sdcard.img 2-pass install...
Model number disco
Android version 2.2-update1-20110221
Baseband version unknown
Kernel version 2.6.32.9
infotm-sqa@infotm-sqa-desktop #50
Build number FRF85B

Camera does not work.
GPS does not work.
These problems I attribute to apparent internal storage failure(s). System itself seems good.

Last edited:

dlzc

Feb 10, 2011
Camera does not work.
GPS does not work.
These problems I attribute to apparent internal storage failure(s). System itself seems good.

The memory in these devices is almost WORM (Write once, Read Many), in that the number of write cycles is limited. I doubt that you reinstalled Android 100k times, but every installation, and clearing cache (, installing programs, downloading apps, ...), is doing so on a limited number of write cycles.

At some point, they moved the system RAM to an SD card you can swap out. When you have the thing open for the glass, you might see if you can clone the chip and swap in a new one...

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
The memory in these devices is almost WORM (Write once, Read Many), in that the number of write cycles is limited. I doubt that you reinstalled Android 100k times, but every installation, and clearing cache (, installing programs, downloading apps, ...), is doing so on a limited number of write cycles.

At some point, they moved the system RAM to an SD card you can swap out. When you have the thing open for the glass, you might see if you can clone the chip and swap in a new one...

It FELT like 100kX, for sure! But wasnt.
No good on the SDcard-type storage... there are 2 chips. One is a Samsung (like K9GAG08UDE) that is typical in, for example, USB sticks... The other is different and I didnt recognize the chip.
I BELIEVE it is a NOR-based flash (the Samsung being a NAND) which is supposed to have FAR MORE writes than the NAND type.
I wish it DID have the SDcard... WinHex would be able to clone that pig EASY!
Ah... wishful thinking! :D

Last edited:

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
As of TODAY I now have it 'pretty much' where I want it.
I finally got the stragulus 2-part load to accept the 0.6.1.5(587) nand,
and with IT, the camera now works.
GPS still does not seem to work... it still does not show the little icon... and I dont care... much.
Last nite I hosed it by removing the userdictionary.provider.apk and spent most of the nite and part of today figuring how to get it back.
Now running the Gingerbread keyboard... MUCH BETTER.... smaller and seems to be more responsive. The others take up nearly HALF the screen! Geez! :eek:

(How? the 2-part load has the system in a tar.gz file... little effort to untar the system and pluck out what I needed. Just required a little 'thinking'.)

It seems that TitaniumBackup does not ACTUALLY restore everything...
Apps that are selected for restore end up being MANUALLY reinstalled... THEN it will restore the DATA if it has been requested. Not QUITE what I expected, but....

I think Im done trying to 'make it better'... give-or-take a new/replacement app or 2! :D

Still leering at the HP tablet tho.. :p

dlzc

Feb 10, 2011
I think Im done trying to 'make it better'... give-or-take a new/replacement app or 2! :D

Still leering at the HP tablet tho.. :p

Yes, I gave up on my iCan over the weekend. I let the battery go low, it simply went black, and when I powered it back up, it was back to only the original applications installed, and I was back in China. Market said they were still there, but no icons. [Even had user / login information on the tablet that wasn't mine, so iCan sent me someone else's reject.]

You can cover the sow's ear in silk, but there is still sow in there somewhere.

Last edited:

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Yes, I gave up on my iCan over the weekend. I let the battery go low, it simply went black, and when I powered it back up, it was back to only the original applications installed, and I was back in China. Market said they were still there, but no icons. [Even had user / login information on the tablet that wasn't mine, so iCan sent me someone else's reject.]

You can cover the sow's ear in silk, but there is still sow in there somewhere.

I know its a PITA, but the MENU button provides a 'ADD WIDGET/APPLICATION' tab (depending on if its on the 'top' screen or the 'home' screen... whichever has the grid-pattern(WIDGET), not the house pattern(APP)...

You SHOULD be able to get them back on screen that way... just takes a while.
IF you did a TitaniumBackup before that happened, it SHOULD be able to get all the system settings back for you.... TB would be the 1st to be 'getted'.
Hope that helps!

OT
IF you use mypad to open /local, does it show you 511Mb with 0MB free?
Im still trying to confirm that my unit has trashed storage, and this is ONE area that others can help out with.
Thx for any info!
Lee B
(IK... some imagination! :p)

Last edited:

dlzc

Feb 10, 2011
OT
IF you use mypad to open /local, does it show you 511Mb with 0MB free?
Im still trying to confirm that my unit has trashed storage, and this is ONE area that others can help out with.
Thx for any info!
Lee B
(IK... some imagination! :p)

I am running 3245.
MyPad reports:
Total:511MB,Free:506MB

Settings-> SD card & device storage settings reports:
0.91GB Available space