Froyo questions

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Hi, my NC is rooted, on 1.1, running the 1.1Ghz kernel (all backed up using CWM). I'd like to try installing Froyo on it next (I hate not having Flash); should I revert back to stock before trying this? Is there a version of Froyo that is the most stable?

Or am I better off jumping to Gingerbread or Honeycomb (or just continuing to wait because none of them are stable enough yet)?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I am liking the Phiremod Beta Version 2...it seems pretty darn stable right now, and you don't have to do the whole changing of CWR thing.

It doesn't matter what version of the B&N you are running, as it will wipe all that out...so make sure to do the backups (and use something like titanium backup to backup your apps for easier reinstall after you make the jump.

Then go download flash from the market after you are setup.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
Just googled and downloaded that version Froyo. I also downloaded the 1.1 overclock for Froyo/Honeycomb sd. I currently have 2.1 overclocked to 1100 with CWR. I have 3 sd cards, 16, 8, and 4 class 4. How would you use these resources to install mod 2 Froyo.

Sent from Android Tablet Forum App

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for the feedback; I've downloaded the file and am charging up my NC in prep for installing it.

I noticed that when I did my nandroid backup, it skipped a couple backups because of files/folders not found: sdcard/.android and sd-ext. Is this of any importance?

Also, I have been using a dedicated 4GB sdcard for rooting and such, then switching to a 8GB sdcard for actual content. I'm assuming there is no need to have it all on one card?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
jinnijinn, just keep it the same...use your 4gb card to make the jump, then the 8gb for your stuff...

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I installed the phiremod v2 successfully and removed the sdcard, then put in my content sdcard. The problem is that when I plug the nook into my pc, I cannot access the sdcard. Error is 'please insert disk into drive H.' I've read the warnings about reformatting the sdcard from inside the Rom...does that only apply to the card I used to flash it, or all sdcards?

I also cannot boot into clockworkrecovery using the rom mgr...did CW get uninstalled during the upgrade?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I can't answer all your questions but the formatting issue is due to the phiremod ROM, you can't use it to format any card because it doesn't contain the default nook format codeing. It will not give you a clean slate card and will cause issues no matter the card.

Edit: Oh and CWR should still be there. all you are doing is flashing a ROM so nothing should change about CWR but I don''t know why you cant boot into it.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I installed the phiremod v2 successfully and removed the sdcard, then put in my content sdcard. The problem is that when I plug the nook into my pc, I cannot access the sdcard. Error is 'please insert disk into drive H.' I've read the warnings about reformatting the sdcard from inside the Rom...does that only apply to the card I used to flash it, or all sdcards?

I also cannot boot into clockworkrecovery using the rom mgr...did CW get uninstalled during the upgrade?

Did you install the beta2 rom via clockwork internally or did boot clockwork recovery off sdcard?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Don't use nook to reformat sdcard with phiremod it could screw your nook up. Use a Mac or PC computer to format card.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I formatted the sdcard on my PC, and can now access it for file transfers via Samba wireless, but it still won't open if I plug in my NC.

Regarding CWR, would it mess anything up to flash it to my NC again at this point? It really acts as though it's gone.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I formatted the sdcard on my PC, and can now access it for file transfers via Samba wireless, but it still won't open if I plug in my NC.

Regarding CWR, would it mess anything up to flash it to my NC again at this point? It really acts as though it's gone.

Its ok to flash clockworkmod recovery again via rom manager. You may have lost recovery if you formatted boot when installing rom. Just make sure nook can see sdcard.

Also when nook is plugged into computer does an option pop up on notification bar that says USB connected. You need to select that and turn on usb storage if u want to transfer files.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Success; CW is re-installed and I can boot to it.

The issue with sdcard access appears to be that, on my PC, the sdcard is being integrated into drive G (My NC) instead of being accessible as separate drive H (H still shows up on the list, but I can't get to it that way).

I like Froyo/phiremod beta2 on my NC, but do see a number of bugs, especially with video and podcast players not working right, displays of menus being unreadable because of text color, and for some odd reason location services are not working. I'm going to keep playing with it, but may revert back to 2.1. My heartfelt thanks for all the help I've received from the other posters in this thread.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
I am trying the [ROM] Customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 Image for SDcard Updated (2/25) over at XDA. I downloaded the 2GB image and expanded to 8GB since the 8GB image would not fit on my Sandisk 8GB class 4 card. I used the partition app mentioned in the XDA thread to expand it to 8GB. I did the Settings > Applications > Manage Applications fix for Market and Google Services Framework (note must set to all to see both). To make Flash work, I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player 10.1 and sideloaded Adobe Flash Player 10.1.120.1-fixed.apk from my Mac. I then setup an account at Crackle.com on my Mac using my Google email and then logged in with Nook Dolphin browser, went to all movies, bookmarked the page and played 3 10 to Yuma. It stuttered in window and full screen mode. I downloaded from XDA the developer's free version of SetCpu. Set the profiles according to thread here for max thru put for HD. Can any of you see if this flash movie plays better with Froyo/phiremod beta2 or on SD/Froyo with a class 6 or class 10 install?